It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL STORY of Health Care Reform. "Obama's Deal." ABSOLUTE MUST WATCH!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
FRONTLINE: Obama's Deal.

This goes through the entire process, from the beginnings, on how HCR was passed...through all the deals, pandering, and especially through the spin. Lobbyist are interviewed, politicians are interviewed, everything explained in detail.

Some unbelievable things in this doc that I did not know:

The lobbyist for the health insurance industry would only support HCR if their was A MANDATE REQUIRING ALL PEOPLE TO BUY HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's ABSOLUTELY TRUE...right out of the LOBBYISTS MOUTH. Originally, Obama took the deal...but later angered the health insurance industry and they started to go after him...which explains why Obama started to attack the insurance industry afterwards.

He also took the deal with Big Pharma because the money they had to pull out a nasty ad campaign could have killed HCR all together. The lobbyist who cut the deal WAS THE SAME MAN WHO HELPED GET PRESCRIPTION DRUGS PASSED UNDER BUSH!!!!!!!!!!! (which made them BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars!!!!)

Please watch this absolutely amazing documentary that was just released 2 days ago. It's a full hour long...uninterrupted...and completely UNBIASED in my opinion.

It really confirms what I've been saying all along. Obama cut deals with the health industry as it's the only way he could get any type of HCR.

PLEASE WATCH THIS!!! Cut through all of the BS...the spin on both sides...the left and the right.
You can watch the entire documentary here with no interruptions. It is one hour long.
www.pbs.org...

THESE ARE THE FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE watch this!!!!!

[edit on 16-4-2010 by David9176]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Frontline is an absolutely awesome program. They try to stay as objective as humanly possible within the parameters of the media machine but they do push the limits.

Another great program I used to love to watch before I tossed my TV out the window a long time ago was "Charlie Rose" on PBS, the people this guy would talk to and the way he would interview them was wonderful and tremendously educational. I so wish they had his show online too.

I have not seen this Frontline show yet but I'm sure this might turn out to be a big thread, because they are very informative.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Here is an actual description of the video. All the players are named in the documentary...the lobbyists and main politicians involved throughout the ENTIRE process.

Here is a description of the documentary that comes from the link posted above.

On March 23, 2010, after a bruising year of debate, negotiation and backlash, President Barack Obama finally signed the health reform bill that he had promised more than a year before.

But at what cost to his popularity and to the ideals of bipartisanship and open government that he'd campaigned on? In Obama's Deal, veteran FRONTLINE producer Michael Kirk (Bush's War, Dreams of Obama) takes viewers behind the headlines to reveal the political maneuvering behind Barack Obama's effort to remake the American health system and transform the way Washington works.

Through interviews with administration officials, senators and Washington lobbyists, Obama's Deal reveals the dramatic details of how an idealistic president pursued the health care fight -- despite the warnings of many of his closest advisers -- and how he ended up making deals with many of the powerful special interests he had campaigned against. "The stakes couldn't be much higher," former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) tells FRONTLINE about what was involved in the landmark health care legislation.

"We're talking about almost 20 percent of our gross domestic product today, $2.5 trillion. Literally tens, hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on lobbying. Every special interest has their oar in the water."

To navigate the process of health reform, President Obama turned to his chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, a consummate deal maker, who helped stock the West Wing with an all-star lineup of congressional insiders. But almost immediately, a key member of the team was forced to step down, and the country's greatest champion of health reform, Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.), was sidelined with incurable brain cancer.

The administration's hopes for reform rested with Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), the powerful head of the Senate Finance Committee, who also happened to be one of the Senate's top recipients of special interest money from the health care industry. The White House encouraged Baucus to quietly negotiate deals with the insurance lobby, drug companies and other special interest groups, despite promises to run a different kind of White House.

"The president said that having people at the table is better than having them throw stuff at the table," White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer tells FRONTLINE. But the deals were often controversial. FRONTLINE investigates how, near the start of the health care reform process, Baucus and the White House negotiated a secret $80 billion deal with Billy Tauzin, the former Louisiana congressman who had become the pharmaceutical industry's top lobbyist.

"People who thought that the pharmaceutical industry was still reaping profits that were excessive were unhappy with that deal and were particularly unhappy that it got cut behind closed doors," says the co-chair of Obama's transition team, John Podesta. The pact with Tauzin was only the beginning of a series of deals designed to win over potential opponents.

The most notorious agreement, known as the "Cornhusker Kickback," was concluded only days before a vote on the health care bill in the Senate. In exchange for the support of Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), the White House and Senate leaders agreed to spend $100 million to benefit Nebraska. The administration argued the deals were necessary to secure health reform. But the deals backfired. "It's not a pretty process," says David Gergen, who's been an adviser to four different presidents, both Republican and Democratic, over the last several decades.

"There is deal making -- that's the way it's been done for a long time. But those deals done in your front parlor can be pretty smelly. The public was already up to here with what they were seeing in Washington, and I think it just put them over the side." The backlash grew across the country. The president's approval ratings sunk, the Democrats lost control of Ted Kennedy's Senate seat, and the push for health care reform was suddenly in peril.

"The grassroots of America had turned against this," Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) tells FRONTLINE. "Health care was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back." At the White House, the president was forced to come to terms with what looked to be his most significant failure as president, before a last push this winter -- and a last round of high-stakes, round-the-clock deal making -- finally pushed the bill through. "The process was messy, and so it turned people off," says Communications Director Pfeiffer.

"It ended up being behind closed doors. It was filled with partisan wrangling, people yelling at each other across the table. We ended up having a process that represented a lot of what the American people hated about Washington." "There is a realism that it has come with a cost," veteran Washington Post reporter Dan Balz observes. "We don't know what's going to happen in the November elections. We don't know what's going to happen in 2012. But there's no question that this health care battle has put his party at risk. And how they deal with that is the next chapter. But this was a historic moment."

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
These are the people that really run our country. The ones with the money.

These people are the reason we are the last developed nation on the face of the Earth that cannot provide basic health insurance to its citizens.

I will definitely be giving this a watch tomorrow, it seems like a really important piece of media (anything exposing the twisted lobbyist system is), but unfortunately I don't have an hour to spare at the moment.

Thanks for the link, though. More people need to see this. More people need to realize this sort of thing is going on.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Awsome post. Bill Moyer's Journal did a great one on the healthcare system about a year ago or so....Eye opening and utterly disgusting how our country works. We are the only country in the world with a health care system that is profit-driven. There were many doctors interviewed that clearly admitted to giving patients unecessary health tests and checkups and drugs just to make as much profit for themselves and the industry as possible. Makes me sick. Great post, and i'll be watching the vid. very soon. Thanks!!! S&F

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

It's an unbelievable documentary. Everything is explained in detail. All the deals, lobbyists, just all of it. Quite frankly the people who put this together should win some awards!!!

Absolutely amazing. It really is. There is no Beck, Limbaugh, Olbermann, or any other talking head spin.

This is the real deal.

reply to post by drwizardphd

I wholeheartedly agree. It's the massive corporations that hold such incredible power that is effectively destroying and hurting not only our government, but how it works for us. THIS IS WHY GOVERNMENT IS CORRUPT.

You'll love this wizard. No BS. This is how Washington works. I think some will be blown away. Don't miss it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Frontline has all their documentaries on their web page with dates going way back. I would suggest that if you guys have not seen them to make sure and have a look at all their docs, they are great.

Oh and if anyone has a link to the Charlie Rose show please link that up too!

I'm downloading this one now.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Oh absolutely, this is definitely quality media, and it's totally sponsored by TPTB believe it or not. It's just that TPTB know full well that the majority of the surf population have absolutely no interest in staying informed so why not.

But to be honest there are some really, really rich and influential people up at the top who do try to give quality education to the Masses. TPTB are not all bad guys, some truly are trying to give a helping hand.

But alas most people are more willing to tune into a bunch of goof balls like Rush and the rest of the Jerry Springer equivalent to News than the quality stuff that is free and readily available for public use.

Seriously man if you get the chance and want a truly objective level headed talk show look into the Charlie Rose show. You will never, ever be able to tune into a standard Fox or MSNBC News/Talk Show again. You will truly see the difference and the power your own stupidity has over you. I'm speaking in general of course.

Sorry I can't be completely on topic because I have not watched the doc yet but I'll be back.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

But alas most people are more willing to tune into a bunch of goof balls like Rush and the rest of the Jerry Springer equivalent to News than the quality stuff that is free and readily available for public use.

I agree. The corporate news isn't really news. You'd never see something like this played on Fox or MSNBC. (I used to be an avid Fox News watcher as many on ATS are) Just cold line facts without the partisan spin. This may not be what people want to see or hear...but it's good.

Why no public option in HCR? The insurance companies were STRONGLY against it...they'd rather people be forced to buy insurance from them...ALL people. Obama doesn't have the power that people seem to think he has.

I had made threads proving that Dems were being lobbied by Big Pharma and the health insurance industry ...I also made another when Obama originally had cut the deals with both. Couldn't get many to look at those threads though.

This doc confirms it all though.

I hope this thread doesn't slip into the nether and people watch it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I caught this when it aired the other day on PBS. I was actually surprised, because it pretty much confirmed what I was watching unfold during the whole process.

How anyone, who was paying attention, failed to see what was going on escapes me. The blatant buy-offs, right out in the open, to get the last few votes has to be the most disgusting display I've ever seen of how little you and I really mean to these people.

Scream all you want about how you think I'm inhuman, and that I don't wish everyone had access to affordable health-care. You'd be making a seriously selfish and ignorant assumption if you do. I'm pissed about this, and I'm sure a lot of others are too. Even more so when people start waking up to what really happened.

While everyone was busy getting their jabs in, only paying attention to their end of the idiotic partisan food-fight, the party of "O" sold us all out, but hey, they got to laugh and point their fingers at the party of "No".

The cost of this thing to the American people is beyond comprehension, and the powerful insurance companies are euphorically fondling themselves, laughing hysterically at us all.

Bubble after bubble, the rich keep getting richer as we suffer more and more.

Venting doesn't help much in the face of such an overwhelming feeling of helplessness to get people what they need without these scumbags wringing every penny they can out of us.

Thanks for posting this David, if even one person wipes the fog away, I guess it's better than none.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join