It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Parties created as GOP political ploy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

The Tea Party has been billed as an organic grassroots operation, but a newly uncovered document obtained by Politico suggests the movement has been successfully co-opted as a Republican fundraising ploy.

GOP political consultant Joe Wierzbicki floated the proposal a year ago today to create the Tea Party Express, a nationwide bus tour to "give a boost to our PAC and position us as a growing force/leading force as the 2010 elections come into focus." His idea eventually became one of the best known brands in the Tea Party movement.

The document cautioned planners to be careful when discussing the ruse to use Tea Parties for political gain. "We have to be very, very careful about discussing amongst ourselves anyone we include 'outside of the family' because quite frankly, we are not only not part of the political establishment or conservative establishment, but we are also sadly not currently a part of the 'tea party' establishment," Wierzbicki wrote.

Wierzbicki, who works for the Sacramento firm Russo Marsh + Rogers, went on to outline how conservative media including Fox News could be leveraged to hype the Tea Party Express. He recommended using "mentions and possibly even promotion from conservative/pro-tea party bloggers, talk radio hosts, Fox News commentators, etc..."

Surprise, Surprise as Gomer used to say....

However there are some true grass roots TPM groups as I have covered them as a producer for my local cable channel. Basically they are older retired white people that use the TPM as a social function to get out of the retirement home and go to the park. Politics in general is an ersatz social/tribal entity to bond with likeminded people. A very natural occurrence in the human species.

Will it work as a political force? Time will tell.

I think the GOP was brilliant in starting the "Tea Party Express" but oh so stupid for not keeping their phony movement hidden.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I posted about it here yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by whaaa

I posted about it here yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry, BH