It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

china quake bodies burnt on pyres.sad.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Textnews.bbc.co.uk...

About 700 people who died in a massive earthquake in north-west China on Wednesday have been cremated outside the worst-hit town, Jiegu.

wow i find this really sad,

Another 417 are still missing and 11,744 have been injured, a rescue spokesman told the Xinhua news agency.

too many EQ's lately..such a loss...

Tibetan cremation
The victims were cremated by Buddhist monks

About 700 people who died in a massive earthquake in north-west China on Wednesday have been cremated outside the worst-hit town, Jiegu.

After being blessed by chanting Buddhist monks, the bodies were placed in a trench and set alight.

The number of people known to have been killed in Qinghai province has risen to 1,144, officials say.

Another 417 are still missing and 11,744 have been injured, a rescue spokesman told the Xinhua news agency.

Tibetans traditionally perform sky burials, which involve chopping a body into pieces and leaving it on a platform to be devoured by vultures.

Thousands homeless

But the authorities have decided to cremate victims because of fears that disease may spread rapidly.

"The vultures can't eat them all," said one local man.

Local monks constructed a huge funeral pyre near Jiegu township.

After the earthquake, many residents of the largely-Tibetan town turned to the monks and their traditions for help, rather than a central authority dominated by the majority Han Chinese.

Thousands of people have been left homeless, with many having to sleep outdoors in freezing temperatures.

BBC's Damian Grammaticas: 'A huge cheer as they dug out a young girl'

The rescue effort is continuing, but it is four days since the earthquake hit, the chances of finding more people alive under the rubble of Jiegu are growing slim, said the BBC's Quentin Sommerville.

Many of those who survived the quake have endured days without proper shelter or food. The town lies high in the mountains of Qinghai, the air is thin and the temperature often drops below freezing at night.

I understand the reason because of desease's spreading, but still sad to me....

[edit on 17-4-2010 by baddmove]

[edit on 17-4-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Tibetans traditionally perform sky burials, which involve chopping a body into pieces and leaving it on a platform to be devoured by vultures.

I think Id rather be cremated!

This is a sad, sad thing..My heart goes out to this country..if I were younger, richer and healthier, well I wouldnt be me, but seriously..Id hightail it there to help out!!! Many blessings to them.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Thank you YFL..i understand what you mean..i wish i could help also,

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Thank you YFL..i understand what you mean..i wish i could help also,

Honestly me too! I know that its terrible that disasters bring out the best in people, but maybe thats a sign, we all need to stick together..im sure it wont be the last disaster.

top topics

join