It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can fictional beings become Tulpas?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Would anyone be interested in trying to create one? If it is possible, a group intention would likely be more effective than just one person trying to create it.

But what would we make it? A god, a demon, a ghost, some sort of avenging spirit? And what would it's purpose be? Anyone have any suggestions?

My vote is some sort of entity that terrorizes stubborn skeptics.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

I've heard alot about Michael. He did always seem to be "second-in-command" even when compared to other angels. I've never heard the Christ theory, sounds plausible.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Would anyone be interested in trying to create one? If it is possible, a group intention would likely be more effective than just one person trying to create it.

But what would we make it? A god, a demon, a ghost, some sort of avenging spirit? And what would it's purpose be? Anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds like a plan. We should start small if we start at all.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully

Originally posted by The Cusp

Sounds like a plan. We should start small if we start at all.

I would strongly suggest not starting as it could be an invitation to Converts and/or Demons to enter your life which could lead to oppression or even possession.

It would be very simple for any negative spirit to pretend to be any fictional character you make up. You create the character and they will take the opportunity to play the part and mislead you.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
I would strongly suggest not starting as it could be an invitation to Converts and/or Demons to enter your life which could lead to oppression or even possession.

It would be very simple for any negative spirit to pretend to be any fictional character you make up. You create the character and they will take the opportunity to play the part and mislead you.

I'm willing to take that chance. I'm of the opinion there is nothing those things can do to you directly, they can only trick you into doing harm to yourself. And even if it did go bad, then other people could learn from my mistake. Any other brave souls willing to give this a shot?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I'm 50-50. I want to give it a shot but most of the accounts I've read have been negative. Possession would be an interesting effect but should it happen it wouldn't be worth it. How exactly could we do this as a group?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I'm 50-50. I want to give it a shot but most of the accounts I've read have been negative. Possession would be an interesting effect but should it happen it wouldn't be worth it. How exactly could we do this as a group?

I have no choice but to base my efforts on my own beliefs, but I think my signature sums it up nicely. But basically everything requires your attention to exist, so the more people we have focusing their attention on our "baby", the more real it should become.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

What denomination do you belong to, Regina?

As to creating our own Tulpas, I'm all for this little experiment. All I require is that it's female, it calls me "Daddy," and we can have tea parties together.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Anyone else care to share their thoughts on this topic and experiment?

[edit on 21-4-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Thanks for a very interesting thread, ItsAgentScully.

Sorry to be the token cynic, but I think all of this is hogwash. I don't mean to be disrespectful and I totally appreciate the thread and find it fascinating.

However, the idea that "if people begin to believe in this myth ... are there chances [of an entity of some sort] being conceived unknowingly? In my view, um, no. I'm just about 40 and I've never seen, in my life, anything whatsoever that would suggest to me that physicality can emerge from thoughts, regardless of the magnitude or number of those thoughts. And, seriously I don't want to disrespect anyone, but if we are honest with ourselves, none of us have seen this because it's not something that has ever happened, happens or will ever happen.

Not close-minded though! I love the topic and find the concept intriguing. When I see evidence of this phenomenon I will believe it.

"A thread containing that link poped (sic) up in a dreaming forum I frequent, and a large number of people claimed to have seen him. Even after it was revealed that the originator of that site owned a marketing company that employed non-conventional communication techniques."

I can buy this because I can buy that people are incredibly receptive to all sorts of things, especially when you consider myriad issues like social standing, stress/anxiety, education/lack of education, etc.

No one laments that little ones believe in St. Nick. In fact, we want them to believe because we know the sublimity and charm of being that age where you can believe in wonder and the innocent magic of it all. It's awesome. But it's not true. And as adults, we may wear festive holiday sweatshirts that say "believe" or whatever, but we know the real deal.

This is no different. No one has any more evidence than anyone would have of Santa Clause, yet people choose to pretend like they believe this is possible.

It's much more interesting to consider from a sociological perspective ... as to wonder, why would people so embrace such delusions? Is it the economy? Is it a spiritual crisis? Is it the downfall of an empire? Is it a systemic breakdown in education? Who knows?

"I think the internet has the potential to create tulpas by repetition and reinforcement. Much like the 'Hat Man' has generated a certain reality."

I believe the Internet, in its nefariousness, can propagate these silly memes, of course. Even to the extent that someone can read this very thread and see the smiling man image, then forget about it only to reference it ten years down the road as a dream they had. Not because they are devious, but because people forget stuff and it does seem like we cater a bit more than we might ought to to the "paranormal" side for explanations of the idiosyncrasies in our lives.

Terrific thread. I hope many more respond with interesting stories/rebuttals/comments.

[edit on Apr 22, 2010 by Hadrian]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
As a side note, and as embarrassing as it might be, I would totally participate (and sincerely) in an organized group effort to conjure a tulpa. Again, I am open minded, though I have prejudice based on reality.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

This is how it may work READ WHOLE THING

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenlance

What denomination do you belong to, Regina?

No denomination. We are not affiliated with any man-made religion as they all consist of only half truths and falsehoods. As a minister of Christ's Ministry, it is my duty and responsibility to share the only the truth in all that has been shared with me.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

None taken, im glad you feel comfortable to share your point of view and are willing to give it a shot.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

No denomination. We are not affiliated with any man-made religion as they all consist of only half truths and falsehoods.

It's interesting you should say that, as I've developed the belief that Christianity is a man-made religion full of half truths and falsehoods. Therefore it means making Jesus a thought-creation, conceived two thousand years ago and kept alive by the belief and prayers of billions alive today. Doesn't that sound like a Tulpas?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenlance

No denomination. We are not affiliated with any man-made religion as they all consist of only half truths and falsehoods.

It's interesting you should say that, as I've developed the belief that Christianity is a man-made religion full of half truths and falsehoods. Therefore it means making Jesus a thought-creation, conceived two thousand years ago and kept alive by the belief and prayers of billions alive today. Doesn't that sound like a Tulpas?

If that's your belief, you're entitled to it.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on this topic and experiment?

[edit on 21-4-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

hey scully,still lovin the thread by the way.
i seem to recall in an old-ish book about about tibetan bon/buddhism the auther suggested if you wished to try & create a living tulpa to start small & easy by imagining a cardboard box,& vividly imagining all its tiny details then move onto plants/fruits later when you feel safe with that.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
Dame Alexandra Neel (sp?) created her Tulpa alone, I think, based on information gained from monks who created them as and when they deemed fit and on age-old rituals handed down, monk to monk through the ages

According to Dame Alexandra, her Tulpa was at first obedient. When it began to manifest independent thought and took on a sinister air, it had to be 'dismantled' through, again, age-old ritual

And that's the danger ...

Also pema tense, a buddhist monk from tibet, created a thought form know as a yiddam, that he brought into existance through the power of his mind to make it physically real for him, he could see it, he could hear it he could touch it, everything. it only takes one person the create a thought form, however when a certain amount of people focus on a certain form it could become an archetype, a semi-permanent astral creation.

however, a group of people can come together at anytime and form a thought form for whatever purpose they need, and it will more than likely be more powerful, or last longer, than if it were created by one person.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I would say yes.

Egregores or thought forms may be based on fictional entities.

One of the things the Bible is not clear on, contrary to what some of the other posters think, is the origin of unclean spirits or "demons".

There is no where it correlates fallen "angels" with the various types of unclean spirits mentioned in the Bible.

All the Bible does is mention various types of unclean spirits, the Shedim, the Seirim, the Tannim, the Tannin, and the Ovoth.

Its possible that thought forms have some kind of relationship with unclean spirits. There is some speculation in the rabbinical tradition in regards to this very idea, that people are the origin of demons. One of the thoughts is that humans manifest demons through unclean actions. This would explain why places where great evil occured becomes haunted. Demons in this sense become symbiotic entities, like the original Greek Daimon and the Roman Genius. In the place of the haunting, the spirit becomes a Genius Loci.

If we shape and manifest these beings, then they should be shaped by our cultures and beliefs. These monsters of the Id, then take on familiar characteristics to the community that created it.

This could possibly explain various cryptid sightings and even some UFO sightings and "aliens". The Psychologist Dr. Carl Jung theorized this about UFOs long ago, that some UFOs were thoughtforms.

One culture may see elves and trolls, another sees aliens, and yet another sees incubi/succubi.

So it may be possible.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Generally, anything can be made into a tulpa/thoughtform/servitor/egregore/insert whatever esoteric name makes you happy here. Slenderman is no exception, and considering its broad fanbase, the likelihood that it has become one or several tulpa is increasingly likely. It inspires fear, and above all it seems like fear is potent for this kind of thing - we experience other emotions in dilute degrees, but fear is one of those floodgate things.

I know I'm terrified of it, even though I know it was made up on SA. For some reason it just sparks this horrible feeling in the back of my mind, like looking at artwork of gray aliens.

Thankfully, if it was primarily created by westerners, our paranormal norms almost always operate by an unspoken, dogmatic set of 'rules', (unlike say, Japanese monster concepts, which usually operate by no 'rules' and will get you, no matter where you go, no matter what you do), so I believe that any potential Slenderman tulpa that existed would be governed by those cultural mores since it was created by people who believe in them.

Naturally, as with anything, the more YOU worry about it, the more YOU feed it...so try not to dwell on it unless you enjoy looking over your shoulder for more reasons than just being a little nervous, eh?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join