It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two VERY Strange NUFORC Reports

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Wide-Eyes.....

That's a good point to make.....

.....there perception of time could have been altered, if the event was real.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by samureyed

Samureyed.....

Thanks again for posting this interesting case.

Could they simply have confused the names of the 2 locations when they submitted the report to NUFORC?

Once again, without meeting the witnesses face to face, inspecting the site & vehicle personally, etc... it's extremely difficult to ultimately "know" in one's own mind what happened.

Whilst I reside on the "critical" side of the UFO debate, that is not to say I'm an "unbeliever".

Our default position shouldn't be to instantly write off every single account such as this, but with all the hoaxing, wild imaginations, rabid believers, etc... it's hard not to.

However by doing that, we will write off that "1 in a million" event that might really happen.

So what do I currently think about this particular case?

I think that on balance it's a hoax, but I will continue to hope that some sort of other evidence, witness testimony from a 3rd party, etc... will be forthcoming.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

It's very important that significant reports, such as these, are brought to the attention of a wider audience. All too often there is a lack of detail...not the case here. Even more so, the human element of emotion is absent...again, not the case here. The moment when he describes the 'boogers coming out of her nose'...well...what can I say? That's human drama right there.

Many who read this traumatic account will be sleeping with the lights on tonight. A chilling case indeed...

Edit: Dry humour alert!

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Kandinsky]

I was reading away already with the feeling of BS and then like you saw the fantastic "she had boogers coming out of her nose" and I just chuckled and at that point just gave up on the reports

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Just a thought for you:

The damage described sounds like the car did fall from a height and that would set the airbags off.

Is there anywhere in the vicinity that they could have driven off the edge of something, like a builders mound of dirt or somthing?

Perhaps they were being idiots and drove off a ramp of some sort, sounds like fun until you get too much air and come down with a thump

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

That's what I was thinking:

This kid is trying to hot shot it, jumps a ramp, bottoms out, would cause the windshield to crack and the airbags to deploy, the girl hangs on for dear life and leaves the her thumb print.

But here's hoping it was Aliens.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
to me it sounds like a made up story to hide
the fact that somebody wrecked the car
and then blamed it on Aliens.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I think they probably used aliens as an excuse for wrecking the car. The two reports are totally inconsistent. "D" says that the windshield cracked from the one side to the other, and then popped out. "E" said the windshield cracked, but ONLY on one side (and does not mention it popping out). Also, as mentioned, "E" says they were driving around first but "D" says they couldn't get anywhere. "E" even says she got pulled up against the windshield and i think "D" said they got pulled out through it.

The only question is why the *beep* they chose to blame aliens for their bad driving skills

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

My impression is that these were written by the same person. They definitely read that way. For example, they both use well constructed sentences that end in a period (almost never an exclamation point or anything else). They both spell "OK" in all capitals. They both use about the same number of words to describe the incident. They both use paragraphs of roughly the same size. While grammatical mistakes are rare, those mistakes which are present are basically the same types of mistakes in both of them. They both end with a short "clincher." They both use hyphens - like this - to describe things, with a space before and after it. And the list goes on. Also, a previous replier's point that the moon was not actually out that night seems like a pretty good point to make.

If you ask me, two teenagers drove out to some place (probably in Laconia), had a little too much fun, did something stupid and crashed the car. When they brought the car back, the parents naturally got upset, and called the police. The teens then tried to cover for what they did by coming up with a UFO abduction story. One of them, either the boyfriend or the girlfriend, quickly went to nuforc.org and typed up these accounts, so that they could show them to the police / parents / friends in order to try to convince them that the stories were true.

That's my best guess, anyway. Interesting reports in any case.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Magnus47]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Twenty-two years ago, some very strange and frightening things happened in Australia, according to Associated Press reports emanating from Sydney, and -- to my knowledge -- the integrity of these events was never discredited. Based solely upon AP reports, the story developed as follows. . .

At about 2:45 a.m. on a Wednesday in January, 1988 Faye Knowles, driving, and her three sons (brothers Sean and Wayne are pictured here, both having confirmed their mother's story) were proceeding on a lonely outback highway through the Nullabor Plain from Perth in western Australia, when she spotted a glowing object through her rear window.

In an attempt to escape pursuit by what seemed an egg-shaped object, Knowles accelerated to speeds approaching 120 m.p.h. However, the UFO easily paced the automobile and ultimately, according to Sgt. Jim Furnell of the Ceduna Police, "apparently picked the car up off the road, shook it quite violently and forced the car back with such pressure that one of the tires was blown." Knowles' vehicle was left facing the direction from which it had come.

Apparently associated with the incident was a layer of a black powdery ashen substance found inside and outside of the car, and forensic scientists were scheduled to take samples. But, as in the best detective thrillers, there was more to the story.

First, a tuna boat crew 50 miles away in a water area known as the Great Australia Bight -- a crew whose members had absolutely no contact with the Knowles family -- reported being buzzed by a bright object just minutes after the Knowles incident. "We were a little bit skeptical at first," continued Furnell, "but after investigating, we are treating the reports very seriously."

Second, and this was a particular point of interest to me because sound was involved, both the Knowles family and tuna fishermen noted similarly bizarre effects in the presence of a strange object. Explained Furnell, "While this was happening, the (Knowles) family said their voices were distorted and it was as if they were talking in slow motion." In the tuna boat, crew members' voices became "unintelligible" during the object's presence.

robert-barrow.blogspot.com...

The debunkers went into overdrive on this case in short order. In fact, the Knowles family were ridiculed and openly described as 'retarded' by a number of radio-hosts and journalists

Yet police who examined the car and its occupants treated the matter in utmost seriousness

That there was a concerted campaign to discredit the family is beyond doubt

Getting back to the Australian events: A Royal Australian Air Force base representative in Edinburgh claimed he wasn't aware of any military aircraft in the area during the encounters. Still, instant explanations weren't to be avoided because the media, as usual, went running to the nearest skeptical astronomer for a feel-good moment and, as usual, this expert was more than happy to oblige, with his version of events anxiously lapped up by the media a week later.

Charles Morgan of the Sydney Observatory postulated a "carbonous meteorite shower" as the culprit (!) which would explain the ash and the Knowles' report of a "smell of dead bodies" inside the car. He also indicated the possibility of a sonic boom associated with such an event, which might explain the hearing difficulties. Acknowledging that some "unexplained phenomenon" might instead be responsible, Morgan nevertheless went on to suggest that the tire blew because the driver became frightened, drove off the road, hit a bump and became airborne.
(sound familiar ?)

robert-barrow.blogspot.com...

I'll have a scout around and see if I can find a fuller account than this, from the perspective of the Knowles family. For instance, in the newspaper reports at the time, the family said their dogs reacted very strongly to the object which pursued and lifted the car

Meanwhile, to read the full article, please refer to link

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Link to Los Angeles Times article, dated 1988

articles.latimes.com...

Associated Press article, dated 1988

www.mimicmedia.com...

Both above articles are brief, but confirm that the incident was reported across the globe

www.textfiles.com...

Here's a snippit which illustrates how the Knowles were discredited and very swiftly silenced

EXAMPLES OF RIDICULE:

A famous UFO case here in Australia: 1978, the Knowles family are driving across the Nullabor plain. They see a light, the object chases them, lands on the roof of the car, the car is lifted from the road, drops, tires blowout, vehicle is ditched.
A TERRIFYING EXPERIENCE.

Other witnesses were around, boats off the coast apparently saw lights too. People who saw it did not come forward. The case got huge media attention at first, some investigators from America came out as well. Part of the evidence was a fine powder all over the car.

Later, one TV show in particular had the Knowles family on, but the show turned it into a joke. The family were not laughing. That same host won an award for our most popular TV personality. You have a TV program in the USA called "SIGHTINGS" which used that interview in a story about the Knowles case, showing their mistreatment. It's a shame that our own media weren't as kind

ufosnmw.tripod.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

UFO Terrorizes Australian Family

This is the only case suggestive of the sucking up of a vehicle by a UFO without it being a hoax. A little before sunrise on January 21, 1988 the Knowles family was driving along the Eyre Highway in southern Australia. After making a swerve so as to avoid colliding with a first UFO which was in position above the highway the Knowles passed a car over which was flying a second UFO.

Return To View Unknown Not Wise Decision

The son, who was driving, decided to turn around and to begin a chase. Having caught up again with the vehicle, still with the UFO flying above it, he realised that this UFO was now flying in his direction, with the result that he turned round again and accelerated away. The Knowles were now travelling at more than 100 miles per hour in their attempt to escape from the UFO.

Escape Attempt Proves Futile

The UFO caught up with them and came down hard on top of the car with a dull thud. One can reasonably think that the UFO was exerting at that moment a magnetic field of sufficient intensity to magnetise the roof of the car and stick to it. Inside the vehicle the passengers seemed to be speaking in slow motion and one of the three sons had the impression that his brain was being removed from his head.

Efforts To Leave Highway Unsuccessful

The driver tried to leave the road but the steering seemed to be jammed, as if the UFO was forcing the magnetised vehicle to continue in a straight line. It was then that the car rose up before falling back down heavily.

Car Tire Becomes Casualty

The rear tire on the right hand side burst on impact with the asphalt. The driver then regained control of the steering and succeeded in stabilising the vehicle and bringing it to a standstill. There were no victims in this incident.

Family Member Actually Touches UFO

Faye Knowles had the time to lower her window and look at this shining white light, yellow at the centre, and to touch the underside, which felt like a hot sponge. After these events, a bump remained behind on the roof of the car.

Strange Dust Residue Undergoes Analysis

Analysis of the dust found there showed the presence of oxygen, carbon, calcium, silicon, potassium, and perhaps also of astate, a radioactive element of synthetic origin. The witnesses, who did not maintain their anonymity, were broadly ridiculed by the Australian media.

hubpages.com...

The above is a fuller account (albeit different in some details than the initial and more brief accounts which whizzed around the world shortly after the news broke)

Those interested in viewing the Nullabor Plain will find two unremarkable photos by scrolling down at the above link

The Nullabor is vast (as in 'very') and virtually uninhabited. There have been numerous reports of UFO sightings by those who've travelled the Nullabor, particularly long-distance truck drivers, although I've read that they don't bother reporting their experiences to the media and particularly not after witnessing the way in which the Knowels family was treated (aka 'discredited and silenced')

I'll keep looking for more information, although it's suprisingly scant, online. Guess in a few more years, the entire story will disappear and be forgotten, as intended

Anyway, the Knowles family was comprised of the middle-aged mother and her three adult sons. I remember the family spoke about the way their dogs reacted to the incident but haven't come across it as yet. If I do, I'll post it

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

21 January 1988 04:30 - Nullabor Plain, Western Australia, Australia - Car levitated, dropped back to ground bursting one tire. When lifted mother rolled down window and touched UFO! It felt warm, spongy, possibly a suction pad. Bad smell, damage, dogs highly agitated.

www.ufodna.com...

At last we at least have mention here of the Knowles' family's dogs. Knew I hadn't imagined them

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

1988 - The four member Knowles family was driving on the Nullabor Plain west of Mundrabilla in Western Australia at around 4:30 a.m. when their car started being paced by a mysterious light. It followed them for nearly 90 minutes.

The close encounter took a dramatic turn when the UFO buzzed the car from behind and somehow lifted it from the road. The car was airborne a few feet above the ground for a short period, then was dropped back onto the highway surface, causing the tires to pop.

The UFO had a bright yellow light in the center and looked like the sketch below. The "egg-cup" shaped object then flew off. The car had dents and scratches on the roof, and their luggage that had been strapped to the roof was gone. An ash residue was also found inside the car. (Sources: Pat Delgado, FSR, June 1988, p. 1; Richard Hall, The UFO Evidence (Volume 2): A Thirty Year Report, pp. 30, 205, 276).

www.ufoinfo.com...

So, little additional details to be found in various snippits online, if one's prepared to dig and enter various search-terms. Although considering the millions of words both printed and spoken about the incident at the time, you could be excused for wondering why it's so difficult now to find all the details in dozens of online sources. Not as if it happened a 100 years ago, is it ? I mean, there are most probably millions of online sources containing information about Paris Hilton

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
www.ufodna.com...

Interesting site

gives Hynek rating for the Nullabor incident

gives Vallee rating for the same incident

Provides other UFO incidents in the same area

and Google map reference

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

There was a family from Perth,western Australia,The knowles family,1 Mother,3 sons It was 21 January 1988 and they were driving in a 1984 Ford Telstar,4 door to Melbourne.they were driving along when at about 5am they saw a really bright light flying towards their car.There was also a car towing a caravan approaching them.the object in the sky past overhead the car and caravan and past the Ford.Shortly afterwards another car passed them with the same object buzzing that car.Sean the driver of the Ford did a u turn and began driving towards the light in the sky to see what it was,the light turned and started to a approach their car,Sean turned again and headed in the direction of Melbourne.It was then that the vehicle was bathed in light and there was a high pitched sound,then there was a thumping sound and something was pulling the car off the road up into the air.There was a smell like of burnt dust and the occupants next recollection is that the car was dropped back down on the roadd,they got out of the car and ran and hid behind some bushes.

The ufo left,Some how one of their car tires had blown so they fixed it and they drove on to the nearest stop which was the Mundrabilla Roadhouse in a remote part of Western Australia, well before Eucla and Ceduna which are in South Australia.They did not report the incident until they got to Ceduna.

Apparently dent marks could be seen on the cars roof and the whole car was covered in a fine black dust,the dust got in the car as well. Their car was left in Adelaide where it underwent examination on the 1st of February,they continued on to Melbourne minus their car.

Apparently the car was sold shortly after to some investigators unbeknown to the family.The same car has come up for sale since then and attracted quite allot of attention.

Tried to copy the link, but it's a dodgy site which I wouldn't recommend clicking on

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

At some point the family felt that the UFO had returned and had landed on their vehicle. They heard a clunking sound and felt that the car was being pushed down by a weight that rested on top of it.

By now the family was understandably frightened, and the following events are difficult to unravel in retrospect. The family believed that the car was lifted above the road, though none of them were able to estimate for how long or how high. Mrs Knowles wound down a rear window and reached for the roof. She felt something soft and rubbery that was hot but did not burn her hand, and when she brought her hand back into the car she found it covered in a blackish dust. This event caused a panic in the rest of the family. Patrick wound down his window, only to be covered in the fine dust, which was accompanied by a foul smell that was likened to dead bodies. A high-pitched sound was then heard, which sent the dogs into a frenzy. The family became disoriented and felt that their voices had become slower, and lower in pitch. They believed at this point that they were going to die. Patrick said that he felt that his ‘brain was being sucked out’, and Mrs Knowles likened it to having something ‘going into our heads’.

A while later, the family felt the car forced back down onto the road, bursting the rear right tyre. Sean brought the car to a sudden stop and then blacked out. The family left the car hurriedly and hid in some bushes by the side of the road. They remained there for 15 minutes before changing the tyre and continuing on to the nearest town.

The above is an excerpt from the fullest account I've managed to find
and which is most similar to the newspaper articles in the week following the event

It continues:

Unknown to the Knowles’, a truck driver, Mr Graham Henley also saw, at the same time and in the same area, a strange light in his rear view mirror.

He described as being like a strong spotlight and like a ‘big fried egg hung upside down”. He kept the object in view for 5 minutes and did not see any car headlights beneath it.

Shortly after Henley pulled into Mundrabilla, he saw the Knowles’ car arrive, and was confronted by the frightened family all trying to describe their experience. He looked over their car and confirmed the presence of black ash in various areas, both inside and on the exterior of the vehicle, and likened it to fine silicon sand with a burnt odour to it. He also noted four indents in the roof of the car and the damaged tyre. Henley and two of his friends also surveyed the scene of the incident, finding skid marks, footprints and tread tracks that they felt confirmed the Knowles account of their incident.

To see entire article, here's the link:

www.ufoevidence.org...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This part kind of threw me off and also made me laugh my head off:

" My girlfriend was scared and she had boogers coming out of her nose while I was cursing."

THIS is what he remembered during this whole ordeal? Just strikes me as odd.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Puresilence
This part kind of threw me off and also made me laugh my head off:

" My girlfriend was scared and she had boogers coming out of her nose while I was cursing."

THIS is what he remembered during this whole ordeal? Just strikes me as odd.

Yet, in a funny way, it does lend a little credibility to the guy's story. me dear old dad was involved in WW2, he was commanding a Tank Landing craft on D Day. I've never forgotten him telling me this.

It's D Day, a pretty amazing thing to be part of and he was first in onto the beach in his LCT. A sizable shell hits his ward room just as he is about to open the door to it. The door comes off in his hand and you know what his first thought was and his abiding memory of nearly getting blown to pieces is?

"Damn, my new coat is hanging on the back of the door, it cost me quite a few bob and now I bet it's ruined".

So, when these sort of thing happen to people, they do tend to remember the strangest of things, that from the outside, seem, totally out of context. So the "boogers" comment, maybe, suggests they are not just making it up.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I saw this page:

Two teens in New Hampshire claim they were sitting innocently in their
car, when a UFO levitated their entire vehicle, moved it 180 feet, then
dropped it. The car does look beaten up. But was it aliens? Here's their
story.

The airship is lifted up from above.
Aren't we all.

Well the pressure wave lifts up nearby object underneath like
dirt, water or car and even Travis Walton knocking him unconscious.
And be know the FBI story of how he got probed an all.
But he did see three types of Tesla ships and the base.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Without at least being able to interview the witnesses connected to any UFO report, speculation on the truth or untruth of the report is completely useless. Contacting the local police is a good start. That's something an investigator would do. But so far nobody even knows whether the reports were written by one person or two.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join