It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a gun-need input

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I know nothing about guns, except how to grip, aim and fire. I am looking for some home protection and don't have a clue about different gun applications. Can anyone share with me their knowledge of guns and what was your dominant buying factor?

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would suggest it have the following features...

Semi-Auto (you'll likely miss alot, and you want to be able to deliver a stopping shot fast)

Clip Magazine with more than 7 shots (you'll likely miss alot at the range at first, and you'll have to reload less often) Make sure you PRACTICE with your gun...The night of a break-in is not a good time to be practicing!

Lightweight (easier to shoot)

I prefer a 9mm, as the ammo is easy to find and cheap.
Also, get a good trigger lock than can be disengaged easily and quickly, even in the dark (there are several models, so check the gun store...) The reason is, if you ever need to USE it, chances are it will be at night, and you may not have much time to fumble with a difficult lock.

Also, if you have children...

1) Consider just getting a big dog. Kids and guns don't mix...
2) If still wanting a gun, if the kids are old enough, take them to the range with you, have them take a gun safety class, etc. Teach them to respect the gun for the weapon it is, and that it is not a toy. Fail to do this, and the result could be catastraphic...
3) Keep the gun in a place the kids aren't likely to have access, preferably in a locked drawer. Make sure the kids know where it is (you don't want it to be a surprise find), and know that they aren't allowed to touch it at all! Believe me, kids WILL go through their parents' stuff...we all did.

[Edited on 5-3-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
from my experiece, the caliber and make of the gun aren't all that important. what you need to get is a gun that you are comfortable with, and can shoot well. a well placed shot from a gun you can handle well is more effective than 15 shots from a .50 cal desert eagle.

now if you want to know what i carry it's a glock 21c .40cal. it's lightweight, fairly accurate, and with most of the police departments in my neck of the woods using them ammo is really easy to find. the recoil isn't too significant because it has ported barrels. i have after market mags that hold 18 rounds (these do look kind of funny since they stick about 3/4 inch below the bottom of the grip) but the standard mag has a 10 shot capacity. i forget what they call the saftey feature in the trigger but the gun can only be discharged when the trigger is pulled so if you drop it the chance of accidental discharge is negligible.

again make sure you are comfortable with the gun and then mess around with different types of ammo to maximize your stopping power. jacketed hollow points with a +P rating are excellent people stoppers, be sure to check with your dealer to make sure your gun can handle ammo with a +P rating though, otherwise your barrel could split and cause serious injury.

really any reputable dealer will stear you in the direction you need to go if you tell him what you want it for.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
.40 cals are a pretty good choice as well (and a better choice for stopping power-personally though, I have no qualms about shooting multiple shots into a burglar). I should have pointed out the comfort factor...thanks for adding it...

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Talk about guns, huh. I keep a 9 mm in my car my wife caries a small 22 cal.
I also have a marlin pump 30-30 with a 3x9x50 scope and a marlin semi auto with a 3x9x40. (Great gun I can shoot the fire off a cigarette at 75 yards and leave the cigarette standing...hehe).
But for protection I have my old trusty 12 guage shotgun. It has a shot pattern of about 2 feet. Beats the heck out of trying to aim if someone breaks into the house. Basically just point in the general direction.
I agree completely with Gazrock about children. I have 2 and they know better than to even touch the guns. My 6 year old also knows how to use them, she has worked and worked on her marksmanship, she can now shoot the top off of pop bottle (Plastic ones) at about 50 yards.
But again for protection I don't think you can beat a shotgun!!

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
...ease of use needs to be your deciding factor...so simply go to a Gun Store and try some out 'for size' so to speak...the last thing you need to be worrying about in a crisis situation is holding/aiming a firearm that feels out of place in your hands.

Personally...I like shotguns...maybe also because they ae prinicipally the only real 'home defence' type firearms you can legally obtain in this country. But I'll tell ya this much, if I was a burgular or some other scum-bag entering someones house...I think I'd be more likely to soil myself if someone pointed the huge barrel of a shotty at me, than a hand-gun.

Hand-guns of course are a whole lot more manageable, as they can light, easy to more around in cramped areas (like narrow corridors etc), can be operated one-handed (so leaves the other hand free to operate door-handles, hold torches or whatever)...so if you are going to go with a shotgun, then maybe a cut-down pistol-gripped Mosberg or something...hell, an auto-loader would be the bizz...pity about the mess you'd make of your walls, furniture - as well as of course the intruder

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
take a safety course straight away.

With a lack of experience and all you want is home protection, a shotgun is best. A 20g is best since you'll have minimal kickback and the ammo is cheap. If you live in suburbia or an apartment then a shotgun is also safer for your nieghbors too.

I have several that I use, I'm a target shooter on a local comp team and a novice gunsmith. My home defense is a Marlin 12g that I've modified as a SWAT-style Tactical Riot gun with an 18inch barrel and Infra-Red (YerDeadRedSpot), plus I have a Baretta 380 with a 9rd clip for the wife.

For comp purposes I use my SKS Tactical with the LEGAL non-detachable clip and 20 power scope, and for the Western comp I have my Colt 45 PeaceMaker.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have with the shotgun, is that it isn't as convenient to keep near the bed, for when your wife hears those noises in the house at night... It takes longer to get to a shotgun and have it readied than it does a pistol. If I have the time however, I prefer to grab the 20 guage over the pistol, for the simple fact that it can shoot through doors, stops anything, and doesn't require careful aim in the dark... We live in a pretty decent neighborhood, and I've heard and seen prowlers before. Luckily, for them and me, they usually split when the security lights come on...

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I mentioned this in another thread, but a very serious matter, so will give you a few pointers.

For strictly home protection, a shotgun is not a bad idea at all. Depending on your size and strength, a 20g or a 12 g should be considered, although if you are not physically able to deal with either one, a .410 is still respectable. Baikal (Russian) and Stoeger (German) make cool little "Coach Guns": short double barrel shotguns that make perfect houseguns. These are very easy to learn to use. Pump shotguns are not much more difficult to learn to use, relatively inexpensive, and to be had in either guage. Remington 870, Mossberg 500, and the Benelli Nova Special Purpose are the ones to look for (Excellent quality, reliability, easy to use, and in or around the $300 range).

For a first handgun, one of the newer load and forget/point and shoot handguns would be the best. As for caliber, you want the largest that you can comfortably control. (I dont like 9mm, and usually DO NOT recommend it, but for a novice shooter, due to soft recoil, and cheap price for practice ammo, it may be a good choice... just choose your "carry" ammunition very carefully, as you will need to wring the most performance out of it that you can, therefore, get very good quality hollow points).

Several good quality handguns are on the market that fit this description. The Glock, Walther P99/S&W99 (same gun), many of the Ruger Double Action Only, and the new Springfield Armory XD (Xtreme Duty) are probably your best bets. Of the above, I would recommend the Springfield XD highest, with the Ruger 2nd. Both are very accurate, super reliable, very robust and rugged, and affordable, in the $300-400 range.

Just remember, the biggest concern you should have when choosing a gun is making sure that it fits you well, as your "fit" to the gun will likely determine how well and accurate you shoot it. If at all possible, consult with friends who own guns and see if you can try them out to get an idea what fits you. If not, find a gun range that has rental guns.

As far as price, you do get what you pay for. Consider that you are buying essential life insurance that could well save your life... if you life worth just say $79 for a little jamamatic???? Don't skimp, buy QUALITY. Also, PLEASE, when you buy a gun, budget an extra $100 or so for at least a half case if not a full case of practice ammo.... practice hard, practice often, and it will pay off if you ever really need it.

My personal preference runs toward the old fashioned Colt 1911A1 single action .45 automatic. However, I DO NOT recommend this to a novice shooter, as it really takes a good bit of skill and practice to get proficient with, and just to make sure you are not a danger with it.

Lastly, if you live in a state or area that issues Concealed Handgun Licenses, by all means, obtain one! For starters, once you have a carry license and background check, you no longer have to submit to the NICS background check when you buy guns (therefore, the ATF doesnt know you are buying any additional guns). But most important, regardless of what kind of gun you have, it does no good if you are being mugged or raped in a dark alley while it sits at home in a drawer.

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Excellent advice dragonrider...particularly the last sentence...and its one of the things I have issues with regards my own countries Firearm Laws.

Ours state that when we have firearms in the house (we have NO carry laws/allowances at all), they have to be stored within either a lockable (with dead-bolt) cupboard, or a lockable secured (to either floor or wall) Gun Cabinet. Ammunition and removal operational parts (such as bolts etc) must also generally be stored in a completely separate locked compartment (though you can gain dispensation on this condition - separate compartment for ammo and bolts - if you are have been a member of a Firearms Club/Hunting Club for over 12 months).

What use is your firearm in an Home Invasion situation when it takes a great deal of time/effort (and noise) to actually fully arm yourself with it?? Its ridiculous...So yes...I'll openly admit to breaking the law on this one and having the shotty within easy reach/use.

top topics

join