It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs bill extending unemployment benefits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Obama signs bill extending unemployment benefits

www.google.com

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has signed a bill extending unemployment benefits through June 2 and restoring full Medicaid payments to doctors.

The bill cleared both houses of Congress on Thursday night. The House passed the bill 289-112 just two hours after it emerged from the Senate on a 59-38 vote that capped an unusually partisan debate.

Republicans largely chose to take a stand against the legislation for adding to the $12.8 trillion national despite backing it by wide margins in December and again recently.

People who lost out on the additional weeks of benefits after ex
(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit, spelling in title

[edit on Fri Apr 16 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I am glad to see that they see just how important of a issue this is. Many people just let out a sigh of relief. This president does do good things and we should not overlook them just because of a political divide. This helps both Democrats and Republicans. I believe this is huge issue and we need to start to create jobs again and this should be the most important issue until it is resolved.

I hope they tackle this issue with the same resolve as the Unemployment benefits.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
u know why they are doing this dont u???

if they didn't
there would be millions
in the streets rioting cuz
they have no income.

So Obama goes into more debt
to keep the streets clear.

He is only prolonging
the inevitable ......
an economic collapse.

This is the same thing Bush did
in his last 2 yrs in office when he
was proclaiming there was no recession.
And he lied thru his teeth to keep from
being blamed for the economic downturn.

Sometimes, it's just best to go ahead
and let that cut bleed a lil to get the poison out
BEFORE you put the stitches in.

Sewing it up infected, only makes it worse.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

That is exactly why it is a good thing. Do we want our country to fall apart? I dont, and think the system is sound but needs to be used the way it was intended that is all. We can still vote and we are still free. Let us not forget this.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
ok, the fed passed the bull, the treasury now sends out money...
here in SC, the the state still has to ok the spending of the funds...

our governor, let the funds just dangle the last time congress sent unemployment money to the states, he didn't like the fact that the federals could tell him how & where to spend the money.

fewer and fewer people are getting the funds in this state... theres something like 3 or 4 tiers of unemployment & its creating a real boondoggle, for instance my daughter had exhausted her tier 2,
but my good friend is still collecting tier 3 and awaiting the monies from the bill that just passed to keep money coming until the 3 June exhaustion of all additional monies.

so, these stages of money terminations, was (i think) to spread out the misery over a period of time... instead of all million or so unemployed in SC getting dropped all at the same time ~~creating a riot situation~~

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I am sorry to hear that I hope this does not effect you personally. I still however think this is a good thing for many reasons. And it should be praised by both sides not picked apart by political shills.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Do we want our country to fall apart?

ST
what do u think a Revolution is ???
We have to start over.
it's the only way to recover and
to cleanse us from the tyranny.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

reply to post by St Udio

I am sorry to hear that I hope this does not effect you personally. I still however think this is a good thing for many reasons. And it should be praised by both sides not picked apart by political shills.

about the first part... yes it affects me, why just yesterday my daughter had to get $40. from me to keep the car insurance up-to-date,
or else the potential job at Sams Club would not even be possible.

as fa as this extension being 'good'... imho, it too little for too short a period,,, only 7 weeks....
i reckon the life planners in gov't think the May payments of $250. to those getting entitlements right, now will spring the economy into instant recovery... don't we just see the job growth growing by leaps and bound weekly? NO
all the money & energy went to protect the priveledged banker class & the derivative market...main street got the crumbs

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

ST
We have to start over.

We do not need to start over we need to remember who we are and until then it does not matter anyways. If we start over everything our founding fathers did was a waste. I have to much respect for this great nation and them to just give up on it.

We need to educate this is the key. But I do think we should try and stick to the topic or the OP might get upset.

We both love this country we just have different ideas on how to fix it. I wish you would see it my way more.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well, I bet a huge amount of people just took a huge sigh of relief. I am so lucky that I have no been affected by the economy up to this point but I think we all think about these people everyday. There go I but for the grace of God right.

Im so relieved these people got a much needed , and in my opinion deserved, extension.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Well yes it is a good thing for now for the reasons you mention but it will only prolong the inevitable, you can't keep people on unemployment indefinitely. So what are they going to do in June extend it again?

Jobs will not be coming back until you stop taxing and regulating people to death and stop stealing their money and putting them in mountains of debt they can never pay. Any jobs they create will be government make work jobs not much different the unemployment.

The currency is collapsing, this depression is contrived just like the 1933 one. It is a taking of wealth by the international banksters who own this country and our monetary system. There will not be enough jobs created to recover. Learn to be self sufficient start practising now. it will be a necessity soon. Get some food storage and some guns and ammo and if you can some gold or at least silver.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Well yes it is a good thing for now for the reasons you mention but it will only prolong the inevitable, you can't keep people on unemployment indefinitely. So what are they going to do in June extend it again?

The currency is collapsing, this depression is contrived just like the 1933 one.

They will extend it in June, dont forget we have elections coming, it's all PR and gathering the vote with promises, and we should be entering another flu season around that time as well.
It's shaping up to be a very harsh winter already.
Like you stated..........prepare!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

how do get that it is shaping up to be harsh winter next season its spring. you have some inside info we should know about? or are you readin the farmers almanac.
just trying to understand your logic here?

to the OP and on topic , I think they should atleast keep extending until the job market recovers but not indefinitely .

[edit on 16-4-2010 by paradiselost333]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

reply to post by St Udio

Man I am rather taken back by your feelings here. You more often than not a rubber to the road guy.

What is happening here is that there are more breaks in place these days that allows a slow decent rather than a crash. But it is going to land some time soon to its bottom.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
How many weeks do people need to be on unemployment? Let's stop calling it unemployment after a year. Then it's income being paid for doing nothing. I'm sorry for sounding so harsh but my God there are jobs available but you might have to actually MOVE and in some cases for the short term take a lesser job than what you previously had.

End of rant.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Too bad. They caused the problem in the first place, why should we suffer?

Keep that money flowing and take it from the wars, etc.

I am anticipating my check so i can buy my MEDICINES. Isnt that wonderful!!!!

S&F

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

ST
We have to start over.

We do not need to start over we need to remember who we are and until then it does not matter anyways. If we start over everything our founding fathers did was a waste. I have to much respect for this great nation and them to just give up on it.

We need to educate this is the key. But I do think we should try and stick to the topic or the OP might get upset.

We both love this country we just have different ideas on how to fix it. I wish you would see it my way more.

Well its a bit late now but some have tried to warn us about bringing a nation into bondage by way of debt. Men at the beginning up to JFK warning us.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

I did not have an easy time finding a job in Louisiana after Katrina. As a matter of fact, I still have not found a job. My husband is very ill, and in order to find a decent job, I moved to Illinois, where in a 2 month period I was offered 3 part time jobs, at a wage less than what I used to earn.

Yes, jobs are out there. I sat down and figured out how much it would COST ME to take one of the part time jobs. No joke, between gas for the car, clothing suitable for the job, lunches, etc.....It would actually COST ME money if I took one of the part time jobs.

I never went on unemployment after Katrina washed away the business where I used to work. I was married, and my husband did not want me to.

Quite possibly, you live in an area where jobs could be had, that would afford people a decent living wage.

But, get off your high horse, unless you have been able to tour the country and find out what the sitiation is like. It is not as easy as you make it sound!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
If the US Government was any count, we would have no need for UEI extensions.

This is a band aid.

But I would rather our citizens get this money than corporate america or the war machine.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I'm scratching my head here..

I see both sides of the spectrum here.

On one side people are having a hard time getting a job. Yet taking over a year to find a job that PAYS more then unemployment, is hard for me to swallow.

Even being a unskilled laborer, you can find a job digging a ditch, mowing grass or flipping burgers.

Not sure if i really understand the timeline, BUT I understand both sides, not all people can sell themselves in a interview to get a job i suppose. Yet I would expect as long as people are on unemployment, they are reporting to some government office showing PROOF, they trying to find a job.. Kinda hard to beleive people cannot find a job that pays more then unemployment benefits for over a year..

Unless they are getting a EBT card as well..

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Bicent76]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join