It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Text Of World Jewish Congress Open Letter To President Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ron Lauder, President of the World Jewish Congress, published full-page ads in the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal today to publish the following open letter to President Obama.

The letter expressed deep concern about Iran's burgeoning nuclear capabilities and the US's Israel policy.

Ron Lauder, a former ambassador to Austria, is heir to the Estee Lauder cosmetics empire (his 2007 estimated worth is $3 billion). His son-in-law is a Governor of the Federal Reserve Board … just saying.

15 April 2010

Dear President Obama:
I write today as a proud American and a proud Jew.

Jews around the world are concerned today. We are concerned about the nuclear ambitions of an Iranian regime that brags about its genocidal intentions against Israel. We are concerned that the Jewish state is being isolated and delegitimized.
Mr. President, we are concerned about the dramatic deterioration of diplomatic relations between the United States and Israel.

The Israeli housing bureaucracy made a poorly timed announcement and your Administration branded it an “insult.” This diplomatic faux pas was over the fourth stage of a seven stage planning permission process – a plan to build homes years from now in a Jewish area of Jerusalem that under any peace agreement would remain an integral part of Israel.

Our concern grows to alarm as we consider some disturbing questions. Why does the thrust of this Administration’s Middle East rhetoric seem to blame Israel for the lack of movement on peace talks? After all, it is the Palestinians, not Israel, who refuse to negotiate.

Israel has made unprecedented concessions. It has enacted the most far reaching West Bank settlement moratorium in Israeli history.

Israel has publicly declared support for a two-state solution. Conversely, many Palestinians continue their refusal to even acknowledge Israel’s right to exist.
The conflict’s root cause has always been the Palestinian refusal to accept Israel as the nation state of the Jewish people. Every American President who has tried to broker a peace agreement has collided with that Palestinian intransigence, sooner or later. Recall President Clinton’s anguish when his peace proposals were bluntly rejected by the Palestinians in 2000. Settlements were not the key issue then.

They are not the key issue now.

Another important question is this: what is the Administration’s position on Israel’s borders in any final status agreement? Ambiguity on this matter has provoked a wave of rumors and anxiety. Can it be true that America is no longer committed to a final status agreement that provides defensible borders for Israel? Is a new course being charted that would leave Israel with the indefensible borders that invited invasion prior to 1967?

There are significant moves from the Palestinian side to use those indefensible borders as the basis for a future unilateral declaration of independence. How would the United States respond to such a reckless course of action?
And what are America’s strategic ambitions in the broader Middle East? The Administration’s desire to improve relations with the Muslim world is well known. But is friction with Israel part of this new strategy? Is it assumed worsening relations with Israel can improve relations with Muslims? History is clear on the matter: appeasement does not work. It can achieve the opposite of what is intended.

And what about the most dangerous player in the region? Shouldn’t the United States remain focused on the single biggest threat that confronts the world today? That threat is a nuclear armed Iran. Israel is not only America’s closest ally in the Middle East, it is the one most committed to this Administration’s declared aim of ensuring Iran does not get nuclear weapons.

Mr. President, we embrace your sincerity in your quest to seek a lasting peace. But we urge you to take into consideration the concerns expressed above. Our great country and the tiny State of Israel have long shared the core values of freedom and democracy. It is a bond much treasured by the Jewish people. In that spirit I submit, most respectfully, that it is time to end our public feud with Israel and to confront the real challenges that we face together.

Yours sincerely,

Ronald S. Lauder
President
World Jewish Congress

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Regardless of who Mr. Lauder is related to, the whole picture of the
relationship between Israel and the US is what is important. I think we
are treading on thin ice by not backing up Israel 100%. Not just 50% or
75%, but, completely. They are one of our best and closest allies in this
crazy world, and we need them as much as they need us. I am for
restoring our relationship with them and backing them up all the way,
through thick and thin and whatever comes before both of us.

The Israeli's have been in Israel forever almost, and they are not going
anywhere, no matter what anyone thinks. It is truly their land and God
will defend them to the end even if America's leaders decide otherwise.

This is obviously MY opinion and only that. So if you don't agree with
me and have your own opinion, so be it. I am not here to start an endless
argument thread.

SHALOM and PEACE TO ALL !!

[edit on 15-4-2010 by endtimer]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Agree, very good. The US/Israeli relationship is crucial. I'm sure the US would want some credit for the end result of the Gog-Magog war after all

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I don't see an alliance with Israel as a major problem.

The problem is the blind defense of Israel by the United States.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sorry, but the U.S. needs to continue to stay out of the problems being caused by the Israeli occupation. They have bitten the hand that feeds them (the U.S.) far too long and it is high time they lie in the bed they created.

Funny... Russia, Syria, and Iran flex a little muscle and now all of a sudden Israel is asking for our assistance... Oh, and that whole bit about continuing with the illegal settlements..well, that was just a "Faux Pas". Please.

Back the hell off of Gaza and give them their water back. Maybe then we will consider looking your way again. However, something tells me that my country is getting sick and tired of this "nation state" and the whining.

Why are we giving them money,again?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Israel has publicly declared support for a two-state solution.

Then why not return to the 1967 boarders? Why continue to expand on land that was not given, but taken by you?

Why not live in harmony like you use to before the holocaust?

There are many stories about people who lived in Jeruselum, Jew and Muslim neighbors, and they'd watch each other's children on the other religions holidays.

They use to live in peace, AS THEY DID FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS TOGETHER!

It wasn't until the Jews used an atrocity and all of a sudden decided they no longer wanted to wait for their god to give Israel back to them. They used horrors committed upon them by Germans to take Arab homes that had been in families for hundreds of years.

I wonder sometimes, if they could take back the Holocaust, if it meant they didn't get israel, if they'd even consider it.

In Japan, there is a large number of Mormons. If the Mormons get oppressed there, can they come back and claim Utah houses because the Japanese beat them?

Do you think the Christian homeowner will agree that the Japanese family gets his house and land because of a book which he doesn't believe in?

Now don't pick that apart and change the subject, you know that's the gist of the whole story.

That is no different than the Russian or American Jew who's family lived in other countries for thousands of years, and then decides to move to Israel, not their homeland, but their religion's homeland, and claim territory from people who have done them no wrong.

And now, as always, the oppressed long to become the oppressor, and that's what we've allowed Israel to become.

Jews can stay in Israel, but it's not their country until their god gives it back to them, as their books say!

[edit on 15-4-2010 by breakingdradles]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian
Mr. President, we are concerned about the dramatic deterioration of diplomatic relations between the United States and Israel.

This translates to [Mr. President we are concerned that "you" our big brother, wont be there in the event that war is declared on the State of Israel.]

[edit on 15-4-2010 by solarstorm]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Recently my history class started talking about the gulf war, some one said that this started america as the police of the middle east. The teacher quickly corrected that person by saying once Israel became a country in 1947 America became the police of the middle east. Now this is strange to me as Britain originally gave the land to the jews but they really dont have a huge hand in Israeli issues why is that?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by Hadrian

This translates to [Mr. President we are concerned that "you" our big brother, wont be there in the event that war is declared on the State of Israel.]

[edit on 15-4-2010 by solarstorm]

I think what you mean is "When israel declares war against other nations".

Not when war is declared against israel. lol

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I agree, clearly the United States should continue support of genocide and other heinous crimes against humanity that Israel perpetuates in Gaza.

We should also continue to turn a blind eye towards Israel's nuclear weapons regardless of their legality (or lack thereof).

Through hypocrisy and continued human right crimes, the United States and Israel together can bring peace to the Middle East, regardless of the number of Muslims (which of course are all dangerous, angry terrorists who want to kill our puppies and kitties) that must be killed in order to do so. Even if it means all of them.

USA!
USA!
USA!
...and Israel!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing
Recently my history class started talking about the gulf war, some one said that this started america as the police of the middle east. The teacher quickly corrected that person by saying once Israel became a country in 1947 America became the police of the middle east. Now this is strange to me as Britain originally gave the land to the jews but they really dont have a huge hand in Israeli issues why is that?

America, unlike GB, depends on a war economy to survive.

Ever since the World Wars, we thrived as a war society.

Our corporations get bigger and they pay our people good salaries, and we become "stronger".

After the world wars, we needed another front.

We turned the middle east into a ghetto and started a never ending war.

GB already went through this stage, and now makes enough off of their colonies, as all GB's colonies are thriving, and all of Spain's are basically 3rd world countries.

In short, they make enough money that they can stay at home, we have to work for a living!

[edit on 15-4-2010 by breakingdradles]

top topics

join