It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama orders same-sex hospital visits

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Speaking as a heterosexual with no particular axe to grind, I find it apalling that a country such as the USA is so socially retarded. However, this is a step forward.

Many people in Europe are totally baffled by the Vatican's latest claims that homosexuality is to blame for historic abuse in the Catholic community - and we could not understand how anyone would believe such a lame excuse.

Learning of how the US currently views and treats its gay citizens makes me wonder if their pathetic plea did not entirely fall on deaf ears.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Adamus]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
To qualify my statements, I used to do security at a hospital and also rewrote various emergency policy and procedures for different events. Such as fire, child abduction, bomb threat, etc.

Okay, Power of Attorney is a legal form. Any one could already give POA to anyone: neighbor down the street, bum you met last week outside a movie theater. The only legal challenge to a POA form is: was the people in their right mind when they signed it? So Obama hasn't really done anything new here except reenforce it.

Visitation is always at the discretion of the hospital. There are times that family are not allowed. It is best to always remember that sometime non-medical personnel are in the way. That visitors to one patient can be a disruption to the medical car of another patient. This goes double in an emergency situation, and can happen often in an ER.

There were times that I had to approach visitors and remove them with minimal notification as to why. I always had the fall back of explaining that the only people required to be in a hospital were the patients and the medical staff. I always assured them on my word that I would bring them back in as soon as possible. Most people could be reasonable about it. Some were not. In the end, I always gave them the final option of removal by me or removal by a police officer. And reminded them that I could let them back in when they could, but a police office may have other ideas of where they will spend their time.

Thanks Obama, you have just signed a blank check for trouble and potential lawsuits that would have been pointless and dismissed in the past. Then again, maybe not. I guess I can sum it up by what one woman once screamed at me:

"You are removing me because I am (blank)ing gay!" In the same volume I responded, "I am removing you because you are in the (blank)ing way!" "Oh...yeah." she calmly replied when she saw the doctor and nurses buzzing around pushing equipment and franticly working on her lover that was crashing.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well, that only makes sense. Couples regardless of sexuality, should be allowed access to their significant others.

My only question....was this voted on, or a " I hereby bulldoze this into being..." type resolution? Guess ill read the article now....lol! Ok, that's not funny...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Eye of Horus

Back in the 90's I buried 20 gay friends and none of the hospitals would let me in to be with them while they lay on there death beds. Its a terrible thing to die alone. I'm surprised folks didn't know about this kind of thing all these years.
Am glad the new law will make it better, wish it was back in the 90's. Alot of folks won't have to go through dying alone now.

That is truly tragic. Nobody should pass from this world alone because of another's belief system. Hopefully it will never happen again in the US.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RadicalGnostic

Marriage seems to be the great ender of relationships, with about 50% divorce rate (I've heard).

I couldn't let this pass...

How many unmarried relationships break up, as a percentage of their total?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Back to the OP, I think this is an excellent first step. It's a benefit for the patient in a hospital or hospice, regardless of their sexual orientation.

LONG overdue. I read the whole thread, and still can't fathom why anyone would be against this measure. Good move, President Obama. Thank you for giving me a reason to not be aggrivated with you this week. I hope that's the beginning of a trend.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm not a big "minority" rights individual. I dont believe in "some animals are more equal than others"(animal farm).

This should have been kosher WAY back. I dont believe in "legal" gay marriage but I have no problem with legal unions. I cant be for that if they cant even see each other if they are sick, injured, or dying.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away
I just read this article, and please excuse my ignorance, not having been through anything as heart wrenching as having to deal with a loved one in hospital and being heterosexual, I was shocked to learn that this could even happen. That potentially, if I was homosexual, my loved ones could be refused to visit with me, or I with them. That is shocking.

This is a step of compassion, and love.

It is shocking isn't it.. and when you consider someone who is sick and dying because of an aids related illness, theres a chance they might not have good relations with their family because of their lifestyle. So possibly the only person that loves them is not allowed in to see them, even a partner of 30 years. and the people they want to see the least i.e. family that might not care, are the only ones allowed in. what a nightmare!

i think in the past, at least in Australia, Gay rights campaigners have been guilty of lobbying for full marriage rights and walking away with nothing when if they had focused on smaller steps like what Obama has done, they might have made more progress.

but that said.. i think gay marriage should be fully legalized because then it would balance out the scales with the overall divorce rate. most if not all of the gay people i know are in life long committed relationships.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I dislike how people refure to homosexuals like they have some type of degenerative disease. As if they should be given special treatment because we should all feel sorry for them. At the same time I am shocked that these visitation rights are not 'human' rights and should be given to any and all people. I am not upset that same sex couples didn't have this right, I am upset that ANY human was denied this right.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Makes sense to me! .. Well, maybe not the power of attorney but (since they wont be married).. I can see it now, a wife and a guy fighting over who will and wont pull the plug on her husband who had a gay affair and put is lover as power of attorney!

But honestly for visitation, I should be allowed to have whoever I bloody well want in my hospital room. If I've been dating someone for years and thats the person I want to have visitation rights, the hospital should have no right to say no?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Without going through the whole thread, I have to give a kudo to Obama on this. It's been a long time coming, and a matter of common sense. That said, I am concerned about the implications... what is the definition of a domestic partner? Is any proof required? Will someone who is not thus 'related' to the sick/injured just walk in off the street and start making decisions for someone they barely know?

I am going to give the benefit of the doubt at this time that that will not happen.

As for this being some sort of reprieve for the Obama administration, sorry, too little too late. We are still trillions of dollars in debt from massive bailouts that fly in the face of everything America stands for, we still are being saddled with expenses on the average American they cannot afford (health insurance mandates), we are now embroiled in another war-front push while troops are still in Iraq, unemployment is still out of control, prices are still rising, there is still a huge trade imbalance, citizens are still not able to make their voices heard, the borders are still wide open, the Patriot Act is still in place, and Obama is still acting like the President of Planet Earth instead of the President of the United States.

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. It don't mean it's not still junk.

TheRedneck

MBF

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I don't see how this changes anything, I've had medical power of attorney for non family members and I have never been turned away from a hospital when I went to visit a non family person.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by sos37
Yep I guess I am, then. And I'm damn proud of it!

To me it doesn't matter what good he does - it's the motivation behind the good that he does that counts.

Oh, thats easy.
His motivation is to completely dismantle and crush the social conservative talking by enacting every opposing philosophy possible and make social conservatives feel like complete and utter fools by arguing against simple human decency.

They cant...because they know they are monsters...so they will just bicker about him personally instead..knowing that their ship is sinking rapidly.

^^^ What he said.

Another anti-selfishness, anti-egoist move by Obama.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Big Kudos to Obama on this. As a Gay male I've never been denied access to visit, be with, or care for for a non blood relative, nor has my partner been denied the right to be with me the few times I have been in the hospital.

However that being said, I know it can and does happen.

Lets keep moving forward.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Have to say, I thought this was already allowed for domestic partnerships...

That's a big problem. Many people don't realize the issues that gay people face in everyday life.

This is a great move by Obama! A good step toward true equal treatment under the law!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Yeah, I guess being gay makes my opinion of fair and equal rights for individuals a bit biased eh?

My thoughts exactly. But thanks for putting it into words.

Now that's funny! That's freaking hilarious!

But how do we explain all the straight people in this thread (like me) who think this is a great thing? Am I also somehow biased in my opinion of fair and equal rights for individuals?

Is EVERYONE biased except for those agree with you, sos?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is a great thing and a definite step towards progress.

My only hope is that this also extends to heterosexuals that are non-married but in a solid relationship. "Significant others" do not qualify for hospital visits when the patient is in ICU or CCU.

I find that laws like this one, as well as all of the hate law crimes, tend to leave the majority behind and only advance the minorities. Just as there are few hate law crimes against whites, I hope this also takes into account the ridiculous laws preventing heterosexuals that choose not to get married from the same rights.

Definitely score one for Obama on this.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Wow! didn't knew this was also happening. It sounds completely ridiculous this was also happening....excellent job Obama.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Finally.

A little bit of justice.

I don't really care what your feelings are of homosexuality, but this is something that just makes sense.

People who are in a relationship deserve to be able to pass on power of attorney to the ones they love and who know them best.

Regardless if that's same sex or heterosexual.

At least we agree on some things. Won't be able to say Obama never did anything positive in his presidency.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

I personally don't care whether gays are allowed to visit each other or not, that's not the problem with this....

The POTUS does NOT have the authority to issue demands on private institutions....

Hell he doesn't have the Carte Blanche authority to even do this to public institutions like VA hospitals.

How can people not see the dictatorial implications in something like this???

Are you people insane????

Jaden

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Damage control. That's all this is. I'm sure you don't care as it benefits you, personally, but this is nothing more than a bit of damage control to his political reputation.

Everything in politics is about damage control. Basically, writing this off as damage control is pointless.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join