It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2.5 mil. dead in US, who needs terrorists.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
an edit add - we are the bread basket of the world (+Canada) so are we exporting sickness & death?
Read the whole story for yourself
www.huffingtonpost.com...
When the FDA was constructing their GMO policy in 1991-2, their scientists were clear that gene-sliced foods were significantly different and could lead to "different risks" than conventional foods. But official policy declared the opposite, claiming that the FDA knew nothing of significant differences, and declared GMOs substantially equivalent.

GMOs were rushed onto our plates in 1996. Over the next nine years, multiple chronic illnesses in the US nearly doubled -- from 7% to 13%. Allergy-related emergency room visits doubled between 1997 and 2002 while food allergies, especially among children, skyrocketed. We also witnessed a dramatic rise in asthma, autism, obesity, diabetes, digestive disorders, and certain cancers.

If GMOs are indeed responsible for massive sickness and death, then the individual who oversaw the FDA policy that facilitated their introduction holds a uniquely infamous role in human history. That person is Michael Taylor. He had been Monsanto's attorney before becoming policy chief at the FDA. Soon after, he became Monsanto's vice president and chief lobbyist.

This month Michael Taylor became the senior advisor to the commissioner of the FDA. He is now America's food safety czar. What have we done?
--

www.mednet.ru...
I can't read Russian - aargh but they figure US will die from their own foods.
Russian scientists further claim in these reports that the United States mass vaccination of their population this past year for the supposed H1N1 Swine Flu epidemic was instead a “very clumsy attempt” to stop the spreading of this mysterious lung disease by injecting into these peoples a DNA “fix” to this genetically modified corn, and which by all the evidence available, they state, appears to have failed.
--

theemergencyfoodsupply.com...
Many farmers are fed up with Monsanto's ruthless use of litigation. All over the United States, the wind is carrying Monsanto's genetically altered seeds into neighboring fields. Monsanto regularly sends out investigators to visit farms and to test whether any Monsanto strains have shown up on those farms. If they have, then Monsanto proceeds to sue the living daylights out of those farmers.

The truth is that many natural health experts claim that there is a growing body of evidence that genetically modified foods have a link to food allergies, intestinal damage, autoimmune disorders, anemia, diabetes, infertility and even cancer. Independent scientific studies done on the effects of genetically modified have produced some incredibly troubling results.

93 Percent Of Soybeans And 80 Percent Of Corn In The U.S. Grow From Seeds Genetically Modified By Monsanto

--
www.dailymail.co.uk...
According to the research, animals fed on three strains of genetically modified maize created by the U.S. biotech firm Monsanto suffered signs of organ damage after just three months.

The findings only came to light after Monsanto was forced to publish its raw data on safety tests by anti-GM campaigners.
--

www.biolsci.org...
Our analysis clearly reveals for the 3 GMOs new side effects linked with GM maize consumption, which were sex- and often dose-dependent. Effects were mostly associated with the kidney and liver, the dietary detoxifying organs, although different between the 3 GMOs. Other effects were also noticed in the heart, adrenal glands, spleen and haematopoietic system. We conclude that these data highlight signs of hepatorenal toxicity, possibly due to the new pesticides specific to each GM corn. In addition, unintended direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification cannot be excluded.

--
The company which brought you Agent Orange & the watered down version Round-up as well as bovine growth hormones to make cows give more (now bad) milk. You gotta love a company like that. All these troubles & still going strong. Can a wooden stake large enough ever be found to put this monster down? Don't think so.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Doctor G]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
wow u did a lot of research compiling this
S&F for ur efforts

lots of info Im still digesting
will be back

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doctor G
www.biolsci.org...

I don't have time to research every source you listed, so I just picked this one, which says:

One corn (NK 603) has been genetically engineered to tolerate the broad spectrum herbicide Roundup and thus contains residues of this formulation.

Residues of the formulation? what is that supposed to mean, that it has residues of roundup in it? I don't think they know what they're talking about, here's what NK603 has:

www.monsanto.com...

Using modern biotechnology, Monsanto Company has developed Roundup Ready corn plants that confer tolerance to glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup agricultural herbicides, by the production of the glyphosate-tolerant CP4 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase (EPSPS) proteins.

So no roundup reside, but proteins that are roundup resistant.

I will be the first to admit I haven't done a whole lot of research on this yet, but I guess I will when I have time. But the only source I checked I don't find very credible.

I don't know if GM foods are safe or not but reading how NK603 corn was modified doesn't set off any alarm bells for me.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Arbitrageur]

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
You're kidding right. You're using Monsanto PR to make a defensive point for a Monsanto product - on ATS?

edit to add: to the thread generally - I highly recommend watching Food Inc, unless you'd rather not know what's in your food. Available on all the torrent sites.

[edit on 17/4/10 by RogerT]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
And then there is Bayer's admission in the past few days that their gen modified products can not be controlled at all.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
this will keep my interest for awhile. great post s+f.

im also d/l Food inc. ive heard about it, this whole Genetic modification thing has my tinfoil interest buzzing. i hope it sheds some light on the scientific aspect of all this

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I read somewhere recenty that around a third of a million people in the US die each year of obesity related illnesses.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Adamus]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Doctor G

S&F. Excellent work.

...GM frankenfood is truly scary - but it's not the only source of major contaminants in our world. In politics and business, you follow the money to find out what's really going on.

In medicine, pharmaceuticals, chemicals and GM - follow the proteins first, then the money.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
love it when people spread awareness on GMOS. A buddy of mine and I made a t shirt company exactley for raising awareness on GMOS.

The thing about corn is that it now produces DDT the pesticide that even the FDA has banned without being dilluted like round up.

And for the person who took monsantos website as reference to debunk this thread. You need to understand that gmo testing was done on rats for a short term study.

The long term study on health for humans is being tested as we speak through grocery stores and restaurants since 1996.

Remeber monsantos first product back in 1901 was sacchrine, which if you don't know the probelms with that then there is no getting through to you.
Monsantos has a long track recor of having former employees working with the FDA EPA and USDA. Even a former monsantos attorney was a supreme court judge, the one that decided bush won his election.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
In my country a lot of farmers use, the actual, "round-up" (I have absolutely no idea, how they even found it to begin with) to dry grains. They use round-up at around 3 weeks before packaging, so the residue has time to disappear; instead ofc. they could be using dehumidifiers at about 20ct+ per Ton.
It was a rather good documentary for it's budget, but every official/reporter/scientist/expert failed at their job so badly that I still got the shakes.

The most terrifying thing is that the farmers were not afraid to admit it. It is often necessary for them to partake in such "shady" means, just to break even at the end of the year.

Well anyways...

If we all get to agree on this somehow, we should at least try to banhammer this thing from where it came from.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

93 Percent Of Soybeans And 80 Percent Of Corn In The U.S. Grow From Seeds Genetically Modified By Monsanto

*Hint Hint*

Soy and corn products, Genetically modified or organic, are NOT healthy. Chew on that for a little bit.

GMOs were rushed onto our plates in 1996. Over the next nine years, multiple chronic illnesses in the US nearly doubled -- from 7% to 13%. Allergy-related emergency room visits doubled between 1997 and 2002 while food allergies, especially among children, skyrocketed. We also witnessed a dramatic rise in asthma, autism, obesity, diabetes, digestive disorders, and certain cancers.

In case you were wondering, obesity, diabetes and cancer were already on the rise long before the 1990's. Oh.....and it was also in the 80's/90's when dietary fat/cholesterol was considered the Devil and carbohydrates the cure all, end all. It was during this time when Low-Fat/High-Carb diets diets were the craze. In fact, SUGAR was not considered a danger to one's health and the American Diabetes Association (ADA) was recommending the consumption of fructose laiden foods as a replacement for fatty foods..(and foods that spike blood glucose).

The truth is that many natural health experts claim that there is a growing body of evidence that genetically modified foods have a link to food allergies, intestinal damage, autoimmune disorders, anemia, diabetes, infertility and even cancer.

....and tire skid marks are linked to car wrecks, but that doesn't mean they cause car wrecks. The aformentioned disorders are also linked to poor dietary choices. The problem with correlations is they don't imply causation.

According to the research, animals fed on three strains of genetically modified maize created by the U.S. biotech firm Monsanto suffered signs of organ damage after just three months.

This "study" really bothers me....here's why....

First of all, rats are Omnivorous, and I'm assuming (since I don't have access to study methods they used) they were fed a diet of strictly GM Maize. We already know the effects of high carbohydrate diets on rats:

Dr Seralini concluded that rats which ate the GM maize had ' statistically significant' signs of liver and kidney damage. Each strain was linked to unusual concentrations of hormones in the blood and urine of rats fed the maize for three months, compared to rats given a non-GM diet.

The higher hormone levels suggest that animals' livers and kidneys are not working properly.

Female rats fed one of the strains also had higher blood sugar levels and raised levels of fatty substances caused

The study clearly demonstrated what is already known; high carbohydrate diets have negative effects on the liver, hormone levels, blood sugars and blood lipids.

And what kind of "study" is this? Where is the control? Where is the group of rats being fed organic maize? I garauntee those rats would experience the exact same negative health effects as the other 3 groups.

Look, I have no doubt that GM foods have the potential to be dangerous; I just haven't seen anything definitive. Cancer? Sure. Diabetes? lol...no!

-Dev

[edit on 17-4-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The chronic disease pandemic was flagged in the early-mid 2000's - and the role of infectious disease like flu in triggering and exacerbating chronic disease was ID'd as a key threat. ......Similarly, GM frankenfoods may not actually cause chronic disease - but definitely act as triggers to reactivate underlying latent infections - just like new infections do.

More information for the hypothesis presented in the OP here in an old thread, just removed from the News forum:

Bird Flu and Beyond: Chronic Disease to Kill 400 Million

Unsafe water, air pollution, soil pollution, pesticides, hazardous waste, and chemicals in food are causing chronic disease, killing people, and preventing economic development, reports the World Bank. Climate change also is causing chronic disease and millions of deaths in poor regions, the report states. The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that 388 million people in the world will die from chronic disease in the next 10 years.

Also see: Bird Flu, and the "Neglected Epidemic" ...Especially note that the studies and reports refer to "chronic disease" in the singular, not plural. Not a typo - means there is a recognition that all derive from same/similar underlying source.

Also note: the above articles link H5N1 bird flu to the chronic disease pandemic, while it's actually H1N1 swine flu that's now pandemic - but genetic studies show that it's genes from H5N1 that make H1N1 easily transmissible between humans.....

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

this article states that
"titans of agrochemical field crops like Cargill Inc., Archer-Daniels-Midland, and DuPont's Pioneer Hi-Bred International have formed a line of defense against the opposition by promising farmers that they will buy their gene-altered grains."

www.1worldcommunication.org...

any particular reason all the focus is on monsanto? could this be politically motivated? if you're gonna call it, call it. but don't pretend to be against something while protecting or failing to mention, other companies doing the same thing. i think most of us are fed up with that as well. if it's poison, it's poison, no matter who sells it.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by undo]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

We're getting that from Netflix on Monday.

You may also be interested in watching King Korn
www.amazon.com...

KING CORN is a fun and crusading journey into the digestive tract of our fast food nation where one ultra-industrial, pesticide-laden, heavily-subsidized commodity dominates the food pyramid from top to bottom corn. Fueled by curiosity and a dash of naivete, college buddies Ian Cheney and Curt Ellis return to their ancestral home of Greene, Iowa to figure out how a modest kernel conquered America.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Good point undo. Thanks.

"if it's poison, it's poison, no matter who sells it."

...I make the same mistake as Doctor G, just because Monsanto rolls off the tongue easily, jumps to mind for GM, yada yada.

genetic engineering
genetic modification
....rats. I can't remember all the names for all the bad stuff. Jump in any time.

And never mind "Cargill Inc., Archer-Daniels-Midland, and DuPont's Pioneer Hi-Bred International" - most industries including Big Pharma and chemical manufacturers use GM to create products these days. It all stinks.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

And what kind of "study" is this? Where is the control? Where is the group of rats being fed organic maize? I garauntee those rats would experience the exact same negative health effects as the other 3 groups.

From the study

GM maize-fed rats were compared first to their respective isogenic or parental non-GM equivalent control groups. This was followed by comparison to six reference groups, which had consumed various other non-GM maize varieties.

There's more detail about the control and reference groups' diet later, including:

There were also two comparative control groups fed diets containing similar quantities of the closest isogenic or parental maize variety. Furthermore, groups of animals were also fed with diets containing one of six other normal (non-GM) reference maize lines; the same lines for the NK 603 and MON 810 tests, but different types for the MON 863 trials.

The experiment design seems clearly flawed (the authors of that article spend quite a bit of effort pointing out the flaws -- but this study was a reevaluation of data provided in the studies that Monsanto used to claim GM maize was safe. The major flaws (such as only having 2 levels of GM maize content and trying to determine dose-dependent effect from that) would produce error biased toward the safety of GM maize. This study is important because it re-analyzes that data and demonstrates how flawed the original claim of safety is.

As for the need for an organic maize control group, I'm not sure I see why you think that's needed. I would think that a control group with the same diet, only using non-GM vs GM maize would be ideal?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Excellent work my friend! .. If there has ever been a conflict of interest.. its putting the head of a biotech firm in charge of the FDA! .. if that is not blatant corruption, what the hell is?!?

I am fortunate enough to have the ability to grow my own vegetables now.. I don't have to worry about whether pesticides or GM seeds were used in their production. Or spend an outrageous amount of money buying "Organic" fruits and veggies.. But even on top of that, I used to be able to sift through the crap and buy Organic.. but now "Hormones" etc are considered organic, the bio engineering companies are infiltrating the Organic movement because it cuts into their profits.

I don't know what we can do anymore.. hell, unless we all start growing our own food? But I can't have chickens and cows in my suburban backyard.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
We didn't have to invade Iraq to find weapons of mass destruction. St Louis MO. (Monsanto H.Q.) is the home of WMD and "they" deployed them a long time ago...in our food.The "Evil Empire" is alive and prospering at everyone's expense, in Missouri. Have a look at some "former" Monsanto employees(chemists,biologists), who blew some whistles. The "whistle blowers were IGNORED by the FDA,(don't get me started on a rant vis a vis the FDA).Ignored by state & fed. legislators(Monsanto has a lot of money, and put it to use. $$$ make good pocket liners.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doctor G
www.mednet.ru...
I can't read Russian - aargh but they figure US will die from their own foods.
Russian scientists further claim in these reports

Sorry, but may I say two magic words?

Word #1: Sorcha

Word #2: Faal

Bingo! Sorcha Faal, and as reported to her Western Subscribers

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Its simple.You don't mess with mother nature,or else she kills you.This GM stuff is nasty,and thats why People die from it.Of cousre,Monsanta doesnt care because they dont respect anything but the alimighty dollar.

Its like when most people start busnesses.They dont care about the people they sell to, just that they get they're money. Busnesspeople like that are ruining the world and noone but us can see it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join