It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit: School administrator 'may be a voyeur' who spied on kids for personal gratification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Lawsuit: School administrator 'may be a voyeur' who spied on kids for personal gratification

www.blacklistednews.com

A Philadelphia-area school district secretly took "thousands" of webcam photos of students in their homes and tracked their Web site visits and parts of online chats through spy software installed on the students' school-issued laptops, a Pennsylvania court heard yesterday.

In February, the family of Blake Robbins, a student at Harriton High School in Rosemont, sued the Lower Merion School District after the district admitted to them it had been spying on students via a remote-activated...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

...feature on the laptops it issued to all its 2,300 high school pupils.

In a motion filed in court on Thursday, Robbins' lawyers asserted that the school district had taken at least 400 snapshots of 15-year-old Robbins, including some of him sleeping. The motion also stated that the school district took "thousands of webcam pictures and screen shots have been taken of numerous other students in their homes," the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

And in a strange twist to the story, the lawyers also suggested that Carol Cafiero, one of two school administrators with access to the spying technology, "may be a voyeur" who spied on students for her personal gratification, as some of the images taken by the laptops may have ended up on her personal computer.
The motion asks the judge to force Cafiero to turn over her home computer, which she has refused to do so far. Earlier this week, during a deposition, Cafiero pleaded the Fifth Amendment to all questions regarding her involvement in the alleged school spying.

Watching the students at home was like "a little [Lower Merion School District] soap opera," said a staffer in an email obtained by Robbins' lawyers.

"I know, I love it," Cafiero responded in a reply email, as quoted at the Inquirer.

(emphasis added by me)

Wow, look at those quotes that I made bold... A soap opera? That's insane, these people were really enjoying spying on these kids...

Now I understand this has been posted about before, but this is a much more updated article and it's about the lawsuit. I've been wanting to make a thread on this for a while - I live outside the city [Philly] and this has been on the news a lot, and they've actually been reporting the truth about the situation pretty much which is refreshing to see on MSM.

Anyway, this is all sickening, and to think it's happened so close to me. Makes me wonder about the computers my younger brother uses. I have already covered up all the cams on the laptops my family uses after telling them how people can remotely access them which they were happy I explained to them.

Edit to add: Just wanted to tell you all, there is a lot more to this story, check out the full article, it's pretty interesting. So far no nude pictures or anything have been found but I wouldn't put it past these sick bastards to have taken pictures of the students and/or family members naked or something. I mean think about it, the computer could have been in the living room. Kid's aren't home, mom and dad decide to have some fun... *hits RECORD* "Woha!"

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/4/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Completely and utterly speechless.
We are supposed to teach our children to respect authority figures in school.
We are supposed to teach them that it is a safe environment to learn.
We are supposed to be able to trust that that is completely true.
If one school is doing it..you can bet dollars to donuts that others are.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join