It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military Warns: Peak Oil in 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A report issued by the U.S. Joint Forces Command predicts that oil production will peak, and the world will begin facing shortages of 10 million barrels a day by 2015.
Daily Finance Article

The article also goes on to say that "experts" think oil shortages will cause another economic crisis by 2013. Interesting considering that peak oil has been claimed to be a myth for years in the media and even on these boards. Of course considering it was put out by the military I won't count out ulterior motives.

Here is some more information on peak oil if you want to watch the entire documentary.

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
As far as I can tell, our first bout of peak oil happened around 2005 when the prices started rising through the roof. The depression offset the date, but it's still just around the corner. Luckily (or not??) we'll be seeing more of a downturn by 2012 from our (fake) recovery, so it may be offset just a little while longer yet again.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

That is exactly what Mike Ruppert believes, and he definitely knows what he is talking about. When oil gets too expensive, and the economy goes into what is being called either the 'double dip recession' or 'the greatest depression', it may spell the end of our short lived society. A great change is on the horizon, but who knows how exactly it will pan out? Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Perhaps this is some kind of attempt to prepare the markets to lessen the shock of a nasty conflict in the Middle East?

i.e. Release this inflationary news item now, oil prices rise, war starts, immediately release deflationary news/assessment, prices eased?

That Middle East situation is getting very, very tense at present IMO, so it seems odd timing for the USA military to release such an assessment, given how likely it seems a conflict could be - 'imminent' - wasn't that the warning from the King of Jordan recently? So wouldn't you wait until you were past this kind of 'high-alert' phase before letting that kind of inflationary oil price news out?

Maybe it's even more complex - the $ is the default world oil currency right? So if your ($) currency was on the brink of collapse, perhaps you would choose to attempt to ramp up oil prices prior to something bigger and/or worse striking your economy, perhaps like a world market closing event? Something like a major altercation in the M.E, or major WMD strike on US soil? Another string of financial institution collapses? China unveiling a commitment to an unattractive aggressive economic policy, piling pressure on the dollar?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
peak oil is a myth......its a big scam so the oil companies of the world (OPEC) can make trillions of dollars off of us. there are trillions of gallons untapped but it easier to get it from the middle east and say there is a predicted shortage just like in the 70's when gas stations would run out and long lines to get it.

hey maybe Obama can pass a law that everybody gets some many free gallons of gas a week??

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Possibly. There is definitely a ramp up of tension in the middle east, although really that is nearly constant. Israel has a tendency to act like they are on the edge of going to war with someone or at peace and then they attack out of nowhere and it takes a while to figure out what happened. Thats what they did when they moved on Gaza a few years back. They have been preparing for war with Iran, and Lebanon, and possibly Egypt, while at the same time getting ready to deport palestinians. Could they be any more inflammatory? Of course, it looks like Russia and possibly China will back Iran so I hope we don't back Israel there.
It is all about the control of oil in the future. Russia and China need Iran and we need Israel and Iraq and Afghanistan as allies and as staging points for attacks in the event of war over oil. Every power worldwide is acting like peak oil is very real and very near if not already past.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

Yeah, because when oil prices got too high last time (>$4/gallon a few years ago and a shortage in the 80's) we had a deprssion. I must have slept through that one.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Longtimegone

The conditions now are different, although similar. Peak oil whistleblowers/ advocates (whatever term you prefer) have always talked about the 'bumpy plateau' which was mentioned in the documentary 'collapse' as how charts would look when oil supply would peak. That is how oil supply currently looks.
The price of gas was very high recently and in the 1980s but everyone paid it because they had too (obviously). It won't really crash everything until it goes through the roof (I'm talking at least >$5 a barrel, most likely higher) for a long period of time. When everyone can't pay their bills because they need more gas. Oil is also used in many products (plastics, rubber, etc.) which will compound the situation. We are still in the 'recession' and many experts predict a double-dip recession due to just market factors and the state of the economy. Gerald Celente predicted we would go into the 'greatest depression' ever over the next few years. It is easy to see that a further downward spiral of the economy combined with rising oil costs which lead to rising costs of many products as well as every industry that relies on gas to transport their products to market places, is not a positive scenario.
It could lead to the proverbial SHTF scenario, although that is probably still at least 5 years off most likely much longer IMO.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Peak Oil is a myth in the sense that it's inevitable. Check out Rense.com for interesting refutation of the peak oil theory. Russia has proved that there are immense deposits of oil at very deep levels. That's why Russia has managed to become an oil producing powerhouse. They've drilled over 300 ultra deep wells and proved that the oil near the surface, actually originated from lower down. Oil is not made from dead dinosaurs but rather from a chemical process deep in the Earth's crust. This seepage upwards explains why many old oil fields that were considered depleted, are now being found to be full of oil again. The myth of Peak Oil is a convenient excuse to limit drilling, thereby creating an artificial shortage that will drive up prices to the benefit of the major oil companies.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
dont me wrong i do agree that if or when we hit peak oil.....its going to bad ....real bad. the economy cant take high spike prices at the pump....it would defintely put us deeper in the recession we are already in. so with that said i dont think the TPTB will allow it because it would defintely hamper them getting votes. but i have noticed that the price is creeping up

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by crash override

The concept of peak oil couldn't be called a myth, unless you believe that we have a literally infinite supply of oil?

Peak oil is what makes a lot of other things make sense. Also, if it was a lie, why do so many whistleblowers and researchers say it is real? The governments and corporations of the world certainly act like it is real. Why else would oil/energy companies as well as governments be on board with the cap and trade program and climate legislation plans? Maybe its because they don't want developing markets farther compounding the situation by adding more demand, and if they can make oil more expensive they can slow down its consumption.
But eventually oil will be a luxury enjoyed only by the upper class of the world. That is when society will reorient itself and there will be massive unrest and chaos(probably wars), coupled with other factors such as the social unrest worldwide that is already brewing.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
How much oil is in the earth? How much metal is in the ground? How many diamonds are there in existence?

Certain people know (well they know more than we do, but don't completely know) and they control the media. There is so much oil in America alone it's unbelievable. Put a refinery in North Dakota and nationalize it. Produce gas/oil for the citizens of this country...the taxpayers. If any President proposed this and got far enough, he would have a "medical anomaly" that led to his death.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by ibiubu]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
People who are talking about the U.S. reserve oil fields need to take some things into consideration. First off, just because there's oil doesn't mean it's recoverable. We've got a lot of shale, but how energy efficient is it for us to process? There's also the environmental factor to take into account. Also, how long will it take to start mass production of these new operations?

We're tettering between a few axis right now. The global economy, the production of energy, and the environment. One of these will fall big time within the next decade or so. We're already seeing mass die-off from our interactions with the environment. It's not in our best mid-long term interest to just burn up all the oil which is anywhere at any cost/risk. A turndown will happen, and sooner than later.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Beancounter72

I read them. It makes that we would test what would happen in advance on small scales to see what will happen in the future. Also it is my belief that we are hoarding some stores of oil for the future so we can have an emergency supply for the future. It would be good strategy to let the world run dry and then bring your supply out when everyone is dying for oil and make a huge profit or just keep your country a superpower while letting others fall apart. No matter how bad things get TPTB will still want a relatively stable country to live in and control.

Later the article claims that peak oil will be used to control people but that does not make sense. Everyone is happier in good times and social unrest and every other form of dissent is marginalized if the economy is good and resources are plenty.
I'll link the main article on peak oil form Rense in case anyone here wants to look at it.
article

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

in economics, rising gas prices = better economy

"The recent increase in gasoline prices in the US, which jumped to above $3 a gallon in 2007 - gas was below $2 a gallon in 2005 - has helped reverse these trends.

US Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) data show a 4.3 percent fall in the miles logged by US drivers from March 2007 to March 2008. This figure had been rising sharply every year from 1983, when the FHWA began collecting such data, to 2007. Plus, sales of SUVs have plunged, while those of hybrid cars have risen dramatically."

only found a quick source, but its a textbook answer.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It's not often I see a Peak Oiler admit that cap and trade could be a sham to slow down consumption. Refreshing.

I'm really frustrated by the Peak Oil camp not following thru with their own basic assumptions:
1. They naively assume they are the only enlightened beings on the planet that know this "secret" knowledge. BULLS***. It ought to be obvious if the CIA, bankers, oil companies knew this IN THE 70's, they would have an f'ing plan for this scenario. Obama knows about PO, all the world leaders do.
2. A one world govt is THE LOGICAL conclusion to a world wide fascist domination. Businesses consolidate during recessions, depressions. Please don't tell me it's too much of an undertaking, humans can't accomplish something so monumental - BS. Corporations routinely accomplish staggeringly complex tasks in a relatively efficient manner every day.
3. And about Global Warming. Isn't it obvious they are just gilding a turd - "we're going to save the environment, so let's pass Cap and trade". They are going to pass off the decrease in living standards as people paying "taxes". Check out the lies of Raj Patel and his "we should pay what things really cost in terms of the environment". Pure and utter BS.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcrash
It's not often I see a Peak Oiler admit that cap and trade could be a sham to slow down consumption. Refreshing.

Cap and trade is just another exotic product that is sold by investment groups. It will be a replacement for all the toxic assets and BS derivative products sold on wall street because they have no credibility anymore. I also read an article recently that said about 90% of the trading done with carbon credits in Europe was fraudulent, according to Europol.

Response to your points:
1. I do not naively assume I know more than all governments, corporations, and intelligence agencies.
2. I would agree with this. It will be a one world government of the ultra-elite (bankers, nobility, and the largest corporation owners), probably fascist in how it operates the economy(corporations will run everything with the only objective being greater profit/control) but really it will be an oligarchy because IMO bankers really do run almost everything.
3. I agree completely that global warming is a huge lie. I think climategate and all the other (fill in blank)-gates proved that. Of course with the recent whitewash of the CRU it looks like we will have to endure another load of BS propaganda as they push for legislation.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tylermbell

Rising gas prices do not create a better economy unless you sell gas. How would a higher gas price benefit the average person? Maybe to a small degree but if you extrapolate then it falls apart...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tylermbell

70% of the u.s. economy is americans spending. so if they are spending extra in gas that means less for food and big lcd t.v's. so that fact is wrong.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
great change is coming and it lies just below the horizon.

my opinon: Embrace Anarchism

have a question?: www.infoshop.org...

See the Anarchist FAQ... learn, dont be ignorant...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join