It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you protect yourself from killers or robbers?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Pull out .40 Smith and Wesson.

Turn on laser sight.

You would be amazed at how quickly thugs change their mind when they see a laser dot in the middle of their chest....

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
reply to post by Dock9

Remember, this is no small pcoket knife, im talking about a full fledge butcher knife, those things are deadly. But I know what you mean.

The problem with guns/knives: In a struggle they have a 50/50 chance of going either direction, even while still in your hands. With a bat/club, they can still get turned on you; however, it's harder to get hit with one while still in your possession.

But, as with anything in life, if you are a proficient user of any given weapon, then that will improve your odds.

Element of surprise is key in theses scenarios. Of course, so is evade and escape.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Dock9

Remember, this is no small pcoket knife, im talking about a full fledge butcher knife, those things are deadly. But I know what you mean.

Yes, I knew you were visualising a decently sized knife

It's not my weapon of choice, but I have a feeling you've put quite some store in the knife and as we know, they're a deadly weapon

A sharp knife, if used no-hold barred on major muscles, would put even a monster sized attacker on the ground screaming like a child

But I'd be slashing rather than attempting to stab, at least until the attacker was on the ground. Because a slash -- if made with strength -- has the potential to drop an attacker. Whereas a stab might just hit fat and his adrenalin could anaesthetise him for long enough to kill you

The legs or neck seem the logical places to slash, because of the major arteries and tendons you could hit

But of course I'm only theorising. Could be wrong

Bush-knives (sort of sickle shaped but broad near the handle) are obviously very deadly. Not too many people survive a few decent chops with a bush-knife, if news reports are anything to judge by. And they give you more room, too. Because you gain an extra foot or so distance between you and the target. Pretty terrifying too, when wielded by a pumped-up home owner in defence of his family. Doubt too many attackers would feel like hanging around if they saw you flailing a bush-knife around

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

Would be lovely to have a nice big gun to point in attackers' faces

But unfortunately, many of us live in countries where citizens are not permitted to have firearms of any description

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
If danger of break-ins are especiallly serious in your area, make everybody sleep in the same room, use empty tin cans to fall when windows are compromised or something so if in the night, you hear a clattering crash of tin cans falling to the floor, get ready. Phone the police if you cannot escape and are in proximity to a phone.

If it is possible to escape, do not fight- Do not waste time callling the police- Immediately escape into the street. 1st choice.

Worse case is the attacker has a gun and you don't, rendering your homemade weapons worthless unless you surprise them.

If you have to fight- Throw dark obstacles on the floor near the door and your postition to trip up your attackers, make weapons easier to kill or disable, like driving or drilling nails through wooden baseball bats, throwing clouds of sand and other nasties in the attackers eyes before you attack with your weapons and if you are fast and strong- make long spears with knives at the end, paint all weapons dark so they do not shine in the night, and train yourselves AND EVERYBODY to be able to use these weapons successfully, with accuracy and strength.

Without accuracy and strength your weapons are next to useless.

If it gets down to hand to hand fighting attack the softest parts of the invader's body- eyeballs, testicles, throat, among other fragile places, be a wildcat.

You have teeth- use them.

Train yourselves in counter defenses or escaping, like preparing for the moment your weapons may be turned against you, however the attackers may be distracted at this point for your family to run away, and therefore so can you.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Wait for them to pass by, jump up, grab the closet one. Wrap your warm around his neck, and the inside of your elbow goes beneath his chin and right onto the front of his throat. Flex. Use your second ahnd to apply pressure to this arm. PULL BACK. Take his balance and swivel so he is facing his friend, and try to keep your head down. In about 3 seconds, if you do it right, he should pass out. Wait longer dont let go. If you can keep him in this position for 7+ seconds it should kill him. Take his gun, his knife. If his friend is a good criminal hes either shot you or he's run.

There's no good way to take both on at the same time without a gun, even if you have a knife that I can think an untrained person could handle.

My advice, get self defense training.

If you stay close to the ground after the first guy, cut the second guys thigh INSIDE. Deep inside. Cut it many many times. Use front kicks to keep him from getting your chest stabbed. If you cut the femoral artery he will bleed, very fast. Literally in 10 seconds he'll have bled out.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Miraj]

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Miraj]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think most people would recognize the sound of a pump action shotgun being racked. If the sound of my Remington 870 being racked does not cause them to turn around and head back the other way, they had better not make a move toward my door. The second I hear the door knob jiggle a spray of buckshot is going through the door. Of course that's provided my alarm didn't frighten them off to begin with.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I have lethal and not lethal weapons all over my house. They are not just laying about, but they are hidden within easy reach in case I need them. I do not have kids and none come here so it isnt an issue before someone jumps on me about it.

I lock my doors at all times. I also lock windows unless I am specifically using it.

I train with my weapons in many fashions for many scenarios.

When I wake up in the middle of the night and I do not know why, the first thing in my hand is a weapon. The next thing is the phone for my girlfriend to call the police. She waits for me to tell her to do so unless she has reason to believe I am incapacitated by use of sight or our codewords/signals. Depending on the situation, she will either talk to the operator as usual, or if there is danger nearby she will just call and hang up on 911 over and over until she feels she is safe again. Kinda strange, but it 1 will surely get a response, and 2 it gives her something hands on to focus on to quiet her and calm her as much as possible. If she cannot talk, it is the best way to go.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
1. You ensure your home is secured and do not obscenely parade your money around. You dont become a target.

One bullet rarely can stop a man, not even a direct head shot, which will require very close quarters.

Really depends on the bullet. My speer Gold Dot 230 grain hp 45ACP has a 98% one shot stop in the line of duty. So yes I most likely only need one round but thankfully I have 10 close and readily accessible for any would be robbers. Protect your home and family just in case.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Like a few others I am from the UK, Scotland in fact. I have 3 grown up kids now but when they were young we had practiced plans for diffirent scenarios.

Although the nightmarish fear of finding someone in your home through the night can be dissabling you do have some advantages over the burgler/ robber.

Firstly, you know the layout of the house, all the nookes and crannies, all the sounds each door makes, the squeek the 4th stair from the top makes as you stand on it. You have the advantage of having the choice to shout " I have called the police" or saying nothing and preparing to deal with the situation yourself.

Secondly you have a weapon. Be it a knife, a club or even a piece of furniture.

Thirdly, it is probably dark with maybe a torch being held by the intruder so have an advantage of knowing where to stand, crouch in the darkness.

Finally, and most importantly, you know your going to strike first and second and third till the intruder may be dead, but you dont care because you are protecting your loved ones.

Another " Must have" is a phone in your bedroom, be it a house or mobile phone. If you have kids they must be practiced in hiding in the cupboard or under the bed in their room.

Finally IMO if an intruder makes a run for it due to bottling it or worrying that the police are on their way. Dont chase and coral them outside. Let them have an escape route when they get out of your house and you stay inside with all the lights on waiting for the police to arrive.

These are only my thoughts on the matter.

Respects

[edit on 17-4-2010 by captiva]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
It all starts with preventative measures and deterrents. Then have a plan developed just in case those fail; which, most likely, they will not.

When not at home:
-never post on face book or other places that you intend to be out of town.
-keep lights/radio on while gone (or have them on timers)
-have friends/family stop by to pick up mail & news papers (if anyone still gets news papers)....or call the post office and have them pause delivery while gone.

One product I really like is a "FakeTV" which mimics a TV being on at your home.

www.faketv.com...

I have one and I looks very realistic.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
First, I live in the country... my drive way has a gate across it and it is sturdy enough that you have to open it. Next, my yard and fields are fenced and cross fenced. Then there are the dogs...big ol' happy mutts that love my family and bark at anything and anyone not normally there.

Next, when we go to bed..our house and yard is dark...really dark. Hard to get around unless you know it intimately. Plus, there are steps and porches and uneven ground and walks and flower gardens and borders with prickly pear cactuses...oh, and lots of fruiting and vigorous blackberries...with lots of thorns..oh, and the climbing roses.

Next, after the dogs have awakened me... and I'm looking down on whomever from above... with my 12 guage with an extended tube and more shells... well, it's a matter of wait and ambush.

Here in NC, our state legislature passed a law about 20 or so years ago called the "Make My Day " Law. If you are in your home, and someone illegally invades it and the occupants/residents feel endangered... you can shoot and KILL the intruder... with NO ramifications.

Welcome to NC...........

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

One bullet rarely can stop a man, not even a direct head shot, which will require very close quarters. You will still have some energy to grap him and pin him down. Rigour Mortis sets in quickly and he will not be able to lift you up.

Thats incorrect, Rigor Mortis does not set in that quickly. It wont be noticable for about 3 hours, and reaches it peak after 12 hours. So unless you are a really really big guy, most men will get you off without ant trouble.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gromle

Are you guys serious...Maybe I am misunderstanding? Are you saying a direct head shot from a gun will not stop someone....Well I do not know who you are talking to but i would like to meet this "magical" guy you are referring to.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Gromle

Are you guys serious...Maybe I am misunderstanding? Are you saying a direct head shot from a gun will not stop someone....Well I do not know who you are talking to but i would like to meet this "magical" guy you are referring to.

I think he meant that if I got shot in the head, I somehow could use my momentum from rushing the guy to pin him down. And that rigor mortis would set in really quick so that my dead, stiff body would pin him down.

I know, it sounds really wierd...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
if your going to use a knife the best way to ambush an intruder would be to lie flat on the floor next to a door way in the dark the second the intruder passes by you immediately slash or slice right behind the knees if the knife is big enough you can even stab right behind the knees. This will almost guarantee you severing a major artery. it will most likely drop him so you can inflict more damage but i doubt you will need to because he will bleed to death very shortly.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Another question would be if you have children what have you taught them to do in case of emergency/intruder? I have small children 2 5 and 3 months....

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Gun truths and myths
------------------------------

1. A gun needs to be 'gun sighted' and practiced often (3mths at least) before one can use it accurately, or it will just simply shoot projectiles radomly.

2. One needs to aim to hit a person at the vital points inorder to bring the victim down. If not, he will only be shooting blindly and inaccurately.

3. To aim, it takes breathing control, muscular firmness and finger discipline to pull the trigger to get it right. It will take 3 to 4 seconds to be accurate. A victim can easily cover 25metres (room range) to reach him.

4. No matter how good the shooter is, there is a recoil caused by the explosion of gun powder. That recoil will cause the gun to jerk upwards from its intended aim point. Even if the gun is held sideways, the result is the same.

5. There are ballistics at work when a bullet leaves the gun due to gravity, as well as bullet velocity,eg 800m/s. As it leaves the gun, its velocity ( max spin for penetration) is smaller.

At short distances ( room range) the bullet is not powerful enough to cause considerable damage as oppose to longer distances.

6. The chances of being hit is extremely low if the shooter fires from the hip, which has no aiming potential and bullets would just randomly fly, even on auto mode.

Combined with ballistic and gun jerk, the chances of hitting vital parts of the body is nil. Real life is different from movies.

7. If one is hit under such circumstances, a person dies more from bleeding over time than an immediate organ mulfunction caused by a bullet.

If your will to live is strong, there is still energy within the human body of a few seconds more to perform the attempt to take down the attacker, to stop him from causing fruther harm to you or to others.

Knowledge is power. This info is only for those who intend to charge into an armed killer( not robber ) at close quarters,( room range ) afterall, you can't hide, but at least there may be a chance to live if you can overpower him and medics get to you on time.

If not, in such situations, you gonna die anyway, better to die in a blaze of glory than in meekness.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Scenario 1: You wake up in the middle for the night, 2 guys in masks break into your house with knives and guns. You have to protect yourself and family. What do you do? Hide behind a corner with a knife and wait for them to cross that corner? What are ways not to choke up and crawl up into a ball? This is a serious question, to do with survival in your home, when someone breaks in meaning to do harm?

Well guns and knives? Like one guy has a gun and the other has a knife? Or each guy has a gun in one hand and a knife in the other?
Do they have black and white stripped shirts with the little masks that zoro wears?
Why would i hide from these guys?
Just grab the shotty from under the bed. Just have to wait till i hear em both in the hall way and boom both of em gone.

reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

1. A gun needs to be 'gun sighted' and practiced often (3mths at least) before one can use it accurately, or it will just simply shoot projectiles radomly.

2. One needs to aim to hit a person at the vital points inorder to bring the victim down. If not, he will only be shooting blindly and inaccurately.

3. To aim, it takes breathing control, muscular firmness and finger discipline to pull the trigger to get it right. It will take 3 to 4 seconds to be accurate. A victim can easily cover 25metres (room range) to reach him.

This all really depends on the type of gun. With the larger revolvers it is pretty much point and shoot very very easy.
With semi autos, now those are a lot harder to learn how to aim.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by Darkrunner

Would be lovely to have a nice big gun to point in attackers' faces

But unfortunately, many of us live in countries where citizens are not permitted to have firearms of any description

For "Home" defense, are you allowed to have a "super soaker"?
www.simplycollectables.co.uk...

I can think of a number of ways to defend myself at close range with one of these.

How about a speargun or pistol crossbow...sure, only one shot by hey, thugs usually don't stick around long if one of them receives one of these to the chest.
image.made-in-china.com...

onlinesavers.co.za...

And Let's not forget about a Potato Cannon: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271614446&sr=1-1

Or a nice flame thrower: www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_5

Or just buy one of these propane short range flamers: Against a gun, your probably toast with this but against a knife wielding opponent... haha! I think if you come out with one of these that they will look for the exit unless they REALLY want to kill you.

www.flameengineering.com...

[edit on 18-4-2010 by infolurker]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join