It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you protect yourself from killers or robbers?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

thisguyrighthere is correct... go back and reread his advice over and over then make a plan with everyone in the house...

As for my advice, your not Rambo... If you know someone is in your residence, call the police (if possible), take cover, and let them come to you. If a gunfight develops, you will have a tactical advantage.

If a fire fight does break out...Take cover first, and then return fire if necessary. Don't stand out in the open and shoot it out with a bad guy if there is cover available. At the very least, present the smallest target possible by crouching or going prone, as a soldier would in a fire-fight. windows and doors are kill zones never stand in one to just peek...

The benefits of using a flashlight are mixed. You can use it to identify your target, which is absolutely necessary, but it also tells your opponent(s) exactly where you are. If there are multiple adversaries you can expect to immediately draw fire from all of them if you turn on a flashlight. Personally, I'd rather turn on the room lights than a flashlight. better still leave it dark, if your like me you know your own house better than they do.

As for weapons like most I recommend a handgun with a 4 inch barrel, not longer not shorter... the why is if your opponents(s) get close enough you don't want to point a nice long barrel they can use as a handle to wrestle said firearm away from you...The why not shorter is small barreled guns can be hard to control well.... Long-guns, rifles and shotguns tend to be poor choices. Barrels to long to swing in a confined space and I'm pretty sure my old hunting 30-06 will punch through maybe three of my neighbours homes before stopping.

I will say this, if you cant devote the time and money toward becoming more than proficient with a handgun, buy a shotgun and 2 3/4 00 buck for it...
up close its the equivalent of taking nine rounds from a submachinegun

My last bit of advice is if you really do shoot someone, keep your mouth shut! say the wrong thing to an investigating officer and you might not only end up locked up, but line yourself up to be sued as well...
If they insist you Politely but firmly state only that you fired in self-defense and in fear of your life, and that you intend to assist the police investigation as soon as your lawyer allows you to make a coherent statement.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Greetings,

In regards to close quarter combat with a knife, the most effective and efficient method of attack on an unsuspecting individual, according to my research, is what is known as the "Prison yard rush" or "Bulldog".

Read more about it here

And some here

In short, you explosively rush the unsuspecting target. Your secondary (non weapon) hand's purpose is to claw and rake at their face, pushing their head back to off balance them and expose the vital neck region. Your primary (weapon) hand is engaging the exposed torso with stabbing and slashing at them almost randomly. During all of this you attempt to preserve your forward momentum and continually force their guard upward to keep them on the defensive, off balance and unable to effectively retaliate or neutralize the assault.

I'd like to reiterate how extremely effective this technique is at putting someone purely on the defensive and inflicting as much pain and damage as possible in the shortest amount of time. It takes a very disciplined mind to avoid panic and even entertain a method of effective counter attack in this situation.

I'd also like to emphasis that performing this correctly requires full, unreserved commitment on your part to neutralize the attacker. It's brutal, reckless, and extremely difficult to plan against or neutralize once engaged.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ha, good job i mastered the death touch.

On a serious note, the most important thing is to get all children and family to a safe room, or atleast a room furthest away from the thugs. My house is fairly linear which puts me at a disadvantage.
The thugs come in my house and are pretty much in the kitchen, so getting a knife is out of the picture; so are guns as England sucks.
Generally thugs are looking for an easy target, and i don't like backing down. If two people looking to easily rob my house with maybe just a baseball bat or something i don't imagine they have trained for this. Stealth is the main option, sneak up on one and try to knock him out; this is if they separate. If you are seen then i would try and talk my way out of it - well, that's all you can do.

Oh, i forgot to say calling the police is a pretty decent idea too.

I remember reading an article in the paper about a man who called to report two robbers in his house and the police said they couldn't reach him, so he told the police that he had shot the robbers and they were round in seconds. I'd probably try that.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In the UK the average citizen can own firearms very easily. It's called a shotgun certificate (SGC) and all you do is fill out an appl. form and have a cop come around to shake your gun cabinet a few times. Job done go out and buy a gun and shells. Easy as.

Im my case it's a semi-auto shotgun that can take 3 shells.

Believe me I can tell you a friend of mine confronted a would-be burglar creeping up the stairs.
The burglar ended up staring down the barrel of a shotgun and soon skedaddled his scrawney ass out of there. No shots fired although the guy later told me he had one chambered and said if he'd taken another step he'd of done a tony martin on his ass

This was in the UK and it did go to court!
The Shotgun owner didn't lose his gun or suffer any jail time.
+1 to UK gun owners

If you're squemish about the lethality of birdshot then there's always blanks and rocksalt

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Good thread with some intelligent replies, here are my thoughts:

Firstly, I'd scrap the idea of sleeping in a locked bedroom, obviously everyone's home layouts vary but the words fire hazard spring to my mind when thinking
about sleeping in a locked bedroom.

Think about it logically; there maybe times when you need to get out of your bedroom very quickly, you don't want to be wasting time unlocking a door when someone has thrown a Molotov cocktail through your window - you want to get out of that room asap.

I'm sure there are other scenarios where you would need to get out of your room quickly, a locked door is more a hindrance than help in my opinion.

Secondly, there's been too much emphasis on the intruders already having accessed your home, of course it makes sense to prepare for that eventuality (I'll give my thoughts on that later) but surely it makes more sense to spend time on preventing the intruders gaining access in the first place?

Dogs are a great deterrent as people have already mentioned but what about home alarm systems? Okay I'll agree that most models on the market aren't exactly brilliant when pitted against an experienced career criminal or a security professional but I'd wager they would deter 80% of home invasion attempts.

The siren going off will also wake you from your sleep and give you time to prepare.

Double glazing and good, high quality locks and doors are a must. I'd also recommend deadbolts for the front and back doors and also a security chain, a lot of home invasions occur when the intruder has forced his way into the home past someone standing at the door.

Sleeping with a mobile phone or having a landline telephone in the bedroom is also a must, I always sleep with my mobile phone next to my side and I also have a torch in my bedside cabinet.

External security lighting triggered by PIR sensors is also another very good idea, especially for people who have large drive ways where an intruder could hide in the dark.

Drive way and back garden gates would be useful and it might even be a consideration to purchase security stripping to line the tops of any garden fences you might have.

Finally, what if they manage to defeat all of your security and actually enter the house?

Well like people have already mentioned, obviously it depends on the exact circumstances but I'd say that if possible fight for your life. It's your home and no one should be allowed to illegally enter it, let alone put the lives of your family in danger.

It's quite rare here in the UK for a criminal to break into a home armed with a gun, the weapon of choice would be a knife so if I lived in a house for example and heard an intruder down stairs I would be at an advantage as the intruder would have to ascend the stairs to reach me.

I'd throw anything and everything I could get my hands on down the stairs at him to hopefully he would get the message and piss off, I'd throw the mattress down if I had to, effectively blocking his passage up the stairs to me and my family.

Finally I agree with others that its a sensible idea to hide weapons around the home just in case, I'm going to purchase a Jo staff for the exact same reason.

Improvisation is key and like people have already said, anything can be used as a weapon.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I know this is a serious question and deserves a serious answer.
Everyone has their own ideas as to how to protect their home and
family.

I have two dogs to start with that hear everything at all hours of the
day or night.

Next, I have Mr. Smith and his brother Wesson close by. After that I
have their cousin Ruger and his friend Remington. Whatever you do,
protect yourself and don't lie down for the scum of the world that
would like to break into your home and steal your hard earned cash
and valuables and then do you bodily harm. And keep your friends loaded.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Other than the traditional weapons mentioned, anyone here ever use a flare gun for emergency defense, or is that just in the movies?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I don't think it would be a very good idea to set off a flare gun in an enclosed area, such as a bedroom to scare off a thief or attacker.
It might work outside but I believe you will be involving the fire department
real fast if you set if off indoors.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
Other than the traditional weapons mentioned, anyone here ever use a flare gun for emergency defense, or is that just in the movies?

At risk of burning you house down or being charged with arson. Not the best choice of weapon, especially since we are talking about ways to protect yourself in advance

I bet it would hurt the person hit with it though...or just make them angry...hope for the first, as I doubt you would have time to reload.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78

As endtimer says I reckon you would probably do more damage to your house in the long run, scrap flare gun; think mace, baseball bat, club, knife, gun, crossbow etc

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ok if you have a knife dont use it especially if they have knifes to, both of you will end up dead from a knife fights. If they are burglars they would want to get in and out without trouble, dont turn any lights on and dont use flashlights if you have a gun or any other weapon, stay in a safe place/room that has only one vantage point, then go to another place and make yourself known say you called the cops and you have a gun and they should leave. Then head back to the safe spot and listen and watch if they are robbers they will most likely take of, if not then still dont ingage just be aware of your soroundings/were they are at, and if they come into you line of sight shoot them if you miss i would not get in a knife fight. It's best if you keep a cellphone, gun for long range and a bat for close range fight. I collect swords and have a katana usually in my room, and let me tell you that thing is #ing dangerous in a close up fight it will turn anybody into hamburger, even if they have guns, up close.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The very best wepon is your mind!!!! And how you use it!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
think asymmetric
examples:

Retreat
things can be replaced, people can't

If that isn't possible

This the way I think about it

A 2 or 3 million candle power halogen flash beam in the intruders face to blind him
The police used to carry these six "d" cell size heavy duty flash lights and used them like clubs

Or use a couple of bowling balls or the like at the top of the stairs.

Big old daisy shaped valve handles that comfortably fit your hand
can do massive damage in close and are found in the scrap.
Gently toss one at someones head or solar plexus
in the dark like a frizzbee...or underhand one full force at someone's chest
and /or as brass knuckles ...evil
Tie one to a stick with 6 inches to a foot of decent rope
super evil

learn to under hand big heavy flat head screw drivers at three feet away
(hold by the handle when tossing)

Mono filament fishing line strung with noise makers at entry points
across stairs or tied to a door so it will slam

ornamental wall hangings...
one of the Spartans most deadly weapons was his shield.
Crunch feet or up into chin, edge into solar plexus or just the bums rush strait back and out the window or down the stairs or over the coffee table..
swords and thrusting javelins..
A big stick /quater staff
chains pipes tools

I wouldn't recommend potato peelers though they didn't work to well for those poor folks on the Gaza aid flotilla
not against assault helicopter gunships, and assault boats

use your imagination
keep it simple

retreat or concealment is always the first option
live to fight another day

Don't flash the goods around

I hope we never have to worry about this...but

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Nice thread. I often go through such senarios in my head. Although I don't have any guns (I really should though) I have quite a few melee weapons in my bedroom, at my disposal. Most are at an arms length away. My trusty shillelagh is right next to my bed. A good wack with that baby and the intruder is out cold...plus it makes a great walking stick for a nice hike! If the intruder has a gun though, I'm screwed

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Scenario 1: You wake up in the middle for the night, 2 guys in masks break into your house with knives and guns. You have to protect yourself and family. What do you do? Hide behind a corner with a knife and wait for them to cross that corner? What are ways not to choke up and crawl up into a ball? This is a serious question, to do with survival in your home, when someone breaks in meaning to do harm?

Fearlessness! Because you have to become the power for your family to survive even if you sense they will kill or try to kill you stand your ground and carefully pull out the long or short arm and if they are in your house take a couple leg shots so they cannot run out if they shoot back TAKE THAT EYE FOR THE EYE THEY TOOK FROM YOU BY ENTERING YOUR HOUSE W/O PERMISSION.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
When i hear them trying to kick down the door i will grab my can of bear repellent(super duty pepper spray) and as they step into the hall i will give them two seconds of it and close the door.
Then i will take the military gas mask i have and put it on.

Now i have tactical advantage.
With my 1911 .45 and a 50,000 volt cattle prod i can go out and if they are still there handcuff them and open the door for the cops and let the house air out.

PS if i find them with a weapon i will just shoot them. no warning.
The pepper spray was the warning

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
hello and may you and yours never have to go through anything like this.
as stated before i cannot stress enough the importance of keeping a phone of some sort at bedside, and a weapon that suits your temperment and geographical location.

and i know this is not exactly what your looking for, i do have a handy tip for people who live alone. always lean an umbrella or a cane or something of that nature on the closed closet doors before leaving, and when you come home and the item is moved..chances are someones in that closet and you should evacuate immediately. and if you have a daughter who lives alone or in a dorm please pass this on.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
They just want your 'stuff' as a means of temporary relief..ooook, so let em have it. Take your family and run--go.

Yet, have your safety-net hidden elsewhere.

Have your bugout bag buried in a specific spot in the woods (or yard/cottage) in waterproof containers to come back for at a later date. Always have this spot in mind and tell all of your family members about it. X Marks the spot kind of relocation area in case you all get separated temporarily. Food, supplies and shelter included in one or more spots that you all know about. Anyone robbing or attempting to kill will do so for the unimportant things that will be of no value once TSHTF ...give them their false sense of security and give it up willingly. Your life, and the life of your family is worth much more than your tv, stereo and dvd player at that point. Be nice though, be sure to leave them a lil pantry of soup for their last supper.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
one lay low.. Live in a unpopulated place.. small tows ect.. crime is low already and easy to deal with...

I'm pretty well off but don't show it , I make my yard look like crap, have older (yet perfectly good) cars "laying around" "garbage" in the driveway etc.. it makes my property taxes lower and .. every bit of the detractive stuff is preparedness stuff.. For instance I have older diesel vehicles .. there old junkers by most peoples standards.. however that combined with the 600+ gallons of vegetable oil I have stored is transportation that can survive even nuclear war.. The diesels are pre-electronics. they are totaly mechanical and will run on any oil based fuel and are not reliant on computers to run.

I walk a fine line with our city council .. they hate that my yard is cluttered, however I'm in compliance with all there by "laws".. however we have few since were a very small town, and having served on the council and my wife currently on the council helps also.

We had a "crime wave" here .. and the cops were useless.. we actualy figured out who in town was the culprit and basically told the cops to check them out.. then after that we drove these new pwopl out of our town.. Small towns are like that word travels fast..

however for personal protection.. arm your self and educate your self on how to properly use them properly... hopefully youll never need to use any arms, by laying low.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
M-M-M-M-M-MULTIKILL-KILL-KILL-KILL.
HEADSHOT!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join