It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Dollars Rejected in Denmark, where else?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This comment may not sit well with others but maybe its comeuppance for America's issue with other currencies? Haha...Sorry, its not cool to be stranded with no cash, and it sounds like he did try to exchange at a bank, but that's why you should always travel with travellers checks - keeps the currency in it's country of origin.

However, Americans are sticklers when it comes to currency in their own country. I bought a coffee just outside of the Canadian/American border and gave them American money for it, but one of my "dirty weird Canadian quarters" got in through the wallet shuffle and the look on the barista's face was priceless. You'd think I'd handed her a used condom or something. "Uhhh,..sorry but we don't accept Canadian money".

As a waitress though, I get so many American tourists paying for their meals with American money - and my boss hates it, but often its all the tourists have. It sucks though, because we will not value their currency as American, it goes into the system as Canadian- because its effing expensive to exchange. This makes them angry too. But I'm sorry, there is a smart way to travel (The world is not just America's backyard), and then there is the conceited "american" way that ends up giving Americans a bad reputation. (However, you guys do tip well!!)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Currently - to buy oil, gold or any other global commodity - according to Bretton-Woods is to use U.S. Dollars for these Commodities and use the exchanges to balance it out. by passing the Dollar and voiding Bretton-Woods is a major thing - that means the world is re-wiring it'self and that say's opportunity. if you can keep the water clear enough to see whats going on, we have a issue - issues are opportunities...

maybe the world go wise - or stupid - I dont know which yet.
after all we are the protector on the high seas. so, we guard commerce.
now if you dont want to pay one way - well there is always the other.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
money is money and US$ run the world finances... but you guys are giving more information, so I want to thank all of you. because it would appear - Europe is embrasing this change. - and Bretton-Woods is dead.
thats fine - but you do realize that China will be guarding the flow of commerce. and I dont think they will be as liberal as the US. when it comes to protecting commerce on the high seas. so, your ships will be under Chinese Control, I hope you speak Manderan. cuz, there is no way we can continue to afford this world wide police force - without your cooperation. and it would appear you guys are programmed that this is a good thing. I'm not so sure its good when you look 20 years out.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Where's the evidence that this event actually happened? He has video of California, but not Denmark. Could this possibly be another hoax?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Hey if it was my random shop, I'd change the dollar sign on the receipt to a euro sign and give you 1:1 smiling all the way and thanking you for your business!!

gj

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
If I went into some random shop in texas and pulled out EURO's to pay.. What exactly would happen?

They would ask you to spend it all or to change all your money to dollars.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I really cannot see why all the confusion. It is very simple. US dollars are, surprise surprise, American - use them in America. If I came to America and tried to use Sterling, euros, yen, AU$ or anything besides US dollars, I might POSSIBLY find one shop out of fifty which would accept the money. I cannot express how mind-numbingly arrogant - not to mention stupid - it is to expect to be able to spend dollars in any country. And it has nothing to do with the damn economy and whatever crap you're talking about (China's not going to take over the world because a shop in Denmark won't let you pay with dollars
). If someone came into my shop and tried to pay with anything but sterling or euros (and even those we accept grugingly, if they have no sterling) I will not accept it. Because - and this may come as a shock to you, so make sure you're sitting down - the US does not encompass the entire world. This is not America = we do not take American money. See? Simple.

If what someone said about the bank not taking it is right; I would not expect them to take it either. Banks here barely even have any euros - that is what exchange bureaus are for. If THEY wouldn't accept the dollars to exchange, then that's a bit much.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowArcher
I really cannot see why all the confusion. It is very simple. US dollars are, surprise surprise, American - use them in America. If I came to America and tried to use Sterling, euros, yen, AU$ or anything besides US dollars, I might POSSIBLY find one shop out of fifty which would accept the money. I cannot express how mind-numbingly arrogant - not to mention stupid - it is to expect to be able to spend dollars in any country. And it has nothing to do with the damn economy and whatever crap you're talking about (China's not going to take over the world because a shop in Denmark won't let you pay with dollars
). If someone came into my shop and tried to pay with anything but sterling or euros (and even those we accept grugingly, if they have no sterling) I will not accept it. Because - and this may come as a shock to you, so make sure you're sitting down - the US does not encompass the entire world. This is not America = we do not take American money. See? Simple.

I've often laughed to myself when reading scaremongering on these boards regarding one world currencies. The truth is, I doubt many Americans would actually care if the one world currency happened to be the American dollar. Similarly, look at the fear because of the uncertainty regarding the dollar's usage regarding 'reserve currency'.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
morons. what kind of prat goes on holiday without exchanging currency first?

American money is for america, im not gonna accept it either.

its worthless to us.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
money is money and US$ run the world finances... but you guys are giving more information, so I want to thank all of you. because it would appear - Europe is embrasing this change. - and Bretton-Woods is dead.
[edit on 16-4-2010 by Anti-Evil]

Yeah! most of the Bretton Wood Agreement is dead! but some parts were tranfered into the new:

BASEL 2 Currency agreement!

And maybe a new agreement could be the a new SDR currency basket with the Ruble and Yuan included?

Then the Dollar would share its 'world reserve' status with the rest of the main currencies in the SDR basket?

That would be a blast for the Dollar hegemony!

I wonder if we ever going to see sucha scenario? - we could need some diversity!

I would love to be a fly on the wall at these G20 meeting!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Currently - to buy oil, gold or any other global commodity - according to Bretton-Woods is to use U.S. Dollars for these Commodities and use the exchanges to balance it out.

well there are plenty of ways to buy oil gold or other global commodities with out using the dollar.

to name one , the "oli Bazar" in iran.

as for the OP i do belive the reason why they wont accpet dollars is because as far as i know most airports or what have you only trade in traveler checks or you use you creditcard or debit card to get money .,

now on the other hand if they realy tried to pay for something using dollars all i can say is darwin awards...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
It doesn't matter if the American dollar is the world reserve currency,

What exactly does this mean? The US Dollar is the world reserve currency?????

Also, I would like to add that I live in England and I have had Scottish notes refused aswell as English notes. Yes thats right, I was refused service with a £50 note.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I have traveled numerous places in the world.

In Europe ALL banks exchange dollars for the local currency.
The rates are posted.

In airports, where or if there are no banks, you would have
exchange booths that would also exchange about an
estimated 20 hard currencies into whichever one.

I would assume that in certain places - for lack of verification
machines - certain $ denominations are not accepted, because
there are lots of $ fakes (20, 50, 100 ?) in circulation, many
more than of the Euro.

Nobody can insist that his dollars be accepted in a shop, the
Euro being the only legal tender in 16 EU countries. In Denmark
it is the Danish krone.

But everybody, of course, is free to take in any currency
in a shop, if they are flexible and have some sense for profit.

They only need to inform themselves and have the exchange
rates to their advantage (small or big) ready rather than
letting a customer go without a purchase.

A few years ago I was annoyed, when they would not take
the Euro in Icelandic shops with no banks in the vicinity.
They were just stubborn. Coming off from a cruise ship you
would normally not change back and forth a hard currency
like the Euro into an only locally used money of a population
of about 300,000 that you would never come back to again.

You see now, what that kind of business has led to :
bankruptcy !

The Americans should in that respect also be much more
flexible and profit-oriented, rendering service at the same
time.

The rule with the relation hard versus soft currency used
to be that you best buy the foreign money at home.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
morons. what kind of prat goes on holiday without exchanging currency first?

American money is for america, im not gonna accept it either.

its worthless to us.

Who travels with cash anymore? Plastic is easy, just swipe the card or go to the nearest ATM if you need cash.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllseeingEYE

Originally posted by Chadwickus
It doesn't matter if the American dollar is the world reserve currency,

What exactly does this mean? The US Dollar is the world reserve currency?????

If you're not familiar with the world reserve currency, I'd suggest you read up on it as it's fairly integral to America moving centre stage post-WWII.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Ah, I dont want anyone to mis-understand me, I have traveled the world and have never experienced a country that my dollars were not good. my traveling days are global. they took place in the 80's and I must have visited at least 30 countries, probably more. and no time was my money rejected or worthless, just the opposite - everyone wanted dollars.

so this is very susrprising to me....

I kinda dare you to name up these 30 countries. I pretty much travelled around all EU countries before, and you can not even use the Deutsche Marks, Yens, Ponds and whatever else currencies to pay anything in Denmark anymore, let alone those Dollar notes.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by yiersan]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
In my part of the UK Scottish notes (although legal tender in the UK) are not accepted as they are seen so infrequently staff are not be able to tell a real one from a fake..

Just read this thread and felt I needed to comment on this. The scots pound is legal currency but not legal tender in the UK. Legal tender means that it MUST be accepted as payment, but legal currency may or may not be accepted, so it is completely legal to refuse it. The northern Ireland pound or the currencies of Guernsey or Jersey are also legal currencies, but not legal tender in the UK. Legal currency is only accepted in the UK, and will not be accepted as payment or exchanged outside of the UK. This is greatly simplified, but should clear up a thing or two.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by aaa2500]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join