It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Congressman lashes out at Obama over Israel remarks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

U.S. Congressman lashes out at Obama over Israel remarks

www.haaretz.com

Eric Cantor, a leading Republican official in the U.S. House of Representatives, on Thursday lashed out at U.S. President Barack Obama's remarks about Israel at this week's nuclear security summit.

Cantor on Thursday lashed out at Obama's remarks, saying the U.S. administration is manufacturing fights with Israel and pandering to the Arab world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
These were the statements made by Obama against which American Jewish congressional representative Eric Ivan Cantor lashed out at Obama:

Obama on Tuesday urged all countries, including Israel, to sign the international Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, or NPT.

"Whether we're talking about Israel or any other country, we think that becoming part of the NPT is important,"
Obama said. "And that, by the way, is not a new position. That's been a consistent position of the United States government, even prior to my administration."

Obama also said that unresolved conflicts, such as Arab-Israeli conflict, affects the United States.

Was Obama wrong in stating this? Irrespective of Obama other policies over Healthcare, taxes, birth-issue etc etc. do you really feel what he (Obama) said was not true? If you remember correctly Bin Laden objected against USA's biased support to Israel which as is claimed is one of the motives of 9/11. Didn't Obama stated the obvious which I doubt any other person from high Rank has so bluntly stated in public.

It is important to note that Cantor voted for the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 that started the Iraq War. Cantor is also linked to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) and the Republican Jewish Coalition (RJC).

Eric Cantor cosponsored legislation to cut off all U.S. taxpayer aid to the Palestinian Authority and another bill calling for an end to taxpayer aid to the Palestinians until they stop unauthorized excavations on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.

Responding to a claim by the State Department that the United States provides no direct aid to the Palestinian Authority, Cantor claimed that United States sends about US$75 million in aid annually to the Palestinian Authority, which is administered by the U.S. Agency for International Development. Cantor has also claimed that Congress approved a three-year package of US$400 million in aid for the Palestinian Authority in 2000. He has also introduced legislation to end aid to Palestinians.

S
Can you imagine the irony here? This guy actually is shamelessly speaking about unauthorized excavations...no mention of illegal settlements, blockade, occupation, genocide committed by Israel.

Keeping this in mind for who actually Eric Evan Cantor is working for? Is his interest really for USA or Israel? To me clearly Cantor is manufacturing problems on behalf of Israel.

I completely support Obama on this stand. Imo this is the way to go treating all countries equally on same issue.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Consider your source for the article, and that explains it already.

Try a source that would be totally unbiased in Middle East issues. Maybe hard to find, yet surely there are more possibilities than a news source in Israel. Maybe wait to see if the article appears in PressTV.ir?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I guess we should ask Mr Cantor if this is the United States of America, or the United States of Israel.

Obama has every right to call out Israel for its actions that violate trust and go against any peace process. Anyone whom blindly defends any nation regardless of their actions is suspect in my book.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dzonatas
Consider your source for the article, and that explains it already.

Try a source that would be totally unbiased in Middle East issues. Maybe hard to find, yet surely there are more possibilities than a news source in Israel. Maybe wait to see if the article appears in PressTV.ir?

Are you claiming Haaretz an Israeli news source is reporting Hoax information or did Cantor did not speak so or is Haaretz false reporting about Obama statements?

So far it has not been reported in PressTV but you can find the same here in American News source Politico.com
Cantor swipes at Obama on Middle East

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It absolutely is true. All countries must be treated equally. Showing favorites has gotten us into a lot of trouble.

Seems the latest Republican past time is to lash out at things Obama says, spinning his words to be shameful, dangerous, unpatriotic or just plain stupid.

The GOP feels impotent after HCR and are grasping at any little straw they can find to turn the country against Obama.

I swear, if they put HALF as much energy into solving problems as they do into tearing Obama down, they may actually be a party worth something.... Nah, probably not. Today's GOP is nothing more than a pack of angry coyotes lashing out at the person they hate. That's ALL they have done since Obama came on the scene.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Removed. Sorry.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
Are you claiming Haaretz an Israeli news source is reporting Hoax information or did Cantor did not speak so or is Haaretz false reporting about Obama statements?

Actually neither. I find Haaretz tends to take factual events and add their own commentary, and then people thend to take such commentary as official statements.

Cantor, a Jewish Republican member, stated his position that Israel is a democracy:

Israel is a democracy that has always made the sacrifices necessary for peace despite living under constant threats to their very existence.

Source

Perhaps he means it seems like a democracy due to a vote, yet a true democracy is the opposite of a monarchy. Israel is still very much a Jewish state, as even Cantor claims:

The true barrier to ending the Mideast conflict is the widespread Palestinian refusal to accept and to live alongside Israel as a Jewish state.

That would mean he contradicted himself in a position of what democracy is really about. Democracy is not only about being able to vote, it is always not a state of a godhood run country.

His next statement is kind of remarkable:

While Israel continues its search for a reliable partner in peace, Palestinian terrorism is still celebrated in the West Bank and Gaza.

I bolded the part where he doesn't even uphold the U.S. as a peaceful ally, but more to the point he obviously uses the word "terrorism." It is well known that terrorism is a definition in the eye of the beholder, so his position is clearly anti-Palestine and pro-Isreal.

I would say Cantor needs to be neutral to both Isreal and Palestine given the fact of his job in the U.S. He shouldn't point fingers at Obama if he ignores the mirror.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, Israel has milked it's being tormented to the hilt. Time for them to wake up and realize they are as bad as the terrorists they claim they get it from everyday.

Pot calling the kettle black?

I am no longer a sympathizer of Israel. Sometimes people get what they are asking for, without even putting it to words.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If Eric Ivan Cantor' loyalty to Israel supersedes his loyalty to the US (which appears to be the case), he should consider relocating to Israel. He's hurting the policies and standing of the United States.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
"Cantor is currently the only Jewish Republican in the United States Congress" from wiki, hmm I wonder if the jewish politicians know hwo the republicans truly believe about their faith.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

This is one of those rare moments in the last ten years, you Americans really should stand and be proud...back your president and say we back him up because he working for us...not for filling his pockets with money like the last clown running the office...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OddTimeSignature

well

news.bbc.co.uk...

US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle earned $5.5 million (£3.6m) in 2009, mainly from book sales, according to the White House.

The couple have doubled their income since Mr Obama took office in January 2009, tax returns show.

still making a bundle :p

top topics

join