It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Dollars Rejected in Denmark, where else?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

well this gives new meaning to Stranded in World Finances. American Dollars not acceptable in Denmark. Where else are Americans have a problem traveling due to - this currency rejection...

also, what do you suppose this means in Political and Financial worlds...?

and is there any recent historical parallel's we can check out..?

*US Embassies - about a year ago, exchanged large sums for local cash.
I wonder if they can go to the embassy for assistance?

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
This is a reply in the comments section of that video:

You didn't listen to Georges video, these Americans were trying to pay for things in Denmark with American dollars. It doesn't matter if the American dollar is the world reserve currency, it is not legal tender in Denmark. Try and buy somthing in middle Ammerica with Euro's, and you get the same result as those Americans got in Denmark. They should have converted $'s to Euro's before they left America. They only have themselves to blame

Saves me from saying the exact same thing.

[edit on 16/4/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

Never heard of anything like that before, is there a glut of US$ on the market so is not profitable for bureau de change right now? or is has Demark been subject to a lot of counterfeit $$?? either way it sounds rather worrisome to me..

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

From what I heard, they where trying to change $$ for DKK (Krone) at a bureau de change, not pay for things in a shop... aleast that was my understanding from listening to the Vid/call thingy

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

watch the video again, this is the Airport Currency Exchange. they are able to use VISA for purchases but not for cash at the ATMS. thats what I heard - and you made me listen to it again. sounds like something we need to watch for... if it grows or goes, would be a early indicator of massive problems because it is the worlds reserve currency and their desire to unload their holding - well it will always be worth something here in the US even if it is weighed in exchange. so, we are going to go boom zoom when Europe majority Refuses US Dollars and Repatriates them.
for materials and labor... running those numbers fits.... with what is going on, world computer software, assembly, resource transformers are all rising so the world is repatriating dollars at the moment. and if the currency is being rejected that means those countries are switching reserves. (fiat exchange reserves gives other fiat currency values)

and the reason you can not use EURO's is because of WHY>?
everywhere I have been on planet earth you have money changers - except for AMERICA, I have always said that was very bad since we are no longer have a gold and silver based currency - this was a massive NIXON scam. he is not a crook - but the USA stopped a run by closing its gold window at the treasury and Dollars where totally fiat after that before it was assumed America had unlimited Gold Reserves, which I think France Withdrew causing the action.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Um. Exchange dollars for Danish currency?

Not hard to comprehend.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
ALERT - GOLD ALERT - if dollars are being REJECTED large holders of $$ will move to tanigible value - like metals - so, if Gold starts moving again it will because of this me thinks... Am I right>? if I had a ton of YEN and saw the value of it going down and gold going up (inverse same thing), so, gold would be the default store of value right>? so, in to gold, spike, out of gold and the YEN buys the same as before the devaluation spike. understand>? its a hard concept to grasp.

ok, all of your debts are Fixed - ok, same amount month after month...
however, all of your ASSETS are varible - ok, they go up and down based on something they control called demand. so, it is a artifical system that for the most part most people dont understand - assets dont always go up.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I read somewhere that shops In some cities in the U.S had put signs up that they accept Euros and other currencies. I am telling you our fiat currency system is in its death throws, it's only a matter of time. Get prepared!

[edit on 16-4-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Ok re-watched the video, it does sound like he said an exchange.

My apologies.

I would hazard a guess there is more to this story than meets the eye, something the guy in Denmark failed to mention, because there would be hundreds if not thousands of people wanting to exchange USD there.

we'd be hearing a whole lot more about it if this were the case.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Just a heads up.. I think most Europeans use the term bureau de change (as we do in the UK) and the term seemed prevelent when I was in the ME.

So when I listened to the Vid I had to check what the equivalent term was for what they where describing in the vid to understand they were talking about what I would call a "bureau de change"

Perhaps that is why some are mistaking what they are saying in the Vid.. I had to listen to it twice to be sure..

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
your in the UK, can you snope around and report what you find out... I have cracked the stock market and I think there maybe a profit here.
how many countries are in Europe..?
and the current down ticks to the Euro exchange to the $$ is interesting as well, if Europe is rejecting dollars how come euro is declining against the $$. so, something is not right here and if we guess right - its worth big $$ because we are ahead of the action, OK.. UK~

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I would hazard a guess there is more to this story than meets the eye, something the guy in Denmark failed to mention, because there would be hundreds if not thousands of people wanting to exchange USD there.

we'd be hearing a whole lot more about it if this were the case.

I've got to admit that I do agree with you... tho some of the bureau de changes can be right "gits" never having enough of any one currency

In my part of the UK Scottish notes (although legal tender in the UK) are not accepted as they are seen so infrequently staff are not be able to tell a real one from a fake.. where as people will accept Euros as they can tell the difference between real and fake..

If I have seen one major issue with currency conversions it is always issues of fake vs real, so perhaps there is a glut of forgeries in Demark right now!

At least it is a heads up for me in any case as I'm off to Demark at the end of the month (if we can fly by then that is) so will get my DKK beforehand

Edit to add: I can't find any reports of excessive amounts of counterfeit USD in Demark so that blows that theory out of the water.

[edit on 16/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Members of my family trade on the currency markets, but they won't trade the stirling as there is no real profit to be made in it (from their eyes) it seems the Euro and Dollar are the places to make a bit of cash right now..

So perhaps they are placing limits on the amounts of US$ being held to ensure they don't lose out? not sure? but perhaps that is the root cause of the problem here...

I'm off to Copenhagen soon and will take a little stirling and see if they exchange that and will let you know how it goes

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Are you saying someone was arrogant enough to expect to pay for something in US$ in Denmark, or the exchange bureau wouldn't change it? If it's the former, then it's hardly surprising - you can't go to another country and expect them to accept your money. Most places in England won't accept bank notes from Northern Irish banks, despite the fact that it's sterling, no matter what bank it comes from. THAT is stupid.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
This is a reply in the comments section of that video:

You didn't listen to Georges video, these Americans were trying to pay for things in Denmark with American dollars. It doesn't matter if the American dollar is the world reserve currency, it is not legal tender in Denmark. Try and buy somthing in middle Ammerica with Euro's, and you get the same result as those Americans got in Denmark. They should have converted $'s to Euro's before they left America. They only have themselves to blame

Saves me from saying the exact same thing.

[edit on 16/4/10 by Chadwickus]

Well me to...I mean which level of inbreed do you have to have, when you think you can pay with dollars in euroland...should the Europeans fight for better education for the americans...

[edit on 16-4-2010 by OddTimeSignature]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OddTimeSignature

I'd have found it funny if they had converted to Euros to visit Copenhagen
I'm not sure if you can pay Euros for things in Demark without converting to the Danish Krone

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Ah, I dont want anyone to mis-understand me, I have traveled the world and have never experienced a country that my dollars were not good. my traveling days are global. they took place in the 80's and I must have visited at least 30 countries, probably more. and no time was my money rejected or worthless, just the opposite - everyone wanted dollars.

so this is very susrprising to me....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

What I find more interesting is that right now, in my part of England, shops will take Euros, Like any sensible person or business that is strapped for cash you welcome whatever you can get hold of..

So why would a business reject money, you might twist it to make the odds more in your favour, but you certainly don't reject it.. That is the real puzzle for me.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

If I went into some random shop in texas and pulled out EURO's to pay.. What exactly would happen?

And were any of these EU countries in the past decade?

Because from personal experience, we use EURO's.. not dollars in day to day life.. there are no business's around me that take Dollars..

Denmark uses Krone and accepts EURO's in many places but Dollars?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
Ah, I dont want anyone to mis-understand me, I have traveled the world and have never experienced a country that my dollars were not good. my traveling days are global. they took place in the 80's and I must have visited at least 30 countries, probably more. and no time was my money rejected or worthless, just the opposite - everyone wanted dollars.

so this is very susrprising to me....

Well, to be fair, 20-30 years is a long time for politics and economics as well as foreign policy. I'm surprised that you're surprised, to be honest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join