It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry FAQ

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robert Reynolds

In relation to 'Jahbulon' - the first place I ever heard the name was in 'From Hell' by Alan Moore (c 1998). In that book he claimed that it was a big revelation, but that he trusted his source. Within the last two months I've come across this name on a website that - at least professed - to represent the Freemasons. On that website, it was said that the last time Jahbulon was used in a ceremony, was in 1989. I kind of got the impression this source was trying to dismiss it as some sort of 'silly old tradition' that some of the boys used to partake in.

It is still used in some versions of some degree rituals, but never has been used in the context in which anti-Masons try to paint it. Anti-Masons have said that the word either alludes to a secret Masonic for God, or even to a secret Masonic god.

In reality, neither of these claims are true. Even in those rituals where similar words to this are found, it is never said to be any sort of name for God, much less some sort of secret Masonic god.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by March of the Fire Ants

1 - Is there any truth to these conspiracy theories?

It depends on which ones you are referencing. Modern anti-Masonic conspiracy theories originated with the Catholic Church, later embellished by the anti-Masonic movement within the Nazi Party. Practically amm anti-Masonic conspiracy theories can trace their roots back to either the Jesuits or the Nazi SS.

2 - Is the distinction between Scottish Rite and others important in this regard?

The Scottish Rite is one of many systems of Freemasonry. It is more philosophically bent than the York Rite, with more emphasis on esoteric subjects.

3 - Is there in fact a conspiracy against freemasons?

At times, yes, there have been.

4 - What are the main differences between Freemasonry and the New Age movement? (I mean from a philosophical/spiritual POV, not just 'freemasons aren't hippies'
)

Well, some Freemasons are hippies.....like me!

But to answer your question, it often depends on the individual Mason, as Masons do not always agree with each other on such things. Masonry is technically universalist in nature, and the higher degrees introduce esoteric concepts such as Alchemy, Hermeticism, and Kabalah. Although I'm not sure I would describe such things as "new age".

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by KIZZZY
let us look first at the ritual similarities between contemporary Wicca and Freemasonry:

When Gerald Gardner created Wicca and its ceremonies, he borrowed heavily from published Masonic ritual exposures. Same with Joseph Smith and his Mormon Endowment ritual.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Is their any special way of joining? Or do I have to pay?
The traditional answer is, "2B1ASK1"... Yeah. Masons getting all 1337 speak... To be one, ask one. Your best bet is finding a lodge in your area, finding out what nights they meet, and going down and introducing yourself, perhaps join them for dinner. Ask questions. Get to know who they are and what they're about.

You do have to pay. Application fees vary by lodge. I think I payed $100 when I turned in my application. If they vote against letting you join, you'll get your application fee returned to you.

Initiation and membership: 365.00
George Washington memorial fund: 5.00
Dues 2010: 60.00
Total 430.00

-Al

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Fees:

To join: $125 (covers first three degrees and one year membership)

Annual dues: $50

I'd be interested to see what the brothers from other lodges pay for dues.

[edit on 4/19/10 by emsed1]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet
Initiation and membership: 365.00
George Washington memorial fund: 5.00
Dues 2010: 60.00
Total 430.00
It's probably broken down a bit more than that, though...

More likely, $65 for the application/investigation. One month passes until the petition is read in lodge, another month passes during the investigation before the vote by the lodge. $100 for the EA degree. Wait 2+ months while the candidate learns their work to proficiency. $100 for the FC degree. Wait 2+ months while the candidate learns their work to proficiency. $100 for the MM degree. First year's ($60) dues are waived, because they've been covered by the initiation fees. Then $60 a year after that.

So the total outlay for the first year, in the lodge you cite, is probably $370, but spread out over 6 to 8 months, or about $15 a week.

[edit on 4/19/2010 by JoshNorton]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The following are in South African Rands, but with approximate US$ conversions as well...

Joining fees: R1100 (150$)
(Includes first year's dues)

Regalia:
EA and FC aprons are on loan, but one has to buy your own Master Mason Apron, which cost about R400 ($50)

Annual fees: R500 (65$)
Includes a free dinner and drinks at every meeting.

No additional fees for each degree.

[edit on 19/4/2010 by Saurus]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Yes only 60.00 year. I don't know how much more it gets broken down from there. I posted exactly what was on the letter I received for the 430. total. With 365. being a one time deal.

I received my 1st on 4/9 I’m scheduled to receive my 2nd on 5/14.

-Al

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Petition Fee: $40
First Degree Initiation Fee: $30
Second Degree Initiation Fee: $30
Third Degree Initiation Fee: $30
Annual Dues: $50

Total for becoming a Mason including first year's dues: $180

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Petition Fee: $25
First Degree Initiation Fee: $25
Second Degree Initiation Fee: $25
Third Degree Initiation Fee: $25
Annual Dues: $150

Total for becoming a Mason including first year's dues: $250

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As I posted in another thread:

$150 for initiation, which covers the three degrees and first years dues.
$76 for each year after that which includes assesment and George Washingotn Memorial fund.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by KIZZZY

Nope, no magic circles. I would say that we Freemasons are more prone to be square than circular.

reply to post by KIZZZY

Kabbalah just Jewish mysticism. Freemasonry isn't the occult. Freemasonry teaches good things, nothing more.

How do you know? How is it an outsider knows more than a member? Do you not think I didn't do research myself?

reply to post by KIZZZY

No worry Kizzy, I'm a Master Mason and a member of the York Rite.

reply to post by KIZZZY

Except we're the members, the ones who would know. None of my oaths said I could cover up crimes, but I was charged to be a good citizen, to never break the law.

Wow, Kizzy, the sites you pull from have no agenda at all [/sarc]

reply to post by emsed1

Annual dues for my Lodge are $100, $35 of it is per capita to Grand Lodge. Initiation fees are $250. The first year's dues are prorated from the time you are raised in my Lodge.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Why only men?
Why not women?

- Phoenix

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason
Freemasonry isn't the occult.

I just wanted to add my opinion. In the truest sense of the word Masonry does have occult knowledge, meaning hidden. The word however has been misused to the point where occult is now perceived to be synonymous with black magic, which is incorrect.

So I have no issue with any occultic aspect of Masonry as the leasons are initially 'hidden' from the candiate and then 'revealed' through the performance of the three degrees.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by AugustusMasonicus]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix_zephyr

Because it is a fraternity. I would have no desire to join a sorority and see no reason why this would be an issue with women.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

I just wanted to add my opinion. In the truest sense of the word Masonry does have occult knowledge, meaning hidden. The word however has been misused to the point where occult is now perceived to be synonymous black magic which is incorrect.

So I have no issue with any occultic aspect of Masonry as the leasons are initially 'hidden' from the candiate and then 'revealed' through the performance of the three degrees.

I agree with AM here, only to add that the process continues throughout the other degrees as well, not only the first three.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
reply to post by phoenix_zephyr

Because it is a fraternity. I would have no desire to join a sorority and see no reason why this would be an issue with women.

I on the other hand would LOVE to join a sorority.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Fees for me here in Southern Cali at my lodge:

Application to join: $150 (includes that year's dues)
Annual Dues: $55 (my lodge is very well off financially)

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
I on the other hand would LOVE to join a sorority.

Yeah, I did think about that after I posted.

A lot.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
do you have to believe in god to join?

can you join if you consider yourself a morale atheist?

do freemasons still build things anymore?

ive heard that the "illuminati" are somehow related to the freemasons, if not does the illuminati exist?

why are there freemason symbols on some public
schools?

why is there a lodge in every town village or city?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join