It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschool and Public School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Me and my brother in law got into a discussion today about homeschooling and public schooling. We weighed the pros and cons of both and came up with a great hypothetical. Assuming you have a kid, and you are required to put him into public school and home school would you rather

a. Put him in homeschool from K to 8th then put him into public school or

b. Put him in public school from k to 6th then have him homeschooled the rest of the time.

Let me lay out some of our thoughts.

Public School
Social learning skills
fairly bad education

Home School
Great Education
No classmates

Remember you are required to put them in either a or b, so what is more important? Learning to Socialize more at an earlier time and then taking them from their friends or Not learning to socialize until later in life but be well ahead of their peers. Think very hard guys.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
PUBLIC school. I have known many home schooled children trough out my life. Each and everyone of them had no social skills what so ever. They don't know how to protect themselves when confronted ie street smarts. Since this is a conspiracy board and survival is a a big topic here, I feel that student with a public education would be better off in a situation where instincts and survival are needed for example if Martial Law were declared, if major world war broke out, etc.

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
There is no way I would enroll my kid in an American public school. The quality of education is really low in this country.

The education system does not teach you to think for yourself. So in the event of martial law, the indoctrinated will probably react exactly the way TPTB want them to.

Off topic, but people living in urban areas are less likely to survive than those living in rural areas. I live in a city and as far as I know it's illegal to carry mace or a taser for protection.

The public schools here are like prisons. Metal detectors, officers, drugs, gangs, violence. You wanna send your kid there to learn life skills? You are better off sending them to military school.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have some experience with homeschooling, and I have to say the pro's and con's are about 50/50.

If I had to pick a or b, I would pick a. Most parents have trouble teaching the more complex subjects high school brings. Also, the most learning goes on in the earlier years so it would be better to have the superior education during that time.

That being said, I will not homeschool my kids if I have any. I hope to find a good private school for them to go to, but if not, public will have to do.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by HarvestMoon]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
ooo lovely, I had to write an essay on this for my AS level General Studies exam.

Ive never really understand why this home schooling thing is so popular. Well, I do understand & appreciate that the learning environment is less disruptive and you're child is less likely to get caught up in drugs etc.. but to me the social aspect of being in an actual school far outweigh's the advantages that home schooling offers.

As for the options though, assuming the child was given some say in the matter then they both seem fine, although I would probably say option 'b' would be the less difficult one in terms of the transition from one to another.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I would choose A and make sure that I went out of my way to see that he was also socialized with other kids during those years. There are many ways to do that. Dance classes, martial arts, neighborhood get-togethers, etc. I'd make sure he had friends and learned how to get along with other people.

Younger kids are more impressionable and I'd rather they learn from me and be ahead of their classmates than learn from the variety of influences that are in public schools and come out with a mediocre education.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here are my favorite two alternatives...

1. Homeschool during Elementary School, but in a network of people who do so, so they also have the social interaction experience with others.

2. Public School all the way, but with a LOT of involvement of the parents, and encouraging a drive to learn beyond what they study in class (and build in some competitiveness. The world is competitive...the soft classrooms of today do NOT prepare students for this...

Note, another alternative is Private School. Most opt for this (if they can afford it) due to the perceived better quality of instruction (which is true in most cases) AND the added benefit of social interaction. Of course, your chances of the kid growing up feeling like an entitled brat do exponentially increase, but hey, good parenting can override that...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
solution. Homeschool but make sure they have plenty of friends near you.
My kids have all been homeschooled since day 1 but they all have friends and are at the same social level as any other teen but they know how to think for themselves and it shows.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I guess I would probably have them socialize earlier in life. I think its easier as a child to socialize in itself.

I guess either way you go, you lose a little bit. So its up to the parent what they really feel is most neccessary. Of course just because someone is home schooled doesnt mean they wont have friends and socialize. Theres always going to be friends they meet maybe in the neighborhood, familys children, if there in sports they can meet people that way also.

Public schooling is the same way though, I dont think its horrible education, maybe not the best but it isnt horrible as long as you pay attention. And you can always pull your kid aside maybe twice a week after school for an hour or two and go over things education wise.

new topics

top topics

join