It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Suspected In Blast That Sank Warship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

North Korea Suspected In Blast That Sank Warship

www.alertnet.org

SEOUL, April 16 (Reuters) - The likelihood North Korea sank a South Korean naval ship near their disputed border rose when Seoul said on Friday an external explosion probably caused the ship to split in two, killing dozens.

South Korea's defence minister said this month the 1,200-tonne Cheonan may have been hit by a torpedo, immediately putting suspicion on North Korea and stoking concerns that the incident could start a conflict on the long divided peninsula.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
From the day one accuses towards Nort Korea have been there - Right after the explosion there was gun fire... But South Korea knew what was going to happen, if they would blame NK about this.

NK involvement was played down, maybe it was something else... Or then they knew this from the beginning, but they have played time what is running out now.

War - South Korea didnt want it - can they still avoid that?

Sinking Navy ship is something you can not just let be, or forget. 46 dead sailors are asking the question day and nights, "what are SK government doing about it?"

Its Reuters guys, we can say NK is suspected now officially - get ready for fast escalation also in Korean front!

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Hello again!

No they don't want it...

South Korea restraint after ship sinking adds to clamor for government action

Some observers say officials have avoided pointing a finger at the North for good reason: To do so would call for a decisive military response that the South is not prepared to carry out.

Analysts say South Korea risks provoking a war that would devastate its economy, scare off foreign investors and place Seoul, the capital, under threat from North Korea's arsenal of short-range missiles.

"The South Korean government knows exactly what it can do about this situation, and that is nothing. It cannot start a war," said Andrei Lankov, a history professor at Kookmin University in Seoul.

We'll see about that... South Korea might not want war but the nuts running the US and much of Europe might.

What I would like to see is China going in North Korea and annex it.

What it would do : solve the North Korean problem. Test chinese ``modern``army.. so we can see what it is capable of. Don't destroy South Korea. Put a wedge between China and Russia...

The only thing is that South Korea would probably be scared as hell and would probably ask to be allowed to develop nukes.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I really have to applaud South Korea for taking the time to find out what actually happened in a scientific and forensic manner.

If only other countries could follow this example and employ this sort of investigation in attacks on their countries.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think they knew this from the beginning but I do think they're afraid to come out and say it because they'll have to respond. If they don't it will make them look weak and give N Korea the go a. to do whatever they want with them. Tough situation, I hope they're able to stand up for themselves.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Yeah but who fired the torpedo? I'm sure there's more than few nations / factions who would love to see North and South Korea to duke it out.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I'd have taken those commies dangle berries straight to the nuttery if i was SK. They should have acted straight away.
It's not like they didn't have a crap load of US back up at the time!

NK clearly wants a war....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spear.

The eternal question : what do you do about the thousands of artillery pieces on the border able to destroy Seoul in an hour?

And you can't say ``wipe them out``... they are deep in the mountains... and they could put chemical and or biological shells on those...

Unless South Korea creates some kind of energic field that can stop those shells, or somehow China allows an invasion of North Korea by NATO forces from the north, a war won't be started by South Korea.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I wonder what the north would do if the south started evacuating everyone out of Seoul. The north needs a good punch in the face for sure.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

Yeah South Korea could do that... and destroy their economy... and possibly doing it for nothing since North Korea would see that as a big red flag for war and would preemptively attack South Korea...

I think it would almost be impossible to do it by stealth with all the north korean double agents living in South Korea...

UPDATE: Just found this ...

China has contingency plans to dispatch troops into North Korea and secure nuclear weapons in the event of instability in the hardline communist state, according to US experts who have talked to Chinese military researchers.

So hopefully this is real and as soon as that piece of garbage Kim Jong Il dies, China goes in.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Sure looks like that we are going to get dangerous wars in many fronts soon!

Long days and nights a. in Pentagon and White House, while trying to maintain superiority in all fronts at same time. Dealing with growing ME crisis and Korea will stretch capability of USA to its limits.

Russia is making moves in Caucasus and ME theater and China will be involved in Korea - What about Taiwan then? Afghanistan is making casualties day after another and Iraq is still confused from elections, continuing secreterian violence.

Obamas government members wont see their families in coming weeks, I think.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by spear.
I'd have taken those commies dangle berries straight to the nuttery if i was SK. They should have acted straight away.

I feel their restraint and this investigation has added significant legitimacy to their cause. If they can recover the torpedo or evidence of where it was made, if infact it was a torpedo there will be clear evidence of an attack and they will have honest support from the international community.

If they'd simply started shooting people probably wouldn't have believed it was North Korea. At the time it happened half the people on the boards suspected a false flag.

This way if they have solid proof they can take their case to the international community.

This might be a good justification for more sanctions against North Korea.

But regardless I have nothing but praise for their restraint and this investigation.

Openness and transparency is always welcome.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

I agree. In this situation we really have seen how acts a country - which really hopes the best and tries to avoid the war... I think there is no people outside North Korea (maybe in China) who is not supporting South Korea in this conflict.

They have done well - If they cant avoid the war now - They will have very huge support to their side because of their own attitude and calm response.

It will be very difficult to stay neutral in this conflict.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

NK has made preparations for 55 yrs to next conflict with SK. Learned by war in Vietnam, I think they can move divisions of soldiers in under ground tunnels, never coming above the ground.

Next war will be a mess, just terrible mess.

BTW, I just saw TV comercial about Korean KIA cars, and how they offer now 7yrs guarantee for it... Really?

I think - if you have KIA - go sell it now, not tomorow.

World economy will have awful strike because of this - will it hold this impact?

[edit on 16-4-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

BTW, I just saw TV comercial about Korean KIA cars, and how they offer now 7yrs guarantee for it... Really?

I think - if you have KIA - go sell it now, not tomorow.

For real? I have a KIA... and I just got it!

It was a cheap car...
I'm still keeping it!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

- What coincidense!

At least you should buy some spare parts to warehouse... It will take some time to move KIA factories to some other country, if the war breaks out.

I think South Korea will not act now - no matter what North Korea did or does. Their economy is just too big to fail - but it can happen - and North Korea attacks them anyway again, no matter if South Korea wants it or not.

After these reports South Korea have to react with their army by lifting their readiness, and it can be enough for NK, and they will make pre-emptive strikes witch then will escalate.

Its very interesting to see what is the impact from todays news to economy - gladly is friday for them... I think timing for announce this news is not coincidense - its almost closing time in asian markets, and SK have weekend in . of them to play down possibility from their violent counter actions or plans.

Monday will be crucial also in Wall Street, Singapore and Nikkei markets because of this threat rising.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I've seen other sources that said a 50 year old sea mine sank the SK ship, but 46 dead SK sailors are not worth potentially millions of lives

Forget about losing face... more lost lives are not worth it. Move on, nothing to see here, folks, forget it. Move along.

If the SK ship was in North Korean waters then well, a torpedoing was to be expected.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Well all asian markets are down... because of the ``North Korea sank our warship`` news...

So investors think a war is possible..

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
it certainly feels like the peices are being moved around the chess board as this game is played out..

The problem I have with these games, is that it is our lives they are playing with

I'm glad to see restraint, but I really feel that is that is simply another move in the game.

Getting the public (us) on board for the next war is the real challenge the hawks in the establishment face right now..

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Explosion will leave marks from what kind of explosives was used - Laboratory testings will show those marks as facts in days - so South Korea soon will know that. Sea mines uses surely very different kind of explosives than any torpedo.

- Its then different if testing results will be told to public.

If it was old mine, ok - and lets move on - but if it was not, and South Korea knows that as a fact, they will have to lift their alert level. All actions will be monitored from North Korea and those are very easy to see as hostile.

- Situation stays very tense and it really doesnt need much to escalate further.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join