It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's population to grow to 42 million by 2050

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Stuff that - vote Greens.
Stable Population Party - what are they gonna do? Lobby for a naval blockade and forced sterilizations of foreigners?

Stuff that. Don't vote at all.

People are born free. Voting ensures slavery. Voting is an illusion of freedom that is bestowed upon the slaves by their masters. Your vote won't matter and neither will any other vote in your community.

Why shouldn't a person be allowed to wander as a freeman across the planet? Borders and national identity are control barriers to enslave people and people fall for it with their tribal bonds.

There's a sickening arrogance where some people in Australia, want to maintain their 'quality of life'. Yeah, right... at who's expense? Probably half the population of the world suffers to ensure that our 'quality of life' is served up to us daily, with minimal fuss. Find something in your house that's not Made in China.

Life is like a lottery - born in the 'right country' with stable parents and you should do ok. Put yourselves in the shoes of the illegal immigrants, wouldn't you try to settle in a better country than the one you left?

Welcome to planet Earth where most people are NOT born equal and the privileged ones do their best to make sure that it stays that way.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Voting is one of the only things that we can do to directly influence our political environment - Lib/Nat and Lab are pretty much the same, the Greens are an actual alternative with a chance of winning seats.

Anyone who donkey-votes is a douche in my books.

Throwing away one of the only extended hands.

I agree, voting once every four years as a representation of democracy is BS. But its what we've got to use - so use it. Its not the be-all-and-end-all to an individuals political activity, but its something.

Unless you live in a totally self-sufficient community - which you don't, if you're using a computer - you should vote.

Vote Greens.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Funny how it's COMPULSORY to vote in Australia, yet your vote probably does not count anyway.

Why are you grasping at straws? When did Australians volunteer Australia to be the haven for illegal immigrants? Should we just disregard what is best for people living here so that we can offload some of that guilt you are talking about?

If you want to live with your head in the sand and pretend that continued Mass-Immigration is good for this country, you are free. Just don't call us who care about and love the country arrogant for wanting to preserve our identity.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
Why shouldn't a person be allowed to wander as a freeman across the planet?

Me and five of my mates are moving in to your home in Melbourne.
As free wanderers, that is our perfect right.

What are you giving us for dinner tonight ?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Well 32-36m more people just isn't enough for a country as big as Australia! Let's keep things the way they are and maybe we can hit 42m by 2050 - only 6m higher than the previously projected figure. Who cares about infrastructure, health care and prosperity for the majority of Australians? We want more immigrants! The more the better!

When will this madness end and when will the quality of life for the average Australian be placed before the desire to be the country with the greatest number of immigrants? Mass-Immigration is not the only cause, but it is one of the most significant reasons why we are soon headed for a cataclysmic overpopulation crisis.

[edit on 17/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

This was only published as an excuse for recent rejection of Sri Lankan and Afghani refugees.. Nothing interesting to see here..

Australia is freakin huge, more people doesn't mean average Australian won't have good quality of life, it will be the same.. When population increases, the government will gain more tax money, and more work force.. That will create more opportunities within Australia.. Right now Australia needs alot of workers, and they are bringing doctors, engineers, etc etc from other countries to fill gaps in the work force..

Shortage of workers both in Australia and New Zealand..

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

To tell you the truth, one of my friend recently moved to Australia, he was a Somalian, one of my relatives also recently moved to Australia, I might move to Australia next year..

I can get to Australia because I'm a NZ citizen, See you guys in Melbourn. I want to tap some Australia chiks... Can't wait

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Well, what do you expect with the last Government's plan of "Bonk for your Nation" and then this Government increasing the Baby bonuses, they want more people people.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

That's the precise reason why this whole planet is screwed.

Instead of asking me how you can help work with me so that we can all eat, all you do is ask me what I'm going to serve up to you.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
After I read this posting, I couldn't help but think that I have often thought of doing a study of the worlds "Death" rates. I'm pretty sure that the nations of the worlds monthly, yearly death rates have been astronomical lately.

Since no one discusses the death numbers like they do the other numbers, they often place an emphasis on fertility, life expectancy and so forth which are discussed, but what they never mentioned is the existing death rate for Australia and how many people were dying per year compared to their future study.

I mention this because I am certain they ran the death rates as part of their modeling process and as such the fact that they avoided any discussion of death rates implies a form of deception.

Taking into account how many people are dying per month and for what reasons would be a grand study indeed. Now that would be a study I would love to review.

Anyway, thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Isn't that what LOCUSTS do?
Eat everything and destroy everything in their path with not a care as they are moving on to pillage and steal the next free lunch that someone has toiled and sweated to make?

Millions died in world wars to make this country what it is.
No one with so much invested in a country is going to willingly welcome in squatters or freeloaders who have no loyalty or intention to give back what they take.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Flighty]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
That's ok. Apprently you could comfortabally fit the whole world into one state of Australia.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The whole worlds population could fit into Africa too, but I'm sure the government and people there would have a problem with that.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Some members of the Australian environmental movement, notably the organisation Sustainable Population Australia, believe that as the driest inhabited continent, Australia cannot continue to sustain its current rate of population growth without becoming overpopulated. The UK-based Optimum Population Trust supports the view that Australia is overpopulated, and believes that to maintain the current standard of living in Australia, the optimum population is 10 million (rather than the present 20.86 million), or 21 million with a reduced standard of living.

The Australian Governments immigration scheme has absolutely nothing to do with humanitarian ideals or caring for refugees. It has to do with money ( bolstering the economy ) ( cheap labour ) and what Corporate Australia and the community at large needs to start focusing on is quality of life not profit. Australia is already experiencing the detrimental effects and impact of population sprawl on The great Barrier Reef - The Ramsar wetlands and Murray Darling food bowl- A global solution to population growth should be adopted as part of a mature stewardship not only for Australia but for the planet as a whole.

A few facts about Australia

Average homes were costing around half a million in 2008 ( depending on location ) but since the FIRB relaxed its rules on foreign investment - residential and rural properties throughout Australia saw overseas investments rise and house prices soar by 14.4 %

The increase in interest from overseas buyers, particularly Chinese, has been huge since the changes in foreign investment rules, said David Airey, president of the Real Estate Institute of Australia. "That has translated into tremendous price increases, shutting a lot of Australian buyers out of the market."

Could Australia be heading toward some form of hyper inflation ?? I think the part that concerns me more than anything is rural properties being sold to outside investors ?

From 7:30 Report

By 2050, it could warm anywhere from 0.3 to 3.4 degrees and, by 2080, the mean temperature could be 6.7 degrees warmer than it is now.

Up to 20% more droughts … are simulated over most of Australia by 2030 and up to 80% more droughts by 2070 in South Western Australia;

In South East Australia the frequency of very high extreme fire danger days is likely to rise 4-25% by 2020 and 15-70% by 2050;

Annual stream flow in the Murray Darling Basin is likely to fall 10-25% by 2050 and 16-48% by 2100. Toxic algal blooms are likely to become longer and more frequent;

By 2050, 97% of the Great Barrier Reef will be bleached every year and, by 2080, there’ll be catastrophic mortality of coral species annually;

Australia's future outlook ??

Australia is the most parched continent on earth and I think just on those grounds alone the worlds migrating population should think twice before coming here because as much as I love people of all creeds and lets face it that is predominantly what Australia is made up of Immigrants - the truth is if past and current government trends are anything to go by ie not addressing environmental / global warming issues SERIOUSLY - many Australians might find themselves signing up for some form of climate refugee status themselves at some point in the future ??

[edit on 18-4-2010 by destiny-fate]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by destiny-fate

I agree with that.
My son earns a pretty good wage and he's single (and likes it that way for now)
He wants to buy his own home while single and it's near impossible for him to do that on one wage.

He's currently having to look as far afield as the Northern Tablelands just to be able to buy within his income range that isn't a shoebox. But the catch 22 is that there is scant employment in his field of work.

10 years ago he could've bought a 2 bedroom unit in Sydney.
Not now, no way. It takes 2 incomes just to buy a very ordinary older style home in Sydney.

I've heard Sydney is as expensive as Japan per sq mtr.
I don't know why really. Aside from the beaches and harbour area, Sydney
is VERY ORDINARY. Not to mention that Oz is so far away from anywhere.
I can image places like Paris being expensive, but Sydney? Unbelievable.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Flighty]

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Flighty]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
This was only published as an excuse for recent rejection of Sri Lankan and Afghani refugees.. Nothing interesting to see here..

Australia is freakin huge, more people doesn't mean average Australian won't have good quality of life, it will be the same.. When population increases, the government will gain more tax money, and more work force.. That will create more opportunities within Australia.. Right now Australia needs alot of workers, and they are bringing doctors, engineers, etc etc from other countries to fill gaps in the work force..

Shortage of workers both in Australia and New Zealand..

It seems you are not very knowable about the state of affairs in Australia. Although the landmass of Australia is very large, the vast majority is desert land which is not very accommodating for human life. While it is true that rural areas are not as populated as metro/city, the populations in metro areas is very high and most new immigrants settle in these areas - not country areas. This is putting a strain on infrastructure and the economy.

Australia is also going through a Water Crisis at the moment. Water storages are very low compared to 10-15 years ago and even with restrictions the problem is not being slowed down enough. In its current state, Australia cannot handle many more people without the quality of life of those already living here suffering.

[edit on 20/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The ironic thing about this whole situation is that 200 years ago people were being sent to Australia as punishment. Today they are worried that too many people want to come by their own free will. The world is funny, if the nation does become overpopulated in the future with water shortages and low standards of living it might be considered a punishment again lol

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
There was a debate about this on Q&A last night on ABC - the link to the transcript is here if anyone is interested: www.abc.net.au...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Hey if Africans can live in the desert then surely the refugees won't cry about it.. Let them live in the deserts?

Water shortages? Technology is advancing, by the time the population grows to an extent where water will be an issue, the conversion of salt water to pure water would get that much easier..

The technology already exists..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Stuff that - vote Greens.
Stable Population Party - what are they gonna do? Lobby for a naval blockade and forced sterilizations of foreigners?

Stuff that. Don't vote at all.

People are born free. Voting ensures slavery. Voting is an illusion of freedom that is bestowed upon the slaves by their masters. Your vote won't matter and neither will any other vote in your community.\

LOL. In the recent state elections I inadvertently stuffed up my voting form... I put an X rather than a 1... Not sure if that means the brainwashing is working or not
Not that it mattered, I was voting for some bogus independent party anyway.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Lets terraform the desert with desalinated water and solve rising sea levels at the same time.

We got the technology to build super cities from scratch.

Do you have any idea how much money Australia would have if it nationalised its mineral resources?!?! Instead of farming them out to American, Brittish and Chinese companies and getting pennies in exchange.

We'd be able to invest in intelligent forward thinking projects at the drop of a hat.

Let em all in, teach them to read and write english, and "australian-culture" and set em to work in the desert.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join