It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is United States military budget so high compared to Russia’s?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This is found from Wikipedia so results might be a little different. United States military budget is around 607 billion with Russia’s around 58 billion. My question is if Russia has almost as much military equipment as the United States, and more nuclear missiles, why is United States budget so much more?

Also United States is also the number one arms dealer, so it is not like the States are buying any weapons.?

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My first reaction is that instead of a middle class in the USA TPTB prefer military personnel. Seems like about the only people still shopping in my area are military people. The middle class is otherwise pretty much gone here...or afraid to spend anything.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You should read Project for a New American Century and see why some elitists wanted to bring America's military into the "New American Century". But it wouldn't have been easily possible without a new "Pearl Harbor". And 9/11 was just the "Pearl Harbor" that they needed.

Besides, Russia isn't trying to rule the world and have bases in most countries.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The US has a lot higher budget for Military goodies simply because
the US has a lot more money, even if they have to print it, they will
get the funds one way or another.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
But Russia has almost if not more bombs, and almost equalling aircrafts, not sure about tanks. I know the U.S.A spends a lot of money for missile defence systems, but still that wouldn’t make the military budget to 607 billion.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
the former USSR bankrupted itself trying to spend as much as we did on military hardware. Russia today has a lot of nukes...but a lot of them are rusting in their silos. They've got a lot of conventional hardware...do a google search for russian military and you'll find a lot of it...rusting away to nothing sitting in empty fields. Russian soldiers routinely do not get paid for weeks or months and beg for food or spare change to survive. Only recently has their entire countries budget grown with petrodollars. They don't have a whole lot of NEW tech. Whereas the US is completely state of the art in most everything and we pay a very pretty penny for it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

As reported on [citizens for ligitamate government.com ] ---the united states total military budget is all of the collected tax monies collected this year!!!
THATS right--the total received, the rest of the budget is borrowed money??
Dont believe it -well go check out the article

Now i gotta believe that when a contries military spending is total collected taxes, that this government is DOOMED---think of all the good this money would have gon for

CLG also reported that since WW2, we have spent 37 trillion dollars on the nuclear weapons program-------doomed we are for spending all that money on death.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't know, a lot of it is wasted. The military budget gets bigger every year but the military really doesn't get better every year. Also were only about twice as good as Russia and it should be ten times better with that money. The reason is prob because of waste and corruption. i love America so much but all this stuff makes me so angry.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by walsbg22]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by outlander6436

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!! Outlander6436 is correct and will now move on to Double Jeopardy!

We spent the Soviet Union into collapse.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by walsbg22
I don't know, a lot of it is wasted.

Correct. That makes me mad, too.

Originally posted by walsbg22
The military budget gets bigger every year but the military really doesn't get better every year.

Incorrect. We do get better. Sometimes it's just not apparent.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Actually I think America will die from waste and corruption because alot of the money does not go to defense.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

We should be a lot better than we are with that money.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by walsbg22

Oh, hells yeah! We should have ray guns and force shields for the amount of money the DoD pisses away every freakin year.

We train alot more than the average bear, but it seems like at the end of the fiscal year, we are always scrambling for a few coin to put gas in the jets to fly.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Because hiding behind a US military uniform is the easiest way to loot the US treasury.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The ruskies have the best scalar EM/quantum weaponry, the US can't compete with them in this regard. Scalar weaponry is cheaper and far more deadly than buying thousands of tanks, planes, bombs, nukes and guns, so if you have a millitary industrial complex it's not as profitable to sell the really really good stuff only.

reply to post by outlander6436

State of the art wings, jet engines, wheels, tank tracks, diesel engines, rocket assisted or not projectile explosives and other near 100 year plus old dinosaurs of an old age? We ain't really seen much tech in public sector,, a good chunk of that budget is probably spent on DUMBs and other black projects.

[edit on 16/4/10 by GhostR1der]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Because the Russian military is falling apart. Their entire navy and air force are litterly rusting away. Look at their pathetic performance in Chechnya, entire units deserted or ran away. They lost any concept of command and control ... in fact the Chechans were attacking artillery and rear echelon units at will. Even the supposedly elite VDV (paratroopers) and Spetznaz (special forces reconnaissance) did not perform so well.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by ChrisF231]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Stealth technology was made public 30 years ago. A technology which no other country can replicate to this day. ( as far as I'm aware)

30 years old ...... how far do you think we've come since then ???

were talking from Atari to Playstation 3.

the rise of the microprocessor and the internet.

how much has technology changed since the 80's ??? now imagine that running parallel with military acheivements.

as an old Lockhead employee once said, ... they've made startrek a reality.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

So you think it is the guys and gals "hiding behind the uniform" that
causes all this? Are you an American citizen? What right do you have
talking about any American in uniform? I can tell by your tone you have
never been in the military and wouldn't make it past the 2nd day of boot
camp more than likely. Our military personnel don't hide from anyone.

They are not the ones that spend money on uniforms or weapons.
Get some education and don't ever badmouth the US military.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
the majority of the money goes to the bureaucracy all the red tape and what not just to do anything thanks to the politicians say 200 billion wasted on crap that 200 billion could have been spent on 1265 f 22 fighters another 100 billion is spent on black projects and of that 40 billion isn't even told that its being spent on black projects so 607 billion minus 300 is 300 billion for day to day operations i.e feeding clothung and paying soliders , fuel and maintaining the bases etc ....and for equipment purchases so our budget is high but that is also why we are the worlds only superpower in closing we could send 540 fighter aircraft of any countries coast in a matter of 2 weeks if needed do u think that's cheap ?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Personally i think our military budget is well spent. All that money going into R&D makes our soldiers harder to kill and deadlier, plus the side benis of having a lot of tech trickle down to the civilian sectors eventually. Military and space program research has a LOT of crossover into civilian tech, the military just gets its hands on the good stuff first (which i have no problem with at all).

Yes there is a good deal of waste, but consider this US military waste and graft is FAR lower than in many countries around the world. Russia is an EXCELLENT example of this because you can go buy russian military hardware directly from the field units if you have hard currency, its pretty sad.

As for russian "scalar/quantam" weapons. Well...they didn't seem to be able to get them to work very well in Afghanistan or chechnya did they? I'm not completely convinced they even HAVE such tech. However the russians save EVERYTHING. They've got tank yards with old t-55's from the 50's and the will to throw men and machines at an enemy until they clog their guns with the dead if thats what it takes to win.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join