It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas city revives paddling as it takes a swat at misbehavior

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
this is amazing and i applaud it, only if more and more schools would lift the ban, and only if more and more parent would spank their kids once in a while, only then kids might start thinking twice about doing something.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I wish my son's school had corporal punishment. Then maybe his teachers wouldn't have to call me and complain about his behavior every week....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I remember being paddled once in middle school. It had to be authorized by your parents. Was pretty interesting actually, I ended up in a fight with another boy. He got sent home for a week, I got paddled and sent back to class. Obviously I didn't lose any time from my schoolwork or anything like that. I also steered clear of fights from then on out.

It's not really the psyche damaging experience that a lot of people make it out to be. Sure it hurt for a minute and wasn't particularly fun at the time, but it's not supposed to be fun or feel good. I don't harbor any ill will toward the principal or my father for authorizing it.

I equate it more to a nudge in the right direction, a "Hey knock it off stupid" moment. I find it interesting the article does state that things have apparently calmed down considerably. Even if it's not used, knowing that it can be is a effective deterrent.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I predict a few teachers getting shot if corpral punishment is brought back. Spank a kid in these times and your libel to get killed.

I remember in klindergarten, I think, having a teacher sneak up to me while I was suppose to be taking a nap. I was actually talking to a girl, anyways, this teacher sneaks up on me and wops me on the butt so hard it felt like she was trying to hammer me through the floor.

I learned to shut up during nap time after that.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with a good paddling. The number one objection is "its mean" .. tough crap, it's mean. My parents had a paddle for me and my siblings, and I'm pretty sure it was common place in the 80's still.

And theres nothing I hate more than a parent that claims they don't "disciplin" .. they prefer to "talk it out" .. I love seeing them in the stores, the kid throwing a tantrum in the aisle, throwing things, screaming, kicking, raising hell while the mother is trying to talk to the little beast in a nice sweet voice. Almost always results in the mom buying something for the kid, and the kid thinking his mom is a tool. Which she is.

And to those who say it's "psychologically harmful" .. your children are pansies. If you can't handle being slapped with a stick after you act like a jackass.. you deserve to be smacked twice more. Same goes for kids who cant play games like dodge ball because it hurts their feelings. Pathetic.

I might be mean, but I have little tolerance for whiny children concerned about their "feelings".

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Will be interesting to see how this goes. Personally, im glad they didn't have this at my school. My natural reaction would have been to take a swipe at whoever hit me, my aggression bottles up so that's not good at all. But that's just me and im sure this will work out for the best in curbing behavior issues, the after effects though we'll have to wait and see.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think this is an insane idea and schools should not be allowed to use corporal punishment (parents permission, or not...) I'd love to see them try that up here. You'd end up with teachers or administrators getting assaulted.

Nostalgia for "yester year" is ridiculous, in this example. I note this is generally only taking place in small towns - seems those in the cities are a bit more *aware* of the possible repercussions.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I live in Texas and I have always had it put in my kiddos school files not to spank but to call me ASAP and I would be more than happy to spank (now don't all of you freak out.. stay with me on this)

Each and every school year I give them all the same threat.. If I am called down because the principal needs to spank I will do so, and do so in front of EVERYONE!

Guess what, I have never been called in because they required a spank. Talking maybe, but never a spank.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I know this won't solve all the problems out there, but I'll tell you one thing, ADULTS NEED TO TAKE BACK THE POWER. One of the main problems is that children know they can literally get away with murder, and no one will do anything about it, oh, except for a time-out. I in no way what-so-ever advocate abuse, just to put the fear back into them. Children are dumb and mean, they have to be taught that when they mess up, there will be repercussions other than "no Wii for a week" Spanking kept me in line, with no trauma or tendency to be violent. I have never been in trouble or gone to jail, so I don't want to hear the "it promots violence" arguement, because it doesn't hold water.

I want to commend the previous posters. I agree with you 100%!!
OP, S&F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Gotta hand it to the school boards in Texas, they will do anything it takes to send our children back into the 20th century.

It has been proven time and time again that physical punishment is an ineffective, and even counter-productive, form of discipline.

There is little research evidence that physical punishment improves children's behavior in the long term.
There is substantial research evidence that physical punishment makes it more, not less, likely that children will be defiant and aggressive in the future.
There is clear research evidence that physical punishment puts children at risk for negative outcomes, including increased mental health problems.
There is consistent evidence that children who are physically punished are at greater risk of serious injury and physical abuse.

Phoenix Children's Hospital

Physical punishment usually doesn't work for several reasons. First, it makes the child hate himself and others. Physical punishment makes the child think that there must be something awfully wrong with him to be treated so badly. If children think they are "bad," then they will act "bad." A vicious cycle is formed. The child who has been treated harshly has no reason to be good. Or he may be good just to keep from being punished and not learn to be good because he thinks it is the right thing to do.

Virginia Tech

I can say for certain that if I had children in that school district, I would pull them out immediately. Parents who choose corporal punishment are usually those who have suffered it as a child, and use it on their children as a result. They support it because of the short-term benefits (the child shuts up), but ignore the long-term consequences of physical abuse. The only way to break the cycle is to stop it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Quite honestly, if you would take off your rose colored glasses and look at the state of children these days, you'd back off of that assessment. Having come out of school a few short years ago, I fully support the return of corporal punishement, suspensions, expulsions, and being held back.

If you eat sugar every day, your teeth rot. Pampering kids like little angels and never disciplining them is rotting them to the core.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

If you eat sugar every day, your teeth rot. Pampering kids like little angels and never disciplining them is rotting them to the core.

Pampering your children is not an adequate way to raise them.

Beating your children is not an adequate way to raise them.

I fear that it is the inability to see between these two extremes (as you have just demonstrated) that has led to the vast amount of problems we have with children in our society. I hope if you ever have children you will be able to find a healthier perspective on raising them.

The last thing we need are more little psychopaths running around. Coincidentally, stay the hell out of Temple, Texas.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Beating your children is not an adequate way to raise them.

What part of getting 3-5 smacks on the butt with a wooden paddle do you consider beating? Something that leaves no physical marks or lasting impression I would not consider beating.

I am totally against abuse or beating your children. There is most certainly a difference between abuse/beating and a spanking/paddling.

I have been paddled once in my life and spanked 4 times. I have never been in trouble with the law, I don't beat my wife, i'm not an alcoholic or drug addict, I have a stable full time job and live a fairly normal productive life. Spanking or paddling your child for doing something not conductive to a long life does not cause them to become a sociopath.

Beating your child on the other hand most certainly could. There is a huge difference between "You got into a fist fight in school, you need a spanking" and daddy got drunk and beat you bloody or "You need to shut up *smack*."

Most people who are against spanking/paddling are unable to separate a spank meant to instill discipline and an abusive beating.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
When I was in school, if I got paddled for being a jacka$$, when I got home I got it again. lol And while I got paddled only a few times at school, due to needing an attitude tune up once in a while, I never felt animosity towards the one paddling me. I wasn't stupid. I knew I messed up royaly and understood, ummmmm, duh, don't do that crazy crap again. lol At least until next school year when I would need to be tuned up again.

Good luck paddling kids in school these days, though.

Last school year my grandson was basically the Son of Satan in class. Throwing chairs, kicking his teacher, yelling and screaming. I often got phone calls from school concerning his behaviour problems. It'd go like this:" Mr. Kyred? Junior is having a bad day."

Heh. He's having a bad day. Heh. It was everyone else having the bad day because of him. Finally, one day, I suggested, hey, why don't you smack him on the butt? I guarantee you it will work out quite well concerning his "bad days".

Oh, no. Can't do that. I said, hey, it worked for me. I smacked him on the butt one time and I have no more behaviour problems with him here.

Instead the school brought in a special teacher to teach him, alone for about two months. Sheesh. All that when a good smack on the butt would have worked.

This year he is much better. Not because of the special teacher in my opinion. It's due. I believe, to me telling him, I don't want any phone calls from school this year because you are acting like a psycho kid. I will deal with you myself and you will not be happy. In fact, you will wish you actually could sit still in your chair, because your butt will hurt too much to enjoy sitting the next day.

Am I a horrible person? Nope. I love the boy very much. So much so that I will discipline him when he needs it. Does he love me? Yes. Is he afraid of me? No. Does he respect me? Yes. We have lots of fun together and he often hugs me and tells me, Papaw, you are way more fun than my Daddy. I'm glad I live with you and not him.

Interestingly enough, he doesn't even remember me smacking him twice on the butt that one time.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick

I am totally against abuse or beating your children. There is most certainly a difference between abuse/beating and a spanking/paddling.

From the parent's perspective, yes. But often not from the child's. That is where the problem arises.

Originally posted by Hypntick
I have been paddled once in my life and spanked 4 times. I have never been in trouble with the law, I don't beat my wife, i'm not an alcoholic or drug addict, ...

Being paddled once, and spanked a grand total of 4 times is nothing. I was beat considerably more than you were as a child. I know of the ramifications it had for me. And still, I was not beaten often.

There are parents who beat their children much more often. There are parents who beat them once a month. There are even parents who beat their children every day. These are the abusive circumstances from which abusive children are born. This is the cycle we have to stop.

What about the teachers in this school district? Is there a guarantee that there will not be a teacher who paddles his/her students regularly? Daily even? Perhaps for minor offenses, or even 'perceived' offenses? Where do we draw the line?

Simply put, there is absolutely no situation where corporal punishment is preferable to other more effective means of punishment. For parents and educators who are willing to think outside of the "spank/don't spank" paradigm, there are myriad solutions available. The problem is, many adults are but overgrown children themselves, and certainly not fit to raise one.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully

Will be interesting to see how this goes. Personally, im glad they didn't have this at my school. My natural reaction would have been to take a swipe at whoever hit me

I would hit back too! I'd also like to add that if anybody other than myself ever tried to spank my child, I would take a swing at 'em for that as well.

Allowing a stranger to paddle your child is weird. There are some things that should be the responsibility of parents alone, and this type of punishment is one of those things!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
When I was in school the boys got paddled but the girls got suspended for three days. I was prepared to fight this on the grounds of sex discrimination and how that would hurt my grades but I never got caught doing anything. ;-)

I think corporal punishment is often very kinky and can create kinky behavior, just my opinion and observations over the years.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
anyone read this and think.. "paddlin peggy" *king of the hill* ?

haha

[edit on 4/16/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
I was beat considerably more than you were as a child. I know of the ramifications it had for me.

And here is why we are in the situation we are today. People who WERE abused as kids taking a vendetta against this too far. Repressing their own anger at their abusers and using that fire to campaign against ANY punishment. Period.

Tip: If your father beat you as a kid, go smack him around a bit and get rid of your resentment. Stop campaigning for the silly-headed idea that children are angels and should never be touched under any circumstances.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I guess we'll have to give this time and see what happens. Not all kids will react the same. They are [generally] raised in different environments so you can't really predict their reaction. This isn't pro or anti paddling, its just saying that not all of them are going to take it and learn a lesson. I don't know, i guess i am rambling a bit and forgot what else i was going to say

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join