It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can fictional beings become Tulpas?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
After learning about the Slender Man myth created on Something Awful i have been intrigued by it. It was created as part of a contest to photo-shop pictures into something that might pass as authentic on paranormal forums. I've skimmed through the thread where it was created and the posters are having alot of fun with creating fake photographs, newspaper stories, and videos about this Man.
It gives it a Blair Witch Project feel(well, before it was announced as a hoax) and im sure some of those photographs could convince a person unaware of the myths origin. He also seems to be growing in popularity across the internet. So i have wondered, if people begin to believe in this myth and take the stories about it as possible fact, are there chances of a SlenderMan-like tulpa being conceived unknowingly?

May sound like a silly question but i am curious as to what you all think of this possibility. All in good fun.

Slender Man:

www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com...

media.photobucket.com...

[edit on 15-4-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
You may find in mythology and mysticism, the concept recurs outside the Buddhist definition.

Essentially the notion of sympathetic magic surfaces even in Christian dogma (Faith the size of a mustard seed, and whatnot).

There seems to be a firm belief that human willpower, properly focused and attenuated, can create matter and energy without restriction. It sounds fantastically unbelievable from our 'advanced' cultural perspective. But it is difficult for me to simply dismiss the possibility, foolish as it may sound, I prefer to believe in miracles...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Well, I'm not an expert on Tulpas, Golems, or thought-form beings. But my belief on them has always been that it requires a group to create them, and that said group needs to be highly dedicated and focused on the being they are attempting to create. Which would mean that contest where the Slender Man can possess many histories, visual forms, and actions it is highly unlikely that a substantial enough amount of the participants have the same Slender Man in mind.

Not that I discount the belief in Tulpas and thought-forms, I do believe they are possible. But in the instance that you have cited, I do not think one will come to be.

Just my opinion of course, as likely to be faulty as anyone else.

~ Scribe

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Dame Alexandra Neel (sp?) created her Tulpa alone, I think, based on information gained from monks who created them as and when they deemed fit and on age-old rituals handed down, monk to monk through the ages

According to Dame Alexandra, her Tulpa was at first obedient. When it began to manifest independent thought and took on a sinister air, it had to be 'dismantled' through, again, age-old ritual

And that's the danger ...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't want to say definitively yes or no that it's possible, but it's an interesting idea to entertain. There are two examples of this that come to mind.

The first is the notorious seance held for the fictional Philip. the Toronto Society for Psychical Research (TSPR) invented a fictional character with a detailed back story as a target for a seance. Supposedly the seance participants were able to ascertain many aspects of Philip's fictional past.

paranormal.about.com...

The second example was caused by a viral marketing campaign. This company created a wanted type poster of a man who was supposed frequent people's dreams. The official site was www.thisman.org...

A thread containing that link poped up in a dreaming forum I frequent, and a large number of people claimed to have seen him. Even after it was revealed that the originator of that site owned a marketing company that employed non-conventional communication techniques.

www.jawbone.tv...

Really, what is required to make something real? Belief? Of just focusing attention on it?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

I remember reading about tulpas when I used to be into all the weird stuff in a big way. I think the internet has the potential to create tulpas by repetition and reinforcement. Much like the 'Hat Man' has generated a certain reality.

The Slender Man is a great creation, a modern twist on Stephen King's It. It'll be intriguing to see if the concept spreads and gains motion. We may well see mentions of sightings on paranormal message boards in the future.

I can't for the life of me remember enough details to provide links...I've posted about it last year. A study was done to create a ghost. They got together and described its character, appearance and history...and death. The group then conducted a seance and tried to contact the guy...and did. They had several sessions and communicated with 'something' by knocks etc. Sounds tulpa-ish

IIRC a later study involving Liverpool John Moore's University tried to repeat the results without success. If I can think of the name they gave the ghost, it'll be easy to find links.

So who knows what we can create when our minds are applied to something?

Edit: SnF for avatar & OP

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Dammit. Sorry for skipping through and missing your post. Phillip is the one I was thinking about. Good call and my bad

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
wow great idea for a thread scully.
the whole tupla thing is absolutely fascinating to me as of late,
the slender man also sounds familiar to the grinning man that was purported to be around when the whole mothman prophecies thing was going down.Also american sci-fi writer ray bradbury was so intrigued by the whole process that he wrote a book in which famous fictional characters of literature turned up as physical presences on mars,cant for the life remember the name of the book though.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rationalguy12

Thank you, I've been wondering this for a while but could not find a good example.
The book sounds familiar but i can't remember it either

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I remember a story, though I don't really remember how I received knowledge of the story, where a woman used to pray at night. During her prayers, she would imagine she was resting in the lap of Jesus. Those dumb, religious broads, eh? Well, after enough time "Jesus" manifested, or at least what she believed to be Jesus. Her thought-created Jesus then proceeded to grab her head try to get her to perform fellatio on him. God bless dumb, religious broads.

Any who, I was always entertained by the thought, pun intended, of these manifestations. I just didn't have real knowledge of what to call them. Thanks, ATS!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenlance

Haha, interesting story. From what i have read, Tulpas take a life of their own shortly after creation.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Only 2 spiritual forms exist in creation. Human spirits (referred to as Holy Ghosts or Converts), and Angelic spirits (either Holy or Fallen).

Hence, there is no such thing as Tulpas. They are either demons or converts (human spirits refusing to abide by God's sovereign laws and by default are on Satan's team) pretending to be Tulpas, Aliens, The Mothman, The Jersey Devil, Poltergeists etc. etc. etc.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

The first is the notorious seance held for the fictional Philip. the Toronto Society for Psychical Research (TSPR) invented a fictional character with a detailed back story as a target for a seance. Supposedly the seance participants were able to ascertain many aspects of Philip's fictional past.

I made a thread about it not long ago.

Creating a Ghost – The Philip Aylesford Experiment

It's a great story and it may just be the most interesting and fascinating of any other story of a paranormal nature that I’ve ever heard.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
Only 2 spiritual forms exist in creation. Human spirits (referred to as Holy Ghosts or Converts), and Angelic spirits (either Holy or Fallen).

Hence, there is no such thing as Tulpas. They are either demons or converts (human spirits refusing to abide by God's sovereign laws and by default are on Satan's team) pretending to be Tulpas, Aliens, The Mothman, The Jersey Devil, Poltergeists etc. etc. etc.

And you know this how......

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Interesting. Did you know the first demons were fallen angels? And in religious mythology Satan doesn't really exist, his name/image was stolen from a pagan god and applied to Lucifer. The idea of Satan and Lucifer being one being has become far-accepted so no one asks where Satan holds its origins.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully

Interesting. Did you know the first demons were fallen angels? And in religious mythology Satan doesn't really exist, his name/image was stolen from a pagan god and applied to Lucifer. The idea of Satan and Lucifer being one being has become far-accepted so no one asks where Satan holds its origins.

Yes.
Fallen Angels & Demons are one in the same. Just two different ways to refer to the same spirit energies.

Satan does indeed exist. His given name is Dawn. He was the guardian Cherub angel over the Garden of Eden and Adam and Eve until he caused Eve, then Adam to sin. Since then his name has been commonly known amongst those in the Spirit Realm as Dawn Lucifer Satan the Serpent.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Yes.
Fallen Angels & Demons are one in the same. Just two different ways to refer to the same spirit energies.

Satan does indeed exist. His given name is Dawn. He was the guardian Cherub angel over the Garden of Eden and Adam and Eve until he caused Eve, then Adam to sin. Since then his name has been commonly known amongst those in the Spirit Realm as Dawn Lucifer Satan the Serpent.

I've never head of Dawn. I'll look into it, im very intrigued!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I've never head of Dawn. I'll look into it, im very intrigued!

You can read more about it HERE

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Thanks. I could never find much about the Cherubic order, most focus on the seraphim it seems.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Thanks. I could never find much about the Cherubic order, most focus on the arc-angels it seems.

Yes...and most are falsehoods. Contrary to popular belief there is only one Archangel and that is Michael. The word Archangel actually means that his authority arcs out over all other angelic orders. It was Michael (also known as The Word and bi-creator of Creation) who became Christ Jesus our Savior.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join