It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of Joining the Military, and Advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
So, I'm considering make a life decision, and of course, I'm going to go to ATS/BTS.

I have friends in the army, but I don't really know anyone in the other branches, such as Air Force and Navy...

So I'm curious before I go to those little stations and start asking questions which I'm already assuming I'm going to get BS answers, if anyone here has been through these other branches and what they think of them, or maybe what questions would be good to ask?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
My recommendation? DON'T

Ask yourself some questions first.

1) Is this a government that you like enough to die for?

2) How many vets do you know that the government has screwed over?

3) Can you kill women and children (even accidentally) and live with yourself?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
My recommendation? DON'T

Ask yourself some questions first.

1) Is this a government that you like enough to die for?

2) How many vets do you know that the government has screwed over?

3) Can you kill women and children (even accidentally) and live with yourself?

Ya, but desperate times call for desperate moves......

I can just hope I'm the lucky few that don't get called off anywhere.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My snap reaction is don't do it. However, it's impossible to help you without knowing the reasons you are considering joining the military.

Do you have your own list of pros/cons established yet?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
At the end of the day is being in the Military going to make you happy? It may open your life up to some amazing experiences on the other hand you might find yourself in war, which you probably ain't going to agree with and be expected to take part in the killing of collateral damage. Surely the military cant be your only option?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I'm with the other guys;

DON'T DO IT!!!

However, if you insist on joining up, I would recommend you go for the Coast Guard. At least then you probably wouldn't be deployed to a war zone to be involved in the occupation and rape of some poor country for the American imperialist dream.

The Coast Guard at least defends America's own shores, though you may get caught up in our stupid war on drugs.

[edit on 4/17/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Lol, all the "Don't do it!" 's

I am pretty much ready to, I've already decided on the Air Force, so it shouldn't be that bad, everyone I've talked to who has gone through the military say that the Air Force is pretty much sit behind a desk all day, then party all night..... I can live with that!

I need the money, and I really want to go to a good university, and I know I won't be able to with having some cash, if I go to the Military and save up, (or if I just have a ball, I'll stay till I retire) I can get out and go to a respectable school, and have even more college under my belt than I do now while in there.

A guy told me the other day a little joke.

"The army goes to a country, builds a runway, builds the housing for the soldiers, and builds all that, then goes to congress and asks for money and gets nothing. The Air Force goes to a country, builds a pool, a volley ball court, and housing, then asks congress for money to build a runway."

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Bleh, everyone saying " dont do it" ... has done exactly that, not done it. so their opinion is pretty invalid.

everyone I talk to from the service including family and friends have different opinions, ... some love it, some think its boring, some say, " eh, it's ok" ...... but all of them have one thing in common......

They would do it again in a heartbeat. My " lil sis" is going into the airforce next month to be a cook.

and I'm thinking about going in perhaps after the summer, I'm not sure what branch. so if there's anyone out there who are in the military can you tell us what branch your in, the pro's and con's, ... and what branch you think is best.

which is what this OP is supposed to be about..... instead of " don't do it" and " how would you feel if you shot a baby with a rocket launcher".

Wether or not you agree with the war or the government is of no consequence, there are countless jobs which don't involve combat. You could be a medic and save american as well as iraqi lives.

Don't make it anymore than it is, even if you die in combat,.. your not dying for your country. Your dying for yourself, .... because thats the career path you chose, you knew the risk, .... and at the end of the day ....... it's just a job.

or is it ??? perhaps you can join with a personal sense of responsibility, ... so there is no collateral damage, and so you can bring to light any war crimes you witness and actualy make a difference.

The choice is yours DanielSon.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

My brother is a Major in the Air Force, and he likes it fairly well. I believe that is your "safest" option. Good luck, and enjoy!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I am a Sergeant in the Air Force...when you ready for the truth that doesn't come from a biased "baby-killer" source gimme a ring...U2U me, skype me...whatever...I will tell you the honest truth...the good AND the bad

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I did four years in the Navy, and four years in the Coast Guard. DO NOT GO INTO THE COAST GUARD!!! It's all politics and butt kissing. The Navy on the other hand is probably the most cerebral and intelligent branch (they have the highest ASVAB score requirements) and probably the most real world employability once you return to civilian life. Also, the Navy offers the best chance to see many parts of the world in one enlistment. Any of the other services will pretty much guarantee that you WILL see Afghanistan, if not Iraq. Both of these travel destinations are pretty unlikely in the Navy.

Make no mistake about it, if you join ANY branch of the military, you are agreeing to let someone else tell you what you can and cannot do 24/7/365. You will have to show respect to people that you would not piss on if they were on fire in the civilian world. If you can do that, then go ahead and sign up.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
whoops...
not where I meant to be.

ETA:
but since I'm here... I think you should do whatever you think is best for you. Go for it, if you want to. Those that I've known who have made that choice have all said they would do so again...

[edit on 18-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
Bleh, everyone saying " dont do it" ... has done exactly that, not done it. so their opinion is pretty invalid.

Not quite true, I'm an Army, Desert Storm vet. At the time, I was proud of my part in liberating the Kuwaiti people.

Over time, I have learned what that war and all the others are REALLY about and, frankly, I am now ashamed of the part I played in that conflict.

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again with the knowledge I have now, I would definitely not choose to be a tool of TPTB. :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

actually there are several jobs in the Air Force that can keep you locked to a desk and never see the desert

the AF has very high ASVAB requirements and pretty darn intelligent too

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Going to totally agree with the above, having been a military brat all my life. I've got good friends in all branches, as luck would have it, and it would seem the Navy and the Air Force are both the best ways to go from their combined testimonials. Best post-military employment opportunities, and best chances of not ending up dead in the sand.

Some will tell you the Coast Guard (for least chance of overseas), and this is true to an extent, but as stated, it's all about politics there, and figuring out who to kiss up to, for any kind of progression. My father was Army, then Coast Guard, and got very frustrated in that service. He then went to work for defense contractors after getting out...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well,being retired navy and proud of it I am a little biased.

The navy trains ALL it's people to do something that will carry over in to civilian life some way.

You Will meat some very good people who just like you are wanting to be somebody.

You WILL advance faster in the navy than in the other services.

If you do not want to be on a ship there are "groups" within the navy who do not serve on ships.

In my 20 year career, I never stepped foot on board a navy vessel,even to visit.

Always lived in barracks with a real bed and flew everywhere I went to do deployments.

Always laughed at Air Force people too because they are a little weird,
to say the least.

They serve no purpose other than hauling cargo,and Fedex does it better.

new topics

top topics

join