It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google: A Racist Search Engine or are the People Who Use It

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It's racist against everybody....

So clearly, it's racist. it doesn't come up with positives for any race, it embraces perceived downfalls.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Oddly, putting in "why do African Americans" brings racist suggestions. I just find it odd that racists would use politically correct language.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Kaploink]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyleOrtonArmy
It's racist against everybody....

So clearly, it's racist. it doesn't come up with positives for any race, it embraces perceived downfalls.

lol it's not racists, it's just showing what people are searching. If you see that as racists you may be finally seeing how americans are. It's wake up time. Time to open up your eyes, and shine!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
And for some reason I don' find most of them racist at all.

Example:
- Why do black man have big lips?
- Why do black people have white palms? etc

Coming from a country that has a populaton 99% the same race, when I moved to America one of the things that struck me is the huge diversity of races (Well, at least here in the NOVA area it's that way) and how easy is to pin point one from the other. Facial features of african americans are pretty different to white, and whites are pretty different from asians. Why would it be racist to ask about those differences?

The few google suggestions that are in fact racist or simply weird can easily be attributed to 4chan 'memes'. Example:

- Why do chinese girls taste different?

It's a meme that makes reference to a james bond film. Mr. Bond actually asked that in one of his movies and 4chan community laughs about it pretty often. That community is large enough to shift internet trends on short notice and sadly quite a few of them are (or at least pretend to be) racist.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by daniel_g]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

Just because it makes you uncomfortable does not mean it is racist.

By any chance PhotonEffect, are you running for a political office?

Doesn't make me uncomfortable at all actually. It's just that to me some of the things that Google suggests seems a bit racially motivated. Now I understand that these suggestions are given based on others searches and it strikes me as odd that Google doesn't filter these out some how.

And yes, I guess it did surprise me that so many people are typing these phrases in.

Some might find it funny and perhaps I may have chuckled at some too, but never the less they seem inappropriate IMO.

Am I running for a political office?
No, I'm definitely not. I despise politicians.

Really this all just stemmed from me being bored on a Saturday afternoon as I nurse my hangover.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Google is a global search engine, so it's not just Americans who use it.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
Oddly, putting in "why do African Americans" brings racist suggestions. I just find it odd that racists would use politically correct language.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Kaploink]

That is certainly a little odd isn't it.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

We made the list

[edit on 17-4-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Why do people worry about what others think of them
Why do people get offended so easily
Why do people insist on political correctness
Why do people waste their time worrying about other's opinions
Why do people let their little feelings get hurt.....awwww....poor babies.

I'm sorry but I'm tired of all the cry babies. People need to grow up, not everyone is going to like you. Some may even dislike or hate you for no good reason. That is their problem, they've got something wrong with them for being so ignorant and biased. I'm just sick of all the adults that feel like they need to be handled with "kid gloves'.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
Why do people worry about what others think of them
Why do people get offended so easily
Why do people insist on political correctness
Why do people waste their time worrying about other's opinions
Why do people let their little feelings get hurt.....awwww....poor babies.

You should google these and see what comes up

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Some of these racist and offensive stereotypes are the results of something called a "Google Bomb", it's where a group purposely tries to skew Google's search results by repeatedly linking to a racist search result or repeatedly enter in racist search terms.

Google explains racist search results

It's just racist idiots trying to get their messages of hate and stupidity exposed.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect
..The people using Google can be considered racist for typing such things, but Google has not done its part in filtering these terms out...

I do not condone racism or find the results listed in the OP to be positive, beneficial, or in any way useful.

However, the idea that Google filtering out any results based on content would be considered "doing its part" is also disturbing to me. Where do you draw the line at what should be filtered out and what should not? What if they start filtering political content? How about sites for "those wacky crazed conspiracy theorists?" Would you like that?

There are many things on the net I find disturbing and personally offensive, but at the same time I don't feel anyone or anything owes me the "right" not to be offended. Let information flow freely and eventually the truth will shine on its own accord. Once you start censoring search results you are on a slippery slope indeed.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Good find and Star for you. I wonder if that's the same sort of thing thats happening with these Google suggestions... Either way it doesn't seem that Google is too concerned about it

It's just strange to me that no matter what race you type into the search box, the results, for the most part, are derogatory in nature, with nothing else that would be considered useful or positive. You get up to 10 results that drop down offering suggestions and most of them are stereotypical or racist in nature.. It makes me think that there's something deliberate going on here...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 17-4-2010 by PhotonEffect]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

Racially motivated yes. That is because as you already know, it is user derived data.

I feel as if it does make you uncomfortable seeing as you made a thread calling it racist, when most of the suggestions are true.

If anything, you are acknowledging/implying that such comments ARE racist/derogatory.

So you think black people having big lips is bad? Seems so if you classify it as a racist remark.

If not - then WTH IS THE POINT OF THE THREAD?!?!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join