It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.0 Quake Just Hit Randolph, UT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
quake.utah.edu...

Magnitude 5.0 - duration magnitude (Md)
Time Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 5:59:39 PM (MDT)
Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 23:59:39 (UTC)
Distance from Randolph, UT - 7 km (4 miles) NE (45 degrees)
Woodruff, UT - 21 km (13 miles) N (8 degrees)
Laketown, UT - 21 km (13 miles) SE (128 degrees)
Garden, UT - 30 km (19 miles) SE (132 degrees)
Salt Lake City, UT - 124 km (77 miles) NNE (31 degrees)
Coordinates 41 deg. 42.5 min. N (41.708N), 111 deg. 7.5 min. W (111.125W)
Depth 0.5 km (0.3 miles)
Location Quality Poor
Location Quality Parameters Nst= 74, Nph= 74, Dmin=27 km, Rmss=0.69 sec, Erho=0.9 km, Erzz=7.2 km, Gp=61.2 degrees
Event ID# uu00002715
Additional Information map
Topo map centered at earthquake (This link takes you offsite).

Map:
www.seis.utah.edu...

[edit on Thu Apr 15th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Another piece in the growing earthquake puzzle appears, but where does it fit? Is Utah prone to earthquakes?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hmm, Utah isn't exactly the first place you think about when you hear earthquake is it? Seems kinda strange. Do you know of any faults in that area? Or volcanic activity? I don't remember hearing of any.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
My sister in Law in St George just felt it.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

How many 5.0 earthquakes does the world get in a year? I am just wondering becuse it seems rather small and I grew up in Sandy Utah and yes it does get earthquakes from time to time.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wasatch Fault I do believe - Here we go - quick post - at least some of us are not slacking on the job

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Wasn't there a thread a few days ago in regards to Edward Cayce predictions on quakes and Utah being next?? Weird...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
could the Earth be coming apart?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I was on my computer in Salt Lake City and felt the quake. I believe this area is long overdue for a big quake.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The depth of the earthquake is what's interesting. A magnitude of 5.0 at a depth of 0.5km, in Utah. I wonder if this is common... time to do a little research.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

i'll have to start digging dipper into the whole "increased activity" theory. now if michigan gets an earthquake i'm heading for hills! haha

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tylermbell

I don't know, I've actually felt an earthquake in Michigan. Of course, I was on the 12th floor of a residence hall at MSU.
I think even a breeze would make that tower sway.

I found this map earlier on earthquake hazard maps. Apparently earthquakes are a hazard in 46 of the 50 states according to Science Daily. www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
These are time dilated warnings of when the LHC creates a black hole in 2012. It has already happend in the future and earth is starting to feel the effects before the event due to the time warp caused in black holes.

Just go along with it...what if it were true lol. Could we prevent our demise by acknologing its cause before it happens? =)

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Xeven]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

How many 5.0 earthquakes does the world get in a year? I am just wondering becuse it seems rather small and I grew up in Sandy Utah and yes it does get earthquakes from time to time.

A lot more than I thought. Over 1300 a year.

8 - 1
7 - 7.9 15
6 - 6.9 134
5 - 5.9 1319
4 - 4.9 13,000
3 - 3.9 130,000
2 - 2.9 1,300,000

Earhquale Facts and Statistics

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I was sitting here at work right next to the airport and didn't feel a thing. From what I read it sounds like the epicenter was up about 70 or so miles north of me. Not sure how far a 4.9 could be felt though... My ladyfriend was in her car about to leave when she felt it.

The wasatch fault line runs north/south along the mountains east of salt lake. I remember about 15 years ago some family talking about seismologists expecting the "big one" within 50 years....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VinciVirus

There are many military weaponry test sites throughout Utah, if that depth is accurate, I wouldn't rule out a new and improved bunker-buster bomb.

Possibly to be used in a "hypothetical" future attack on Iranian underground facilities?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I live in Clearfield, between Ogden and SLC in the valley. I didn't feel anything. With all the earthquakes happening lately I was beginning to wonder when we'd get hit. If anyone is interested, here's a website that shows the fault lines running through Utah. Scroll down to see pics of the different counties and their fault lines. Utah Geological Survey

[edit on 15-4-2010 by AquilaCat]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

We have the wasatch fault which runs through Utah and there is a ton of evidence for previous volcanic activity, not that I can think of any single dormant volcanoes that probably haven't blown in the last who billion years or so.

But Salt Lake and St George are places that would be largely affected if we had "the big one".

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

She felt it on the opposite end of the state? It was in randolph which is at the northern border and St George is at the southern.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here's from KSL:

RANDOLPH, Utah -- A 4.9 magnitude earthquake struck in Rich County Thursday evening, and people throughout the Salt Lake Valley felt it.

The quake hit at 5:59 p.m., roughly 4 miles northeast of Randolph.

Randolph residents describe quake

Scott Mitchell lives near the epicenter in unincorporated Rich County. He said he was inside watching TV with his family when the quake hit, and he wasn't quite sure what happened at first.
The most serious damage KSL News found was at Rich County High school, where several pictures fell off the wall.

"We were just watching TV, and it was like ... it was just a big blast, and then you felt the rumble, and you heard it. It was more of an explosion-type than a tremor aspect of things, which was just very strange," Mitchell said.

The University of Utah Seismograph Stations classified this as a "moderate" earthquake. Though many people felt it, there have been no reports of serious damage.

In fact, the most serious damage KSL News found was at Rich County High school, where several pictures fell off the wall.

"We've made a sweep. We've checked for broken gas lines -- none of that. We can't find any problems right now," said Rich County Sheriff Dale Stacey.

At the Gator Cafe in Randolph, we interviewed one woman who said she didn't know what to think when the earthquake hit.

"You felt like you were rocking back and forth, and just kind of treaded for 15 seconds, about, and then it was over," Stacy Showalter said. "[I] checked to make sure that everything was OK, and that was about it."

According to the seismograph station, a total of four earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater have occurred within 16 miles of the epicenter of this earthquake since 1962.

Quake felt in parts of Utah, Wyo. and Idaho

The U.S. Geological Survey website logged more than 1,400 responses from people who said they felt Thursday's quake less than an hour after it struck. Responses ranged from Provo, Salt Lake City and Ogden to Jackson, Wyo., and Pocatello, Idaho.

Source

top topics

<<   2 >>

join