It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of authority?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
He enforces a consequence of breaking the rule, not the same as authority (to me anyway).. I mean he can't make me not break the rule. He has power, but no authority.

It's not about what I want others to do, or not do.. they will do, and that is why there is no authority.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. No one can take away you ability to act on upon what you desire. you still have your free will. But don't you think that is a degree of authority? like on one extreme end is the power to take away your free will and the other end you have the power to take away rights, time, sex, etc...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
authority is a notion given power in one's mind.
it is a concept, it does not exist
within a harmonized community
authority as a concept is not needed

if it truly exists, then who has the authority? Some believe a creator, some a certain power. Authority is just marketing...childish "mine is better yours"

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I can just see the report on this data-mined thread....

"ok we have a number of anarchists, a few pussies, a couple of intellidorks on the fence.... and the odd new ager who thinks love is the answer to everything.... [sigh] this is getting boring..."

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
Ah yes, I see what you mean. No one can take away you ability to act on upon what you desire. you still have your free will. But don't you think that is a degree of authority? like on one extreme end is the power to take away your free will and the other end you have the power to take away rights, time, sex, etc...

Authority to me is power over another, nothing inter-personal, so I don't really view free will as such. I can grant others permission, and they can take power over but they still have no authority.

yes, others have the power to take away time, rights, sex, food.. air etc., but they can't take away free will. That is why liberty/rights are much different than freedom or free will.

Example, to the extreme.. I have the ability and power to take my own life, in my own will. I am not eliminating my free will, I am just making my last act of that will, I am still free. I hope that makes sense.. it's up there, just not coming out so clearly.. maybe I should get some sleep..

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

maybe i should get some sleep...

but what you are saying is, that there is no authority higher than yourself or God if you want to throw that in there?

I mean, considering your actions (crime), almost everything you affiliate yourself with can be taken away from you with left only your thoughts and the walls that bind you.
Now i don't know if you are aware of the affects of solitary confinement. but given enough time away from social norms and people, you too will slowly disappear. No longer being recognized as "you", and being someone completely different unable to interact with those you loved as though you did, even if given the free will too.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by juveous]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
reply to post by broahes

maybe i should get some sleep...

but what you are saying is, that there is no authority higher than yourself or God if you want to throw that in there?

I mean, considering your actions (crime), almost everything you affiliate yourself with can be taken away from you with left only your thoughts and the walls that bind you.
Now i don't know if you are aware of the affects of solitary confinement. but given enough time away from social norms and people, you too will slowly disappear. No longer being recognized as "you", and being someone completely different unable to interact with those you loved as though you did, even if given the free will too.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by juveous]

yeah, it's cool to throw God in there.. I do.

I accept that there are rules in society to the extent of allowing others to live freely.. therefore there should be no consequence to my actions if I truly believe in being free, because I believe in others being just as free. What I mean is.. if I allow others the same passage through this life that I expect, there is no need for rules or structure.. of course that is the perfect world that we will never see, because of course not everyone views this life as such. I should never end up behind that wall alone, because I don't expect others to be there.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
As far as God's authority, he gave that up when he allowed me to live with free will. I don't believe in the notion that God will protect me, or that he will end me life.

I guess I have to retract the statement that authority doesn't exist, and say that it doesn't exist, only in the context of the OP to clarify my statements.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Authority is a major factor of our current world now, in my OP i listed the only authority i find 'acceptable' in our current society. Authority in itself is not really needed, and as the crap is starting to hit the fan now, i think we'll emerge in a united, authority free society.

When i discuss an authority free society with people, a common remark is "well what about the crooks? Wouldn't they be running around killing people? It would be chaos!". I would have to disagree with that. Much of the crime in our world is due to people feeling violated or helpless with laws and authority. When people commit a crime, often they are expecting a reaction or attention. If a serial killer keeps killing people, and doesn't receive a reaction or anger in return, psychologically speaking, he would likely stop after a while. Plus, you can bet karma would catch up and bite him in the rear 100 times over.

Also, i remember some news people were talking about how surprised they were of the reaction of the people of Haiti after the earthquake. Sure there was looting at first, but then the crime rate fell below the norm. The people banded together to help each other.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join