It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Label Inclusion of Nanomaterials in Yunnan Baiyao, 100 year old TCM Patent Medicine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I wanted to add an *abovetopsecret* source of nanofibers that's very popular among tradition chinese medicine users, even boasted to be more popular than penicillin. The reason I say that is that the formula is a genuine albeit old Chinese State Secret.

Here's the researchers who found some unlisted ingredients: nanofibers!

Off-Label Inclusion of Nanomaterials in Yunnan Baiyao, 100 year old TCM Patent Medicine

I won't even suggest pinning Yunnan Baiyao as a cause of Morgellon's, but I want to point out that there are likely millions of people who have unwittingly consumed nanofibers in one form or another.

The history of Yunnan Baiyao is a saucy one. The Viet Cong carried these packets with them to battle and the subsequent true stories of their highly successful use in battle and in civilian life have circulated freely.

Nanofibers in the Yunnan Baiyao are not as disconcerting to me as the rumours of biological agents included in the formula and the fact that continuous excessive consumption is referred to as an almost guaranteed way to deplete your bone marrow stem cells, aging your immune system prematurely, a very poor health choice that is not always cheaply remedied, but less dangerous in the immediate term than bleeding to death.

My point is, when you're facing bleeding to death, and handed for the first time a government supplied secret formula super blood stopping pill you know for a fact it will help save you, chances are you'll trust your government and take the pill, regardless of doubts about secret ingredients.

I know I would.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by elusive1]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by elusive1

S&F

Are these nanofibers manmade? And if that is the case, how were the Chinese able to produce it 100 years ago?

It seems we learn new things about our world, and our history, every day.. Thanks for the post!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheNorthernLight

I admit I don't have the full text, and it goes $113 retail and that bioconnect link is lagging badly. Here is a citation and the quoted abstract.

Identification of Nanofibers in the Chinese Herbal Medicine: Yunnan Baiyao
Scott C. Lenaghan, Lijin Xia, and Mingjun Zhang
J. Biomed. Nanotechnol. 5, 472–476 (2009)

Yunnan Baiyao is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine that has been used to treat wounds for over 100 years. Here, we use Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) to determine nano-scale structures of the Yunnan Baiyao. AFM images revealed uniform nanofibers present in relatively high abundance in a solution of this medicine. Fibers were typically 25.1 nm in diameter and ranged in length from 86-726 nm due to processing. Due to the unique adhesive and structural properties of nanofibers, we concluded that these fibers may play a role in platelet aggregation, leading to clotting, and the sealing of wounds.

Manmade? 100 years ago? Curious. There are a lot of unknowns. Abstract says nanofibers were 25.1 nm in diameter and ranged in length from 86-726 nm. I do not doubt that there are nanofibers in nature which can be extracted using 100 year old + technology. To me the question is, did they actually test a 100 year old version of Yunnan Baiyao, or a new version and if so have they just been updating a notoginseng based formula along the years with these nanofibers being added as a new ingredient?

[edit on 17-4-2010 by elusive1]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Hello Elusive1, here you have the fulltext pdf, I managed to get it.

Uploaded to ATS Media Portal.

However, the size is somewhat big, 13 MB.

Now you can see any missing detail from the Abstract.

Identification of Nanofibers in the Chinese Herbal Medicine: Yunnan Baiyao

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

reply to post by TheNorthernLight

Source? Yunnan Baiyao in this study was from "a Chinese Grocery Store", Ranch 99, Milpitas, CA.

Are they Manmade or Natural Nanofibers?

The nanofibers are most likely carbon based due to their extraction from a variety of plants, and carbon nanotubes have been demonstrated to have the greatest effects on increasing platelet activation.

There are in general two possible ways for nanofiber formulation. The first is through the compounding process that these nanofibers are created from a variety of different components. The other is through small plant fibers, such as lignin, that are naturally derived from the crushed herbs.

I am learning that there are some reports of using nanofibers coated with DNA to assist fiber mobility and gene delivery.

Immobilization and release strategies for DNA delivery using carbon nanofiber arrays and self-assembled monolayers.
Nanotechnology. 2009 Apr 8;20(14):145304. Epub 2009 Mar 17.

The DNA-modified nanofiber arrays were then used to impale, and thereby transfect, Chinese hamster lung epithelial cells. This mechanical approach enables the transport of bound ligands directly into the cell nucleus and consequently bypasses extracellular and cytosolic degradation.

At first I thought I might be comparing apples and oranges since the nanofibers with dsDNA were gold coated for using the gene gun approach. But plasmid DNA could still stick to plant derived carbon nanofibers to produce "functionalized carbon nanofibers". Impalefaction is the manner in which DNA may be transfected using carbon nanofibers.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by elusive1

I googled the store with the address in quotes "Ranch 99, Milpitas, CA", and this seems to be it.

www.99ranch.com

The store has chinese alphabet characters in the logo, almost sure this is the store referenced in the fulltext.

join