It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
From the same site that is giving out increased activity from Katla ashalerts.com... we also have this

BREAKING: “Heavy gritty particles” recorded during test flights at 2,5km according to BBC
ashalerts.com... g/

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Wobbly Anomaly]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Katla seismic records-

Great thing to post next, glad you've been watching that.

I have a similar report from there, taken just 30mins later showing a further sharp increase.

I don't know how often it updates, so it's worth sitting on perhaps.
Don't even need to speculate - there's hard data to keep an eye on there.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

The ash is NOT invisible. Here in Scotland no one is washing their cars as the dust will settle back within a few hours if the ash cloud continues and it will mean washing it again. It is a very very fine sandy coloured dust, uniformly distributed and when you wipe it it disappears on your finger. I have not seen dust like it ever before. On the night of the main explosion I took my dogs out and they came back with a cough which went on all night. I thought I would have to take them to the vets it was so bad. I have also noticed I am using my inhaler more as I have asthma. It is real and falling to earth.... The Katla predictions as noted above are very ominous!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The ash on my car (black color paintwork) is a mixture of even ash and 'strings' of very fine ash.

As if they fell as particles linked by electrostatic forces like fine spider's webs.

They are not straight either, but have little half circles along them.

On the windscreen which was washed prior to the downfall, as well as on the body. (so it's not wind turbulence during driving causing the effect).

Car had been parked up and stationary, with very very light or no wind to disturb the falling ash.

Location - 10miles West of Heathrow airport.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

DITO, exactly as you describe, my car and others have the same uniformed look. As you, I had not been driving overnight, the car was sparklingly clean the night before but the next morning it had this ash on it. It seems to me to be very light in weight?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Is it the photo from this post?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceSilence
No more airplanes = no more pollution

Actually "no planes = no aircraft pollution". We'll be using other transportation methods more which = more other pollution.

[edit on 18/4/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
"Is it the photo from this post? "

Yes.

Embeds elsewhere, but not here.
Tried numerous times.

May be a script problem.

I had no issue posting a video for instance, so it's not perhaps a 'user issue'.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
news.xinhuanet.com...

REYKJAVIK, April 18 (Xinhua) -- Icelandic geologists predicted that volcanic eruption in the Eyjafjallajokull glacier would not last too long, it might end within hours or days, according to the local reports on Sunday.

Not much for details.....

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
pprune is still down.

I hold with keeping this ATS thread alive and kicking with the best contributors.

A chance for you you all to shine.

Facts are like gold dust.
Reasoned opinion also.

I was very impressed with the analysis of the Norway Spiral, and how quickly the collective here found the truth.

This is far more important.

Cold hard reality.

Good work to do here.

Post your best stuff.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thank you for starting this thread! I always find it amazing how little we hear on the news. I'm still waiting for the big one to blow. I wonder how many countries will be affected then??

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Waiting2]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Looks like the ash cloud is heading to Newfoundland, Canada now. Several airlines have canceled flights.

Flights scrapped as Iceland ash heads to N.L.
www.cbc.ca...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I agree, that is an excellent question. The timing of the meteorite crash and closing of air space do seem to be highly synchronous. The next question this leads to is: if the closing of air space was related to the meteorite crash, why was the USA air space not closed as well?

Aelf

Originally posted by McGinty

Originally posted by podianna
Meteorite crashes into southwestern Wisconsin, USA on Thursday 15th April at 03:34 BST. You've seen the footage, quite amazing. No crash site found though, hmmm....

04:00 BST 'NATS' UK's air traffic controllers shuts down Scottish airspace, quickly followed nationally.

Wisconsin is on the North East seaboard of the USA, nearer Iceland.

Is their anything to make of this ?

Nice work and excellent question. I hope someone has an excellent answer.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Article putting emphasis on the fact that it is the weather, more than the volcano, that is really behind the european flight disruption (of course though, we all know it is both: the volcano and the weather pattern ;-)

"In defence of the volcano

Robert Peston | 09:37 UK time, Monday, 19 April 2010

The closure of much of Europe's airspace is beginning to bite in many ways.

TUI Travel, the leading holiday travel group which owns Thomson and First Choice, has become the first company to estimate the losses it is incurring from the grounding of flights. Up to yesterday, it says the costs have been £20m - and that the daily expense is between £5m and £6m.

You'll find it increasingly difficult to buy roses, since most of them this time of year are flown from Kenya.

And you may find, like the family Peston, that your kids are being given the day off school, because substantial numbers of teachers can't get home from their holidays.

But it is time that someone defended the battered reputation of the erupting Icelandic volcano.

Because all reports to the contrary, it isn't the volcano that has grounded our aircraft; it's the weather that has done the damage."

continued: www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Here is another quote from the above article (I comment afterwards):

"They (airline bosses) point out that there are other live volcanoes in the world. But when they belch out ash, they don't bring air transport to a standstill.

The airlines tell me they are quite habituated to flying round ash clouds.

So why is this cloud apparently so much bigger and more dangerous?

Well it's because of the unusual weather conditions that are causing it to spread over some of the busiest flying lanes in the world.

Also, and here's what may tickle a few of you, the official view of the extent and location of the cloud, its geography, is a computer simulation by the Met Office.

Airline executives can't resist telling me that this is the same Met Office which last year told us to prepare for that blistering BBQ summer which turned out to be something rather cold and damp."

So although it is quite common for airlines to have their planes fly around ash clouds, this time the unusual weather conditions have blown the ash cloud over major flying lanes. Even though (and repeating again) that airlines are used to flying around ash clouds, a computer simulation by the Met Office is felt to be required to track the ash clouds (that, once again, the airlines are 'quite habituated to flying round'). Does everyone see this inconsistancy? Why do we even need computer simulations if ash clouds are visible enough for all the airlines to fly their planes around?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
i live near elstree aerodrome/london, and its not true that planes are not flying. I went there yesterday with my kids and saw 5 planes taking off and 2 landing. planes did not have an issue flying. These were small 2-10 seat planes with propellors, but its interesting that planes are able to fly low level.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Locals Believe Katla Volcano in Iceland Near Eyjafjallajokull Will Erupt in Seven Days

Looks like we really do need to be keeping a close eye on Katla:

"The eruptions and ash disturbance from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano might be waking up its neighbor, Katla. If this is the case, the results could be globally devastating. Activity at Katla has risen 200% in the last two days.

The earthquake build up since the beginning of the year and subsequent eruptions at Eyjafjallajokull seem to be triggering the larger neighboring volcano, Katla. For the last two days, Katla has shown a dramatic 200% rise in activity. Geophysicists at Iceland’s Institute of Earth Sciences
call Katla a vicious volcano that will be locally and globally damaging."

continued: scienceray.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Aelfrede

Well, lets hope that is an ATS type of doom that comes and goes....

thanks for the update...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I hope so too.

If it does happen, I just hope the 'unusual weather patterns' don't continue.

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by Aelfrede

Well, lets hope that is an ATS type of doom that comes and goes....

thanks for the update...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrenarsenal
i live near elstree aerodrome/london, and its not true that planes are not flying. I went there yesterday with my kids and saw 5 planes taking off and 2 landing. planes did not have an issue flying. These were small 2-10 seat planes with propellors, but its interesting that planes are able to fly low level.

Some planes are allowed to fly back to their base. No Passangers, low on fuel, low in the sky...

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join