It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go: External explosion sank S.Korean ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

SEOUL, South Korea—An external explosion most likely sank a South Korean navy ship that split apart three weeks ago, an investigator said Friday, amid concerns about possible North Korea involvement in the disaster.

A team of 38 investigators, including U.S. navy officials, conducted a preliminary investigation of the ship's stern after lifting it out of the water.

"There is a high possibility of an external explosion rather than an internal explosion," chief investigator Yoon Duk-yong told reporters Friday. He said further analysis is needed to determine the exact cause of the blast, after salvaging the ship's other wreckage.

www.orovillemr.com...

Just because it was probably an external explosion doesn't mean N. Korea was directly involved. There have been reports there are still mines left over from the 50's during the height of the Korean war.

If the North was directly involved, this wouldn't be good....

[edit on 15-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I think Lil' Kim is crazy enough that was he responsible he wouldn't have any trouble telling anybody who would listen that it was N. Korea that sank it. It was near disputed waters when it occurred was it not?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If it was NK, it was just a mine in the water.

Doesn't mean they shot at the vessel or anything, just means SK didn't see it coming.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

An "external explosion" probably sank the South Korean naval vessel which went down near North Korean waters last month, an investigator says

news.bbc.co.uk...

BUT READ THIS........

Bubble Jet from Torpedo 'Likely' Cause of Shipwreck .

After an initial examination of the stern of the Navy corvette Cheonan on Thursday, the military tentatively concluded that the corvette had not been hit directly by a torpedo but broke in two due to a bubble jet created by an underwater explosion. The stern was raised 20 days after the corvette sank in the West Sea on March 26.

In an initial examination of the Cheonan's stern, South Korean and U.S. investigators found no traces showing that the hull had been hit directly by a torpedo," a senior source at the Defense Ministry said. "Instead, they found traces proving that a powerful explosion caused possibly by a torpedo had occurred underwater. The explosion created a bubble jet that eventually generated an enormous shock wave and caused the ship to break in two.

english.chosun.com...

This is from a Korean source.

Doesnt sound too good if this is true. My own feeling is that they already know the North was involved.

Next move..South Korea.

g

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It's interesting they say its a bubble jet from a torpedo because i've been searching information on 'bubble jet' and most of the information points to naval mines and not 'torpedos'

Bubble jet effect.

If the mine detonates in the water some distance from the ship, the bubble jet effect happens. The explosion creates a "hole" in the water, and due to the difference in pressure, this sphere will collapse from the bottom. This creates the famous "pillar" of water that can go well over a hundred meters into the air.
The damage to the ship is heavy. The water breaks a meter wide hole straight through the ship, flooding one or more compartments. The structural damage might break the ship apart. The crew in the areas hit by the water pillar are usually killed instantly. Other damage is usually limited

en.allexperts.com...

I guess depending on the type of torpedo fired, a similar effect could occur.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yeah. Either way it is starting to look like this wasn't something along the lines of an engine explosion.

It could well be a mine that was left over from the Korean War. Guess we will have to wait another few days and see how this develops.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Oh, I think I see what they mean. It could have been a torpedo, but one that was made to not hit directly and penetrate, but to explode outside of the ship. If that's the case, it could be the North specifically used this type of torpedo to make it look like a bubble jet from a mine.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
So either a mine or a torpedo exploding before impact.

Can old mines simply float to the surface and explode without warning, or does this require man's intervention?

The torpedo assertion definitely requires another ship or sub to fire it, and I wonder why that one source is pushing that idea more than the mine...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

The method of action for mines is one of the main reasons there is always a lot of negativity over their use. Mines can remain active for a hundred years, or longer.
And they require no human interaction after being placed. So a mine placed 50 years ago can still be just laying in wait for any unsuspecting ships in that area.

International law requires countries who plant mine to say they have and where they have, but they don't have to be specific at all. But of course, we all follow international law...don't we.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
speaking of submarines, did anyone know Israel has a sub fleet?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
With the bubble jet effect that means it was a bottom type mine.
A mine placed in the 1950s BS would not work at this late date.
The batteries would have long ago died for a magnetic type bottom mine.

Yes it could have been a 1950s mine from a north Korean stockpile that they put new batteries in and planted a few months ago.
Likely it was getting unstable anyway you can only store explosives so long.

What better way to make it look like a accident then for north Korea to use a old 1950s mine.

They need to get some minehunters out there and look for more before there is another found the hard way.

Yes i know about sea mines a spent 4 years as a NAVY mine-sweep electrician.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by ANNED]

new topics

top topics

join