It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adelaide rocked by earth tremor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Adelaide rocked by earth tremor

www.theaustralia n.com.au

The tremor hit about 11.30pm, shaking multi-storey buildings in the city and felt from St Agnes to Mylor, from Munno Para to Largs Bay, AdelaideNow reports.

A police spokesman said there were several calls to triple zero around the time of the tremor, and the Bureau of Meteorology also fielded lots of inquiries.

"There were reports as far away as Monarto and Salisbury," a spokesman said.

Early reports from Twitter users said the quake happened at approximately 11.35pm CDT Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
theglobalherald.com
newsolio.com

[edit on 16/4/2010 by SilentShadow]

[edit on 16/4/2010 by SilentShadow]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yes this is an earthquake in a relatively stable area (geological). I thought is sounded a little odd until i found this video:

This person claims it was a meteor that cause the earthquake and he got a video of it.

I has only had a few views and there has not been enough time to confirm or debunk it but i thought i would bring this to the attention of ATS.

www.theaustralia n.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Nope thats def. the video from the meteor over midwesteren u.s. the other night as a matter of fact thats the police cruiser vid.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Glancing through the forums i think the poster has used this video:

I found it in this ATS thread:

Meteor/Fireball - Howard County Sheriff

Looks like i jumped the gun a little haha. But at least i had the best interests of ATS in heart haha.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Umm, that video was from an Iowa State Troopers dash cam.. in.. Iowa.. from I believe Wednesday 4/14/2010

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It was first reported as 3.2 on the richter scale, now it's been upgraded to 3.8 and is being called an earthquake.
Not sure what is classed as an earthquake, but damn that was one weird moment when it hit.

I didn't actually realise at first, then someone I was with said what was that, and I realised something had happened. Was like a rolling roaring sound that lasted for about 10 seconds.

It was felt all across the Adelaide metro area.
The Adelaide metro area spans just over 100km in a north-south direction.

There was an article around this time last year, saying that 2010 was the year that Adelaide would most likely get hit by a 6+ quake.
April 19 12.30am 2009, now on April 16 11.30pm 2010, we get a 3.8 quake.
Crazy coincidence.

I'm still a little freaked out, first time I've ever experienced a tremor.

I just remembered last night I was out on a metropolitan jetty at one of our beaches, and the tide was out...way out. We all noticed and commented how strange it was.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by BLV12]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There is a facebook group now with over 6,000 memebrs talkign about their experiences..

Do you think this was a quake? Or a preshock?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Oopsa a link to the FB group would be good Yzzy....

www.facebook.com...

It's not showing on the RSOE site at all....

[edit on 16-4-2010 by yzzyUK]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
USGS
On the USGS earthquake site, it says it was a 3.3 now. (they can't seem to make up their mind on the mag, huh?) The depth was 5.1 km.

[edit on 16/4/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The quake happened on rather shallow surface and would be a concern.

Spaceweather.com site has issued an aurora alert for the 17th April. Auroras are signs of geomagnetic storms. It came from the CME observed flaring from the sun on the 13th.

The solar protons travels much faster, usually within 15mins from the sun to reach Earth. China had an earthquake then.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

spaceweather.com...

This would probably be the last bit of the electrically charges pressure waves hitting our magnetosphere.

I would say you and I and others voluntarily and on their own free will and time to do some praying or meditation for Australia and other compromising geo fault lines. Praying and meditation causes no harm and cost no one anything....

Good Luck!

[edit on 16-4-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Earthquakes in Adelaide aren't unknown. There was a serious in in 1954 (which I'm pretty sure wasn't caused by HAARP
)

www.pir.sa.gov.au...

Also quakes there in 1897 and 1902

www.pir.sa.gov.au...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I don't even get out of bed for a 3.8'er - we get them here all the time.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

The most we get here in Adelaide are small tremors that can't be felt.
So a 3.8 that shakes our homes is something new for us.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but a workmate of mine saw a Large Blue Meteorite on Friday morning about 6.30am.

he told me it lit up the sky blue with a long tail.

oh, we are in new zealand.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
it got felt by some friends of mine up in the adelaide hills too (birdwood/gumeracha)...
-B.M

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Its interesting that if you look on Google Maps, Adelaide actually doesn't exist, they have all the suburbs and towns around it but not the name Adelaide anywhere, no matter how much you zoom in and out.

Never noticed before.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Felt the (minor) quake here at Golden Grove in the Adelaide Hills at 11:30pm local time and it lasted no more than 2 seconds..
News reports this morning classed it as a 3.8 magnitude.

There is a minor fault line running through the Adelaide Hills but essentially this is a very stable region. The last quake we had here was I believe approximately 20 years ago ... so quite unusual to experience one now.

Needless to say this emphasizes the point I have made in several of my threads that I believe the frequency of earthquakes is substantially on the increase in the last 50 or so years.

[edit on 16/4/10 by tauristercus]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12
There was an article around this time last year, saying that 2010 was the year that Adelaide would most likely get hit by a 6+ quake.

I heard a guest on the radio only 2 days ago saying how we are expected to get a 6.0 in the next 50 years. Somehow, I know he means sooner.

Originally posted by tauristercus
Felt the (minor) quake here at Golden Grove..

That's where I am too. I didn't feel it, but my wife, cat and dog did. My daughter was on Facebook and everyone suddenly started reporting it on there.

Funny how we get these cryptic warnings. Even Iran is warning it's people.

[edit on 16/4/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

Hi All, have to say I barely noticed it. I was watching Band of Brothers on the pc when it happened. I though it was one of my kids getting out of bed and hitting the wall until the window rattled. i live in the outer northern suburbs of adelaide. I think it was impressive how the news was on facebook and a group was formed before being reported by msm. I think the group appeared about 5 minutes after.
oz

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Hi Tauristercus & Nukepaul, we are neighbours. Oz

[edit on 16/4/10 by ozzieman]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join