It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Air Travel In EU Grounded... Where are all the Zeppelins??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Im not a plane expert by any means, hence the question...
Maybe this whole thing with the volcanic cloud across Europe could make aircraft designers think more out of the box in terms of aircraft design..

Maybe with current technology the old Zeppelin idea could be updated... They could be made huge, be solar powered so be greener than airplanes... They can go high too as was proved by that guy who sent a balloon outside the earths atmosphere and took pics of the earth....

Just a thought.... Do any of you guys know how feasable it would be?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Hi!

Not sure about Zeppelins - I know there are a couple of companies still designing 'airships'. Link below might be of interest?

www.modern-airships.info...

Also I'm in Berlin and the Rosinen Bomber (the Raisin Bomber) a DC3 used in the Berlin airlift is quite happily flying around - slow, at at low altitude and with propellers - but at least it's moving!

Peace!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Seems the planes are gonna be grounded a while.

Aviation experts say the volcanic plume has caused the worst travel disruption Europe – and the world – has ever seen.

"I've been flying for 40 years but I've never seen anything like this in Europe," said Swedish pilot Axel Alegren, after landing his flight from Kabul, Afghanistan, at Munich Airport; he had been due to land at Frankfurt but was diverted.

Scientists say the volcanic activity has increased and showing no signs of abating. More travel chaos is on its way. I think its only the jest that are effected, something to do with the volcanic dust turning to glass coating inside to jet itself. So in that case prop planes would be ok. So too would the Zepp. Im still waiting for the ufo sightings, surely they wont be stopped by a little dust. Personally I think the europeans have enough alternatives to air, they have great rail for the most part. Some poms reckon their stuck here in oz paying hotel bills till its over but I dont see why they couldnt just catch a flight to the edge of the no fly zone and train it home.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I personally believe we do need some major redesigns of our consumer aircraft at least.

The problem is many companies will not be prepared to buy a new product if they do not have the same opportunity to have the same or similar profit margin.

Whatever it is, it either has to have similar or lower operating costs and be able to carry the same amount of passengers. Or it has to be [enter percentage] cheaper to operate for every [enter percentage] less passengers they can carry.

Until something cataclysmic happens and / or the focus on money is removed sadly I think the current 'sardine cans' are all we are going to see for the next century or two.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well John Bonham is dead. John Paul Jones is playing with "Them Crooked Vultures". Jimmy Page looks like death warmed over, and last I heard Robert Plant was doing covers of songs with a female artist.

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

But don't zeppelins use engines as well? So those engines would seem to be susceptible to ash damage too.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Woul't recommend Airships becaus look what happened to the hindenburg

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
There is no reason for airships. All that has to be done is make the slimebags that have the antigravity technology hidden from us bring it out and the problem is solved.

It is ours, we paid for it and they are hiding it. Anyone who does not think we have it is just plain kidding themselves.

Or.. we could go back to the good 'ol days of elegant transatlantic oceanliner cruises.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

The reason for the Hindenburg disaster is because it used hydrogen. At the time America pretty much had a monopoly on helium production and had a ban on exporting it. So, while the Hindenburg was originally designed to use helium, it had to be modified to use hydrogen. All modern airships use helium as their lighter-than-air gas, which is not flammable, unlike hydrogen.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Break out the elite Tesla ships.
Dust in the sky has no effect on them.
Hitler had one of those zeppelins built with the Tesla drive system.
Some people think Germany went to the moon in the 40s.
Too bad no one else got there.
People should pay more attention to the events in the world instead
of making themselves look foolish to the elite.
They will walk all over you.
They have locked up the minds of most of the world.
Lets have a big elite congratulations day for their effort success.

[edit on 4/17/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Just a thought.... Do any of you guys know how feasable it would be?

It's feasible technically...sealed motors could be made to run, though if solar powered remember that the volcanic ash could block the sun, but at least the blimp doesn't have the same tendency to crash that jets do when the engines quit working. You'd probably want battery reserve to backup the solar power.

But it's probably not feasible economically. This hasn't happened in 40 years so who's going to maintain a fleet of aircraft for a once in 40 years event which seems like the only use it would get. They would be too slow to compete with jets when the jets are flying.

new topics

top topics

join