It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nick Clegg wins poll on UK political debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A ComRes poll said 43 percent of the people thought Clegg was the clear winner; 26 percent thought the Conservatives' David Cameron won and 20 percent thought Labour's Prime Minister Gordon Brown won. There was some 11 percent who thought there was no clear winner. ComRes sampled some 4,032 people by telephone immediately after the debate for ITV News. No margin of error was given, but in samples of a similar size there is plus or minus of less than two percentage points.

A Populus poll for The Times showed 61 percent of the respondents gave Clegg the victory, while 22 percent said they thought Cameron won and 17 percent thought Brown won. The sample size was more than 1,000 people with a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

One audience member in the debate described Clegg as the "Barack Obama of British politics."

news.yahoo.com...

Just as I thought and was hoping for. I watched the debate and hands down I support Nick Clegg, Obviously I cannot vote because I am not a British citizen but if I was I would be voting for the Liberal Democrats.

[edit on 4/15/10 by Misoir]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
this doesnt suprise me at all, he deffinitelly came accross the stronger man in this debate, im fron uk but choose not to take part in the voting (apathetic is an understatement)

if i was voting, i would probably vote for him after that debate!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I was originally going to vote Liberals, but I instead decided that I would vote Conservatives as I thought they were more likely to get in.

But partly due to watching the debate tonight I'm going to stick to my guns and go with my original choice of the Liberal Democrats.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Didn't get to see the debate as i'm in Canada at the moment. Judging from a very unscientific Facebook status poll that i conducted, Clegg came out very well indeed.

Cameron came over as smarmy and vapid. WHO'D HAVE THUNK IT?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
l watched the debate and for me Nick Clegg did the lib dems proud, before the debate l was also swaying more conservative but now l'm definitely voting for change (no pun intended) Lib dem hands down.
The ironic thing was in the closing statements Nick Clegg did no mudslinging but as soon as Mr Brown got his chance he couldn't help but have a dig at the conservatives and they in turn digging back.
l for one am sick of the two main parties (Labour and Conservatives) just slagging each other like a bunch of primary school kids instead of facing the real issues this oneupmanship is afarce and l hope the rest of the UK see's them for what they are and uses their vote for the Lib Dems now wouldn't that be a shocker .....laters scottishdave

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
watching it on this link: www.itv.com... now.

Clegg comes accross as the most self-richeous, not in a bad way either. He genuinely beleives what he stands for. Thankfully the Lib Dems havent sacrificed ideological rhetoric for the practical widom essential to the realisation of their ideals either. Unlike the Conservatives and Labour who frankly seem hungry and desperate for power. Even when they agree theyre "tough guy leader" attidute makes them sound like theyre disagreeing. And every word i heard coming from Brown or Cameron sounded like they were just using the words they thought we wanted to hear. Instead of telling us how they genuinely feel about the issues in question.

I'm really looking forward to the election results in May. If Lib' Dem's get into power, id feel far better about living in this country over the coming years. Some sanity in politics at last perhaps.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by DizzyDayDream]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
I was originally going to vote Liberals, but I instead decided that I would vote Conservatives as I thought they were more likely to get in.

But partly due to watching the debate tonight I'm going to stick to my guns and go with my original choice of the Liberal Democrats.

Ugghh im obviously not venting at you Kram, but the sort of attitude that i see alot of in your first sentence makes me sick...the ohhh well they probably won't win so i'll completely disregard the person and party i feel truly represents my core values and aspirations for this country. It's that sort of attitude that perpetuates the status quo. This isn't the bookies, this is our country. People should not be voting on who they deem will probably win imo. Anyway, as usual i will not be voting either of the big three, none of them even begins to deserve my vote and this debate proved that to me even more so.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Nick Clegg definitely made a great case for an alternative type of government in the UK. People are fed up with Labour and if you look at the Labour party now and what they stand for, it's almost unrecognizable from the old Labour party who were all about the working people and the average man on the street.

The Conservatives are basically the default option where most people will turn to when they are desperate for something to change, just as Labour were the desperate option when they got in 13 years ago when the tories were busy running the country into the ground. But this time around Nick Clegg has turned an awful lot of those desperate heads in his direction.

What I do see happening though is the Conservative party perhaps justtaking the election this term, and if they do what I think they will do, which is just the more of the same, then the Lib Dems will almost certainly get in when the next general election comes around in four years time.

top topics

join