It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: America a Superpower 'Whether We Like It or Not'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
And yet another statement by our fearless leader that makes him appear weak. If he is not apologizing or bowing, he is uttering nonsense.

In a little-noticed remark at the close of the two-day nuclear security summit in Washington, D.C., this week, President Obama suggested the United States is somehow burdened by its military might -- a comment that drew a stern rebuke from his former rival in the presidential campaign.

Obama was responding to a question Tuesday about how the summit would play into peace-making efforts in the Middle East when he addressed the downsides of -- by virtue of America's world stature -- being obligated to intervene in international conflicts.

"It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower, and when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them," Obama said. "And that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure."

The remark got little attention in mainstream coverage of the summit, but was picked up on several conservative blogs, which panned the president for suggesting Americans had grown weary of superpower status.

What country does Obama think he is the President of? Honestly, this is just disgusting. Would he prefer to buck us back to a 3rd world mega power wielding sticks and stones? I think he is preparing to hand over the Super Power reins to China at the request of George Soros.

John McCain sums it up like him or not

"That's one of the more incredible statements I've ever heard a president of the United States make in modern times," McCain, a Vietnam veteran and former prisoner of war, told Fox News. "We are the dominant superpower, and we're the greatest force for good in the history of this country, and I thank God every day that we are a dominant superpower."

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This could also be directed to the likes of Ron Paul that advocate a more isolationist approach. Seriously, I think you should be a little less hard on Obama, he isn't evil, nor stupid. I mean, if you didn't know it was Obama, could you see the point he was trying to make? I don't know, I just think the hating is way overblown from my position.

Anyway, most people would agree with the statement below. Especially true (not neocon) conservatives like Buchanan and Paul would take it much farther. Seems like Obama is stating an unfortunate truth:

"It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower, and when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them," Obama said. "And that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure."

Do we really want to go back to the days of 'cowboy diplomacy?'

But beyond that, watch this and tell me what you would be saying if this was Obama. This just totally proves how hypocritical the feigned anger truly is. I dare you to watch this and explain how you could vote for this guy if what you are saying is truly how you feel.

Best,
Skunknuts

P.S. McCain is also saying we should 'pull the trigger' on Iran. I mean, for real, ANOTHER war?! Come on. Republicans are even starting to mention that he seems especially unbalanced these days. He is likely under tremendous stress due to his being challenged from the right by JD Hayworth. McCain even claimed he never represented himself as a maverick. Quite frankly, although he used to be an iconoclast withing the GOP, I don't give much credence to Mr. 'country-first' these days.

[edit on 4/15/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ah, but don't you get it? Whether you like it or not, America is a super power. Some things are just self-explanatory, don'tchathink?

There's just something about a Harvard man. Sigh.....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The man is speaking at a nuclear summit. Where is the pride?

If I strain my brain long enough I can understand the gist that he is getting at but this is really unacceptable. The POTUS needs to be a rock of conviction not a soft and smelly sponge of indecisiveness.

Once again he is a representative of the United States and its people. I can assure anyone that the majority of our nation does not agree with that statement. We are a superpower and we are proudly responsible for everything that it entails politically, militarily and socially. Shouldn't other nations look up to us for inspiration? That is what I grew up believing!!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If America continues down this path of financial irresponsibility and entitlements, then it wont be a superpower for long.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

What country does Obama think he is the President of? Honestly, this is just disgusting. Would he prefer to buck us back to a 3rd world mega power wielding sticks and stones?

Um, it's obvious your a Repub. What's funny is how you Repubs forget that this entire catastrophe of the "US way of life" was a result of a certain Republican leader.

Did you forget how the Bush Admin ran the country? They were pissing "superpower" on everyone, or at least attempting too, however their intelligence failed them in Iraq, as it failed them in their heads.

Get your acts together Repubs.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by BoSock]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoSock

What country does Obama think he is the President of? Honestly, this is just disgusting. Would he prefer to buck us back to a 3rd world mega power wielding sticks and stones?

Um, it's obvious your a Repub. What's funny is how you Repubs forget that this entire catastrophe of the "US way of life" was a result of a certain Republican leader.

Did you forget how the Bush Admin ran the country? They were pissing "superpower" on everyone, or at least attempting too, however their intelligence failed them in Iraq, as it failed them in their heads.

Get your acts together Repubs.

Assume Much?
So we were not a super power before Bush was in office? Nice attempt to derail. Bush is gone, time to move on and better yet wake up before reality slaps you in the face.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Am I the only one who doesn't think what he said is a problem? "Where's the pride"? WTF are you talking about? He speaks with great pride for this country all the time!

John McCain and the rest of the Republicans are CONSTANTLY looking for anything that comes out of Obama's mouth to attack and pick part and criticize. And unfortunately, people are quick to flock to the criticism as if Obama pulled his pants down and crapped on the flag.

In a little-noticed remark...

It's a little-noticed remark because there's not a damn thing wrong with noting the advantages and disadvantages of being a world superpower today.

Give me a freaking break!

What he said is entirely true. There are responsibilities that come with being a superpower. Responsibilities that aren't always peaches and cream. If someone can't understand that, they're just willfully ignorant.

Shame on you, jibeho, for slurping up the crap that fox news pours out! You're smarter than that!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Am I the only one who doesn't think what he said is a problem? "Where's the pride"? WTF are you talking about? He speaks with great pride for this country all the time!

Who cares whether Obama has pride or not. Pride is more of a vice than a virtue. Whether or not we call America a superpower is entirely irrelevant. It is what it is.

And yes you are probably in the vast majority if you think what he said is not a problem. Obama threads have clearly taken a long leap toward trivial irrelevance and ill-researched hoaxes (the recent Obama hoax thread in specific).

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I keep spinning this in my head and unable to see how this is a negative comment...sorry, but this might be soo far off the radar to the right that I cannot simply see it.....this to me is also like saying

We are in charge, weather we like it or not, so its up to us to lead wisely.

You know what...some people may NOT want to be the military superforce on earth...some may NOT want to have responsibility in how things tick halfway across the world...but we do, and thats just the facts.

If you find this general obvious realization as a sign of weakness...pointing out the obvious...then you are in fact saying America is weak for being this...which makes no sense.

Whether or not you like it, Obama is in charge and clearly practical.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BoSock

I like how you just attacked republicans, and didn't even address the issue at hand: Obama seemingly does not have pride in The United States of America. Bush was a bad president, but you cannot keep justifying the wrong-doing of Obama with that fact. Every politician, right or left, should be held accountable for their actions.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
reply to post by BoSock

I like how you just attacked republicans, and didn't even address the issue at hand: Obama seemingly does not have pride in The United States of America. Bush was a bad president, but you cannot keep justifying the wrong-doing of Obama with that fact. Every politician, right or left, should be held accountable for their actions.

I like how you have no proof of your assertion of Obama not having pride in the US. I see nothing but the opposite, despite the propaganda from the people that truly hate what America is about. I mean the best they have are hoaxes about Obama wanting to change the national anthem and having attended flag burnings, what a joke....

I don't know about you, but I'm proud of my country and its democratically elected commander in chief.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Anyway, I'm sure people taking offense to Obama's statement would never vote for someone who said the following while auditioning to be president:

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Assume Much?
So we were not a super power before Bush was in office? Nice attempt to derail. Bush is gone, time to move on and better yet wake up before reality slaps you in the face.

Here's reality. Your prez isn't a Commie. Nor he's he attempting to send your country in shambles. It was put in that state by the people you trust.

Reality has slapped you in the face, and I believe you need more than just a slap.

Edit, and before you take that as a threat, it is not, it is that reality needs to really hit you more often than not.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

No, there will most likely be a few other obama sycophants on here that also NEVER find ANYTHING wrong with what obama says or does.

John McCain and the rest of the Republicans are CONSTANTLY looking for anything that comes out of Obama's mouth to attack and pick part and criticize.

If so, then obama himself is guilty of creating such a "target rich environment" with all that he says and does.

And unfortunately, people are quick to flock to the criticism as if Obama pulled his pants down and crapped on the flag.

To many of us, that's exactly what obama, in effect, is doing.

In a little-noticed remark...

It's a little-noticed remark because there's not a damn thing wrong with noting the advantages and disadvantages of being a world superpower today.

Give me a freaking break!

Perhaps "little noticed" is the wrong phrase. I think "under-reported by the state-controlled MSM" fits much better.

What he said is entirely true. There are responsibilities that come with being a superpower. Responsibilities that aren't always peaches and cream. If someone can't understand that, they're just willfully ignorant.

It's hardly a sign of ignorance to also remember what else obama has said and then link all those statements together to note the policies and trends.

Shame on you, jibeho, for slurping up the crap that fox news pours out! You're smarter than that!

Instead, shame on you for never failing to play the sycophant role for obama (and I don't know how you get away with it).

[edit on 4/15/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211Instead, shame on you for never failing to play the sycophant role for obama

You clearly don't know what sycophant means. Look it up.

I seek no favor. I am stating my opinion, not trying to please anyone. And I get no advantage whatsoever from defending him. If you're going to use big words, look them up to be sure you know what they mean.

(and I don't know how you get away with it).

Get away with it? Is there some kind of rule I'm breaking? Speak up.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211Instead, shame on you for never failing to play the sycophant role for obama

You clearly don't know what sycophant means. Look it up.

I seek no favor. I am stating my opinion, not trying to please anyone. And I get no advantage whatsoever from defending him. If you're going to use big words, look them up to be sure you know what they mean.

On seeking no favor, who can tell if you fit the definition of the word? Still, it would seem reasonable to expect you to not agree with at least something obama says - sooner or later - unless you do truly believe he's perfect (the "M" word ...).

(and I don't know how you get away with it).

Get away with it? Is there some kind of rule I'm breaking? Speak up.

No, you said that to me awhile back about some rule you apparently thought I was breaking, so I tweak you with it in return from time to time ...

On the superpower comment by obama, I (and apparently many others) believe only someone WITHOUT America's best interests at heart would say such a thing. Granted the U.S. has faults, but someone has to lead, and who else would any freedom loving person choose THAT WOULD BE WILLING OR ABLE TO STEP UP AND TAKE THAT LEAD?

And without superpower status, none of what we call the U.S. or the rest of the free world would be here very long. The bright light and heat of the campfire that keeps the creatures of the night at bay, if you will.

[edit on 4/15/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

And yet another statement by our fearless leader that makes him appear weak. If he is not apologizing or bowing, he is uttering nonsense.

In a little-noticed remark at the close of the two-day nuclear security summit in Washington, D.C., this week, President Obama suggested the United States is somehow burdened by its military might -- a comment that drew a stern rebuke from his former rival in the presidential campaign.

Obama was responding to a question Tuesday about how the summit would play into peace-making efforts in the Middle East when he addressed the downsides of -- by virtue of America's world stature -- being obligated to intervene in international conflicts.

The remark got little attention in mainstream coverage of the summit, but was picked up on several conservative blogs, which panned the president for suggesting Americans had grown weary of superpower status.

What country does Obama think he is the President of? Honestly, this is just disgusting. Would he prefer to buck us back to a 3rd world mega power wielding sticks and stones? I think he is preparing to hand over the Super Power reins to China at the request of George Soros.

John McCain sums it up like him or not

"That's one of the more incredible statements I've ever heard a president of the United States make in modern times," McCain, a Vietnam veteran and former prisoner of war, told Fox News. "We are the dominant superpower, and we're the greatest force for good in the history of this country, and I thank God every day that we are a dominant superpower."

www.foxnews.com...

Hey there! In my opinion, Obama has for the most part, towed the line Bush knotted in place during his two terms. He truly says one thing and does another. He is not bringing troops home, defending the borders or upholding the constitution in any way by renewing patriot act provisions.

Regardless of "posturing" the end result we have experienced with presidents, both democrat and republican has been corrosive to sovereign citizens and the safeguards that were put in place to keep government in check. The actors are interesting, but the movie is the same old thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Listen. Hush up already. Can't you see the more Obama opens his mouth the more he puts his foot into it.

Just let him run his suck and the Repubs will be in like Flynn. S&F

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/008d47b3934d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Mr. Obama does not like that the United States is a Superpower, and is doing everything he can to put an end to our Superpower status.

Not only does he want to "spread the wealth" among US citizens, he wants to do the same among the countries of the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join