If a police officer attacks you for no reason, what can you do?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

Well, in a sane world people would stop to help restrain the officer if they witnessed an unprovoked assault. In reality, its best to take it lying down and pray that cameras are getting the footage. No one will help you because as soon as an officer engages you in anyway, you are perceived to be on the wrong side of the law. Just hope the taser doesn't stop you're heart or the beating, damage vital organs.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Nail the SOB to the wall. First go to his/her superior and sign a formal complaint, calling for immediate suspension w/o pay, then go to a lawyer and SUE SUE SUE!!!!!!! They dare not do it to me, I'd *SNIP* a pig up they ever laid a damn hand on me!!!!!

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sat Apr 17 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

no way you don't just let him beat all the anger out onto you about how his kids don't love him or hes a racist, its cruel and unusual punishment for a cop to assault somebody for no season and use excessive force. Some places cops dont go because they are afraid of getting shot or killed so it looks like that approach helped

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
This is a very interesting question. I would suggest that if a person were to defend himself/herself against and attack from a law enforcement officer, it would open the door for a whole host of issues. I think I could say with 100% certainty that if a person does defend himself, you would be charged with assaulting a police officer. In the end it will be a situation of your word against theirs and I think we all know how that would turn out in a court of law. Even if the incident is caught on a dash cam, that does not insure that the tape will actually make it to court.

Fact is all people have the right to defend themselves from an unprovoked attack, but when that attack comes at the hands of a police officer, all the rules change. One part of me thinks it would be a good idea to cover up and let the officer beat away, causing as many defensive wounds. However, that really puts you at the mercy of your attacker which is not wise. People can be beat to death and accidents do happen. I have witnessed people who lost their life from a simple punch to the face. The actual punch did not kill them, but falling to the ground and hitting their head on the concrete did. So for those types of reasons, I can not say that the best course of action would be to just take the beating and hope for the best, bad things can happen even when it is not intended. Of course fighting back opens up a whole new can of worms. If you make a choice to defend yourself, be ready to accept the consequences and become a martyr or sorts.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GenRadek
I ask my fellow ATS members this question: What can you do if a police officer attacks you for no reason whatsoever? There was an incident here in IL which took place about a month ago, where a police officer was caught on camera beating an unarmed and coperative person, right in front of his home.

Man, they do this to black Americans and no one thinks about it. Now that it's non-black Americans folks want to worry. Before, the security guards and police could do no wrong.

So let me get this right... if you beat a black dude then the black dude is just playing the "race card", but if you beat a non-black dude, it's a crime?? America really sucks, you know that?

I have had to worry about this for a very long time. And now you're just considering the slight possibility? Give me a break.

You know what, man? Welcome to the real world!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

if there are witnesses it really helps. if a cop ever stopped me for no reason and assaulted me I would definetly use self defense on him . No matter what your allowed to us self defence if you feel your life is in danger. if you have no previous record you will be ok. yeah cops will proably search your name in there little database they have but they prob wont find you unless you were fingerprinted as a kid in school. or have a previous record. you can sue the # out of the cops, dont waste time going up in the governemnt as they dont care about there people which has been clear since they slaughtered 8 million of there own in world war 1.

Get a good lawyer, most lawyers dont ask for money until they win. why pay a lawyer 500 dollars an hour to lose.

in toronto cops are pretty bad, cops think they are above everyone, but thats the low thing the governemnts dont want people to know. WE ARE ALL EQUAL no1 stands above another, thats why they ask if you understand your rights, but really they ask do you \stand under us law of the sea.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
To the police officer in this thread.

You state that a person should only be able to defend themselves if an officer, for "no reason", comes to beat the citizens ass.

You swore an oath to protect and serve the People. Not to bully and intimidate them.

You are implying that an officer should be able to beat the # out of any citizen if that citizen has an attitude, or gives the officer "a reason" other than in self defense or to stop evasion/resisting arrest?

If so, as a Marine who knows what an oath is you disgust me. It is not the police's function to enforce "politeness" of the citizens, and it's not their responsibility to beat someone's ass because "they earned it."

You are a Public Servant. It is not the other way around, no matter how 'cool' and 'badass' and 'brave' you think you are. It's really easy to be "brave" when a huge and powerful establishment gives you the lawful right to use force against citizens and heavily restricts citizens rights to defend themselves from you.

You should enforce the law, that is your job and it needs to be done. My father is in Federal Law enforcement, and my step father is in local law enforcement. Both of them understand that they are public servants and would be disgusted with any police officer who abused a citizen, even if the citizen did commit a crime, unless that physical altercation was necessary for the safety of the Officer or required because of resistance/evasion.

A police officer should not only be accountable for "random" beatings, he should be accountable for all excessive violence.

Hopefully that is what you meant, even though it's not what you said.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
By the way you guys, when a corrupt officer beats your up for giving him attitude or questioning him (what's your name, badge number) he will write in his police report that you resisted arrest, and that he was applied force until you stopped resisting, at which point he stopped applying force against the citizen.

He will go to court, and you will explain what happened, and the judge will tell you that the police officer "has no reason to lie" and go with the police report unless you can provide tangible evidence, and often times, even in the face of tangible evidence.

The best way to combat police brutality, abuse, and corruption, is adequate screening, selection, training, and oversight.

A civilian oversight board is what all of you should be pushing for in your local jurisdictions. You are "We the People," you have to demand to be policed by consent. Write your local officials, demand a civilian oversight board which has the authority to impose penalties on police officers and/or terminate them in the case of abuse or misuse of police powers.

My proof of this is that in San Antonio I was a passenger in a vehicle where this happened to the driver. I wrote a statement for the court, and the judge state that both I and the driver were lying, and that I had lied because the driver was my "friend."

Always demand trial by Jury it is your legal right, that's what he did and now it doesn't matter what that judge has to say about the police officer having 'no reason' to lie about why he beat someone up.

edit:

I just read more of the officer in this thread's posts and I realize that I was hasty to jump the gun on him. He seems like a good police officer and probably does not abuse anyone. My apologies to you.

That said, I still stand by all of these statements, any police officer who does not understand his oath and any police officer who thinks he is above the law or has the right to beat up people for being 'rude' should not be one, and civilian oversight boards for every county in the country would be the best thing that ever happened to policing.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by sremmos]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos
To the police officer in this thread.

You state that a person should only be able to defend themselves if an officer, for "no reason", comes to beat the citizens ass.

You swore an oath to protect and serve the People. Not to bully and intimidate them.

You are implying that an officer should be able to beat the # out of any citizen if that citizen has an attitude, or gives the officer "a reason" other than in self defense or to stop evasion/resisting arrest?

If so, as a Marine who knows what an oath is you disgust me. It is not the police's function to enforce "politeness" of the citizens, and it's not their responsibility to beat someone's ass because "they earned it."

Sorry to hear your not smart enough to understand what I said. Can you make it any more obvious your bias completly took over when responding to a VERY SIMPLE post I made? At no time did I "imply" anything other then some cops DO stupid stuff and I have no problem with people defending themselves. I just want people to understand what is happening and not put themselves in a situation that WILL make it worse for them. So your assumtions and inability to understand simple posts is your problem and stupidity of this level "DISGUSTS" me. Take your bs bias somehwere else if you can't understand simple logic. As for the "oath" you speak of....I took an oath a long time ago to protect this country, and then took another to protect the people I serve...so don't lexure me on oaths.

You are a Public Servant. It is not the other way around, no matter how 'cool' and 'badass' and 'brave' you think you are. It's really easy to be "brave" when a huge and powerful establishment gives you the lawful right to use force against citizens and heavily restricts citizens rights to defend themselves from you.

I never said it was "the other way around". Again you need to THINK before you type and understand that your stupid little comments are being focused on a guy that at NO TIME claimed to be "cool", "bada@@" or "brave".....funny how morons just put words in peoples mouths on this site. Wait you were a marine, and you wanna talk about a huge powerful establishment giving you authority over others...bottom line is this...yes we have a lot of authority, but we also have a lot of responsibility...many of us take that VERY seriously and do out jobs right, and yes some don't, but the reality is that its going to remain that way FOREVER...just like in ANY OTHER PROFESSION....

You should enforce the law, that is your job and it needs to be done. My father is in Federal Law enforcement, and my step father is in local law enforcement. Both of them understand that they are public servants and would be disgusted with any police officer who abused a citizen, even if the citizen did commit a crime, unless that physical altercation was necessary for the safety of the Officer or required because of resistance/evasion.

And where have I EVER stated any differently...other then YOUR interpritation...which is wrong?

A police officer should not only be accountable for "random" beatings, he should be accountable for all excessive violence.

How so? As a Marine were you willing to accept responsibility for the actions of Marines in places you weren't?

Hopefully that is what you meant, even though it's not what you said.

Again you completly drew your own conclusions to what i said. My point is that every officer will react differently. If a cop for NO REASON..meaning simply walks up to you and starts hitting you, then YES I want you to defend yourself. If he walks up and says get on the ground, or put your hands up, DO IT, because odds are he or she believes you to be a suspect or person they need to talk to...regardless is they are right, they believe, AT THAT MOMENT, you are the person they want...and resisting then will only make it all worse. Again, that is why I speak about PERSEPTION...since it is the ONLY factor that determines which way cops and people react to something.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Gen Radek.. good to talk outside of a 9/11 thread for a change!

It all depends on the situation - if a cop is giving me the beat down while i'm not resisting and compliant I'd try to charge him with assault and place him under arrest. Not that it would likely happen as they're likely much more experienced in hand to hand but that's the legal entitlement, should he commit a serious crime on me. Now this may make things worse but if you argue your case (or the very grounds of it) well enough and learn your common law then you should be okay. Don't get a lawyer, get off ya butt and learn the lingo of law.

reply to post by downtown436

Hehehe agreed... wonder how I got my bikey nickname
~

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos
By the way you guys, when a corrupt officer beats your up for giving him attitude or questioning him (what's your name, badge number) he will write in his police report that you resisted arrest, and that he was applied force until you stopped resisting, at which point he stopped applying force against the citizen.

Again your assuming or only saying what you know in a PERSONAL experience. Been doing this for 9 years now and gave my name and badge number to plenty of pissed off people...did I "write it in my report", NO...why, because it is a persons RIGHT to know who i am and Idon't mind giving them that info. As I said in my earlier post...ALL OFFICERS are different and handle things differently...so you lumping us together due to YOUR bias and experiance shows that your narrow minded and can't grasp that we are PEOPLE and we all have different views as we do our job.

He will go to court, and you will explain what happened, and the judge will tell you that the police officer "has no reason to lie" and go with the police report unless you can provide tangible evidence, and often times, even in the face of tangible evidence.

Again PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with one officer or judge DOES NOT reflect ALL officers and judges....

The best way to combat police brutality, abuse, and corruption, is adequate screening, selection, training, and oversight.

I think a written test, poly, piss test, psych test, background check, and fingerprints is about as much as one can do to screen applicants. Selection...you can thank affirmitive action for poor selection procedures...as for training...who is going to pay for it? When can we conduct it? Unlike the military you don't have the luxery of training non-stop or taking entire days to train. Most states mandate atleast 4 hours a month to training and 30 hours a year...and with budgets the way they are, that is about as much as you will get.

A civilian oversight board is what all of you should be pushing for in your local jurisdictions. You are "We the People," you have to demand to be policed by consent. Write your local officials, demand a civilian oversight board which has the authority to impose penalties on police officers and/or terminate them in the case of abuse or misuse of police powers.

I have no problems with that and here at my agency we have civilians on the board for civil service reviews. One isse there again is perception. How many civilians understand how it actually is dealing with some of the folks we deal with? How many civilians have been shot at on a traffic stop? How many have dealt with folks high on pcp, coc aine, heroin, meth, etc..? How many went to scenes and dealt with a father who just crushed his wife's head with a lamp and then cut his own 4 year old daughters throat, then decided to fight when we arrived? As long as they can view things from BOTH sides and understand the speed, reality, and danger of certain situations then I again have no problems with them on the boards.

My proof of this is that in San Antonio I was a passenger in a vehicle where this happened to the driver. I wrote a statement for the court, and the judge state that both I and the driver were lying, and that I had lied because the driver was my "friend."

Like I said, YOUR experiance does not reflect all agencies, officers, or court systems.

Always demand trial by Jury it is your legal right, that's what he did and now it doesn't matter what that judge has to say about the police officer having 'no reason' to lie about why he beat someone up.

I agree...Let a jury decide.

I just read more of the officer in this thread's posts and I realize that I was hasty to jump the gun on him. He seems like a good police officer and probably does not abuse anyone. My apologies to you.

That makes two of us since I responded before getting to this section. Either way, apology accepted. I do not abuse my power, don't care too. Will I kick a suspects a@@ who actually resists me...hell yes...I won't hesitate, but doing this for 9 years teaches you some things and someone who cusses you, is in a bad mood, pissed off, etc...99% of the time can be calmed down by simply saying...HEY...calm down...lol.

That said, I still stand by all of these statements, any police officer who does not understand his oath and any police officer who thinks he is above the law or has the right to beat up people for being 'rude' should not be one, and civilian oversight boards for every county in the country would be the best thing that ever happened to policing.

I agree...and as I have said MANY TIMES...officers who act out and can't do this job should be removed...and luckily in the cases I have seen or researched where the officer was a complete douchbag is no longer a cop and paid for his actions.

[edit on 4/17/2010 by rcwj1975]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
In uk and usa, you cannot do anything. The police have been trying to destroy my life for 18 years for no reason, i have never done anything, and they would never let me live a life.

You just cannot do anything, if you even report them, it could make them worse.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
rcwj1975

I deserved that entire post for jumping the gun on you irrationally. I let my emotions get the better of me because of something that I witnessed and idiotically applied that to you, which was shameful on my part.

I realized what I had done and apologized in the second post, as you saw, but left the original stuff up because I did not want you to think I was trying to hide from the responsibility of my (incorrect) statements.

I'm glad you accepted my apology despite my harsh words and look forward to hearing from posts about you in the future.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
In uk and usa, you cannot do anything. The police have been trying to destroy my life for 18 years for no reason, i have never done anything, and they would never let me live a life.

You just cannot do anything, if you even report them, it could make them worse.

andy, if you have a grievance with a police officer or even a department you absolutely should file a complaint. Even though my friend was beat up and the complaint has had no immediate effects, when my friend is acquitted the complaint he and I filed will hold more weight.

Never let the "hopelessness" of trying to combat unfair treatment prevent you from trying to fight it through the appropriate channels. Sure, it's hard, sure, it sucks, but there are plenty of success stories out there.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

Na it would not help, i think in the real world these scum just set out to kill or absolute destroy you, and your fecked for life.

Government and police are two things you cannot sue, and especially if your like me with no money(there fault), they know i cannot do anything.

For anyone out there i would advise against doing anything against police as they will absolute destroy you, and your family if you have one.

I am just glad i will never bring someone into this world, for those murderers to destroy. Governments and police are just murderers, and my life has proved it.

Remember people once they target you do not do anything, as they will love it.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenRadek

I ask my fellow ATS members this question: What can you do if a police officer attacks you for no reason whatsoever?

From personal experience, I say defend yourself, but within reason.

There's three incidents I went through that jump to mind, where an officer acted out of line. It's my given nature to confront, so I did. Nothing severe, I just let them know I was no punching bag.

Now, if you fly off the handle and lay into them, they'll retaliate, which is exactly what some of them want. Then, you get in the system as an "authority issue".

My confrontations that I mention were merely a 'loss of face' type thing, where they were made to look bad when they showed aggression.

There's other times that action had to be taken and the police were somewhat involved, although mainly after the fact.

All in all, you have to size up the situation, because some departments are corrupt, and will try and influence the population any way the deem fit.

[edit on 4/17/2010 by passingthought]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Here in the UK you can take their number and file a complaint and that's about it. Of course trying to file that complaint is difficult, the police service reviews itself and so cover each other and of course you are setting yourself up for some serious harrassment.

If a police officer beats me then he/she will then arrest me, throw me in a cell and claim i had attacked him/her. Now unless i have proof otherwise, the justice system will believe them.

Basically if a police officer decides to give you a beating then theres little you can do, if you fight back them you'll be going to prison for a long time.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I can't imagine why anybody would legitimately attack an old cripppled guy like myself, but I'm prepared in any event. I usually call 911 if there's any sign of trouble at a traffic stop - let the authorities record it on their system. But to be attacked I'd have to exit the car and it would be surprising if I made that decision without significant conversation that I would expect to be cordial.

My town is very small so I wouldn't expect to be attacked there by police since the chief and the mayor are on my speed dial. Hypothetically, if you could subdue the officer and cuff him to his squad car until help arrives you might not go to jail - at least around here!

Two years ago my state legalized conceal firearms carry in your auto.
About the same time they updated the rules on resisting unlawful arrest to include the use of deadly force. Go figure.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I thought I would put this in here for you to printout to keep on you or in your glovebox....or do whatever you want with it

-Kdial1

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
You simply contact his superior. This works wonders. It is a chain of command thing. Don't try and go too far up the chain, the president does not have time for your dispute.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join