It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Eyjafjallajökull erupts so does Katla

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
History has shown that when you see Eyjafjallajökull erupt, shortly there after, the Katla caldera also erupts.

Eyjafjallajökull in March 2006, viewed from a recreation area on the Sólheimajökull, a glacier on the Katla volcano Over the past 1,100 years, Eyjafjallajökull has erupted four times: in 920, 1612, between 1821–1823, and in 2010. Each of the first three of these incidents preceded an eruption in the nearby subglacial volcano, Katla.[9] Katla – a much more active volcano known for its powerful subglacial eruptions and its large magma chamber, much larger than that of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano system – has not shown any unusual activity, such as expansion of the crust or seismic activity. Some geophysicists in Iceland support the notion that the recent volcanic eruption at Eyjafjallajökull may trigger a second eruption at Katla, one which would cause major flooding due to melting of glacial ice.

en.wikipedia.org...

The crater of the volcano has a diameter of 10 km and the volcano normally erupts every 40 - 80 years. The last eruption took place in 1918, meaning scientists monitor the volcano very carefully. Since 930, 16 eruptions have been documented. The Laki craters and the Eldgjá are part of the same volcanic system, so it can be regarded as one of the most powerful in the world.

iceland.vefur.is...

I am afraid that Katla could easily negatively change Earth's climate in a short period of time if it erupts with the ferocity that it is capable of.

Buy some gas masks, and bottled water if you live in Europe, you might think about the possibility of some catastrophic Volcanic Doom.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by downtown436]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
content.usatoday.com...

The potential eruption of Iceland's volcano Katla would likely send the world, including the USA, into an extended deep freeze. "When Katla went off in the 1700s, the USA suffered a very cold winter," says Gary Hufford, a scientist with the Alaska Region of the National Weather Service. "To the point, the Mississippi River froze just north of New Orleans and the East Coast, especially New England, had an extremely cold winter. "Depending on a new eruption, Katla could cause some serious weather changes."

Eyjafjallajokull, the Icelandic volcano that has continued to belch lava, ash and steam since first erupting last weekend, isn't the direct problem. It's Katla, the noisier neighbor, that's the concern. If lava flowing from Eyjafjallajokull melts the glaciers that hold down the top of Katla, then Katla could blow its top, pumping gigantic amounts of ash into the atmosphere. Scientists say history has proven that whenever the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupts, Katla always follows -- the only question is how soon.

Seriously people get ready.

It's coming.

2010, the year with no summer.

Get ready for food shortages, and global crop failure.

Get food, guns, ammo, water filtration and storage.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

It was actually the Laki volcano which erupted in 1784. It is in the same system as Katla which is 31 miles south east. Katla erupted earlier last century and produces enormous flooding. Laki produced the sulfur-dioxide and Franklin had come up with the hypothesis when he visited in 1784 that it would lower the earth's temperature.

However, given all of the man made global warming, I'm sure the effects of either would just push us back to where we are supposed to be anyway; unless the additional CO2 sends us in to the world of Al Gore and the earth starts snap freezing.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I've been stocking up on food and we have a fireplace. What else should I buy for this disaster if it happens?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
As far as what to stockpile, here is a fairly recent ATS thread on that topic, with a great many responses of helpful ideas:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Water is number 1, I'd say, along with a decent water filter. Shelter, a back-up home heating method, and of course storable food, a back-up cooking method, an extensive home medical kit (there used to be something available for purchase online called "Hospital In A Box") are some of the top items mentioned. In addition, get to know your neighbors...it's best to live in a community where there are problem-solving resources that will meet your needs.

Oh, and store as much as you can, since not even all of your "like-minded community" will necessarily bother to prepare.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
I've been stocking up on food and we have a fireplace. What else should I buy for this disaster if it happens?
Masks, but not just the surgical ones. Those will help, but it will still get through. The ash will pile up in your lungs, and suffocate you. Some sort of mask would be good.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Plenty of time Katla has erupted but caused NO effect on the climate!
Only once, the fissure Laki, which is actually belonging NOT to Katla but to Grimsvotnvolcano, caused some dramatic effect on global climate, back in 1783-1784.

However, the interesting thing is that both volcanoes can erupt simultaneously, and have done so, in the past. And more interestingly, is that both Hekla and Grimsvotn have had increase magma pressure during the past few weeks, a sign of near eruption. Both are very explosive and the ash can add up to have a clear effect on the climate.

This could be in two weeks, or within the next two years.
The great problem is of course the airplane disruption.
2011 or 2012 could be years without a summer. Could be, but we don't know yet.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

I would get some freeze dried food, some gardening tools, a really good water filtration system and a big water storage tank. 150 gallon tank would be good.
-seeds
-medical supplies
-gas masks/filters

You should visit the survival forum on here, there is a ton of good info.

Plan on not being able to ever go to the store again, and stock up on what items you will need to survive if everything is covered in ash for a while, and the power grid is down, and there are no services.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by segurelha

That is good. Maybe it won't be too bad this time either.

I'm getting a little spooked by all these various factors of doom going on all at the same time.

In fact I am about to go shopping for some needed gear and supplies right now.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't like summer, so I don't mind if it disrupts the climate--at least, not too much.. maybe a 8c difference is ok. for summer.

But higher lat's would be too cold.

IMO, The others will erupt. With the plates really moving lately, It's inevitable...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
So if the big one Katla blows afterwards (and a few others for the worst case scenario), basically half of the planet will surely go into a cooling period but the problem is how could global-warming advocates forgot that scientific fact into the equation? And since volcanic ash cause global cooling, we will obviously have to wonder what global warming has to do with volcanos. But then again, volcanos can also emit CO2.

It is still strange that this mini ice age would start just in time for the solar maximum predicted for around 2012.
Solar activity should neither be underestimated.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Very serious Question?How would these multiple eruptions effect North and South America???????

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
can someone with knowledge on volcanoes explain when the bigger volcanoes might erupt and what effects might they bring to europe and the whole world?

thank you in advance

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I really dig your outlook.
I am ready... of course for me it needs to be Yellowstone. One day...
Yeah dont forget to shovel the ash off your roofs before it rains..

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I have a strong feeling that this is THE BEGINNING OF AN END FOR EUROPE. THIS VOLCANO AND PERHAPS MORE OTHERS SOON WILL MAKE EUROPE UNINHABITABLE.

If you're in Europe, I recommend you get out of there ASAP if you don't want to suffocate to death.
The ash will build up more and more, your water supply and livestock will be poisoned. famines, etc will follow. get out to Asia, Africa or North/South America. if you wait longer, they won't save you or accept you in their borders.

there are many prophesies of Europe being flooded and uninhabitable. Save yourself and your family before its too late and run away to another continent or Russia/Asia while you still can and while it's possible to cross the border.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Given how global our food supply has become (for the developed world) I think it's most likely that if one of the bigger volcanoes did go off and the ash had the right concentration of the right stuff to poison livestock, the result would be economic trouble and massive inconvenience for Europe, but hardly the end times. Let's not forget in all the fun gloom and doom scenarios that we really are extraordinarily lucky to be alive today, as opposed to 300 years ago when volcanoes went off without warning and people unknowingly ate poisoned livestock and died horrible deaths from it. I don't think that even if Katla did go off tomorrow we're talking about a volume of ash that would collapse roofs, (outside of the immediate area) like a massive Yellowstone eruption would.

I think we'll be ok, I really do. I think some of us maybe need to take a deep breath, look around and be grateful.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

Only someone with knowledge of the future can say that, so if they do not have that ability they can only assume. You search for patterns in past eruption to see the interval and also the key factors that triggered the eruption. The effects depends on the size of the eruption, I can only list you some: from long and cool winters for a year or more, to earthquakes and tide waves if the eruption is near the shore or underwater volcano. In the past the worst eruptions blocked the light from the sun from one year up to four, meaning permanent night ( winter night) all around the globe. That is the answer how South America or Africa could also be affected. As I said it depends on the size and duration of the eruption.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Flooding is a HUGE concern on Iceland if Katla blows.

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Katla has been showing signs of unrest since 1999 and geologists have concerns that it might erupt in the near future.Particularly, monitoring has been intensified following the March 2010 eruptions of a smaller neighbouring volcano beneath the Eyjafjallajökull glacier. The eruption of this nearby long-dormant volcano in March and April 2010 prompted fears among some geophysicists that it might trigger an eruption at the larger and more dangerous Katla. In the past, all three known eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull triggered subsequent Katla eruptions.

At the peak of the 1755 Katla eruption the flood discharge has been estimated at 200,000–400,000 m³/s; for comparison, the combined average discharge of the Amazon, Mississippi, Nile, and Yangtze rivers is about 266,000 m³/s.

Excerpts from Icelandic newspaper article in which volcano experts are quoted (translated to english):

"75 percent chance that the monster volcano awakens"
(good photos in article at link given at the end)

Dagbladet) - In three out of four cases when Eyjafjallajökull have an outbreak then the big neighbor Katla also got one, "says volcano researcher Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson to Aftonbladet TV

Volcano researcher believes that it has happened at the same time or at a later date when Eyjafjallajökull have had an outbreak.

Katla volcano crater has a diameter of 10 kilometers and has an outburst by about 40 and 80 years. The last eruption was in 1918, but a smaller outbreak in 1955.

- There is no rule, but it means there is a high probability that Katla is an eruption in the near future, perhaps within a year or two, "said Gudmundsson.

Tsunami

Reidar Trønnes is a professor at the Institute of Geology and Mineral Resources Engineering at NTNU. He said that geologists and civil defense of Iceland has prepared a major eruption in the volcano Katla since the early eighties.

- Katla is considered to be a volcano on overtime. Main Outbreaks from the two volcanoes have historically been timely close, "said Tonnes stating that Katla typically has had two major outbreaks in every hundred years.

- Will there be a major eruption, we expect major flooding, massive tidal waves and tsunamis, "said Tonnes.

He explains the impact course with plenty of water emitted by the volcano's caldera, and will flow down the east side of Mýrdalsjökull that glacier covering Katla. Water will hit the ocean with great power and water levels will rise dramatically in several minutes. This will generate a tsunami that is likely to destroy the lower parts of the village of Vik , Iceland.

Monster Vulkan

Dagbladet has previously described the risk of an outbreak of the monster volcano and geophysicist Pall Einarsson at the University of Iceland supported the then up about Gudmundsson statements.

- Based on past eruptions and historic events at the Katla is likely that there will be an eruption in the near future after the activity at Eyjafjallajökull, "says Einarsson .

Prolonged

The volcano under Eyjafjallajökull of Iceland, at worst, continue to spew ash into the atmosphere for months, fear experts.

It is very variable how long these outbreaks goods. Everything from a few days to over a year. After the outbreak of intensity to judge, it appears to be prolonged, "said Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson geophysicist.

According Thorsteinn Jonsson of Iceland's meteorological institute lasted an outbreak for about one hundred years ago in a whole year. It could happen again, he warns.

- But the outbreak also ebb out in two or three weeks, as some other similar outbreaks have done, "he said.

[link to translate.googleusercontent.com]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by betweentheworlds

Yes, that is such a great idea. I guess all the africans coming to Europe because of famine and general malaise in Africa will be overjoyed when everyone decides to pack up and head to Africa.

I bet we will find a lot more food and clean water in Ethiopia!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Does anyone know what the status is of the volcano at present, its difficult to find out - is it still erupting or slowing down etc?

Also what is going on with these graphs, it looks like seismic activity is getting worse?

hraun.vedur.is...

Then there is the helicorders that show a continuous rate of activity:

www.simnet.is...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join