It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

not sure if this was posted yet nightmarish face in ash seen from space

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger28

yeah, was mentioned before somewhere, next to one of these freaky paintings in Denver's airport.
What an eerie coincidence that Munch's painting was inspired by the blood red skies caused by the powerful volcanic eruption of Krakatoa in 1883...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This may be off topic here, but I have a quick question- without displaying intricate details of my life story, etc., I was wondering if those of you within the North European region have had an unhealthy lifestyle (ex- smoking, drinking, pharmaceuticals, etc.)?

This may seem completely contradictory to my favorite site ATS, and the array of health conscious people on here (you go guys!
), but the reason I ask is because I wonder if all of the 'toxins' which some of us unhealthier types put into our bodies all the time may actually end up saving our lives.

For example, being that Ive been on medication since I was 16 years old, and living quite the party life- I have noticed that when I am with others in a 'polluted' airspace I am the least likely to be affected by it. I assume this is because my body has grown accustomed to it.

Now, I know that no one has voluntarily been inhaling volcanic ash all their lives to prevent harm from exposure when a real volcano errupts, but I ask for my own simple psychoanalysis. By no means am I condoning an 'unhealthy' life. Its simply an ever present question Ive been wrestling with in my mind. Id love your input!

When Mithridates VI was at last defeated by Pompey and in danger of capture by Rome, he is alleged to have attempted suicide by poison; this attempt failed, however, because of his immunity to the poison.[8][9] According to Appian's Roman History, he then made his Gaul bodyguard and friend, Bituitus, kill him by the sword:

Mithridates then took out some poison that he always carried next to his sword, and mixed it. There two of his daughters, who were still girls growing up together, named Mithridates and Nyssa, who had been betrothed to the kings of [Ptolemaic] Egypt and of Cyprus, asked him to let them have some of the poison first, and insisted strenuously and prevented him from drinking it until they had taken some and swallowed it. The drug took effect on them at once; but upon Mithridates, although he walked around rapidly to hasten its action, it had no effect, because he had accustomed himself to other drugs by continually trying them as a means of protection against poisoners. These are still called the Mithridatic drugs.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nowayreally

Well oddly I was just saying to somebody a few minutes ago that I couldn't smell anything of the volcano. Others in Scotland and UK claim to smell the sulphur, but I was saying that because I live in the shadow of an oil and chemical complex probably my sense of smell has been rendered useless.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nowayreally

Our body adapts to any circumstance, so people used to breath less oxygen can feel less the effects, but as ashes are solid pieces of rock it will affect more than just normal pollution.

If there is a high concentration of silica (which I doubt) silicosis may be a real problem.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is ash on the roof of my car in S England. Note the weird shapes it makes as if it came down electrostatically charged into filaments.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by ommadawn]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
This is ash on the roof of my car in S England. Note the weird shapes it makes as if it came down electrostatically charged into filaments.

I was looking foward to seeing this pic but its not working. Linked wrong?

I myself live in south london, if i notice anything unusal ill try get some pictures! Cars seem fine atm, abit dusty, dont think its ash though.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Fallen Ash -

Can't get the link to work, then I couldn't edit the post or delete it.

Try here

www.flickr.com...@N00/45*815/sizes/o/

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Last try, the system won't let me save edits, and is still messing around with the photo link.

Take off the quotes

"http://www.flickr.com/photos/77714529@N00/45*815/sizes/o/"

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
That didn't work either.

Can a moderator clean up my mess please, I don't appear to be able to delete my own.

Last last try

"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/45*815_9419f4587d_o.jpg"

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Is it this photo?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4530781815_9419f4587d_o_d.jpg

(just copy the above address and paste it on the browser)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

The amounts of it in the toothpaste are too low to cause any damage. Mercury is toxic but we still eat fish. Too much water can be toxic too and it's sold to us in high quantities.

CONSPIRACY!!!

[edit on 18/4/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hey, thanks for the feedback guys!!

I can definitely see the volcanic ash potentially being quite harmful, and dont intend to claim that anyone could be immune to its effects- I just always found this idea of subjection to poison as fascinating. I know many people that can take an antibiotic and get ill from it because their bodies are not used to foreign substances. Yet, Im so deranged I could probably down 3 percocets and have no effect whatsoever. It's been an ever increasing thought I ponder especially here on ATS where so much has been said about contamination of food supply, etc.

My heart goes out to all of you having to experience this natural disaster in whatever way!!

No ones body can be immune to the effects completely, as this is a somewhat new form of atmospheric properties for our specific generation. I just inquire as to why some may be more susceptible to its negative consequences than others. I know it is a little off topic, so thank you again for indulging me!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
Last try, the system won't let me save edits, and is still messing around with the photo link.

Take off the quotes

"http://www.flickr.com/photos/77714529@N00/45*815/sizes/o/"

Dust like this has been covering my cover each night for months now.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well, while the airports are still closed over here in Germany, I don't see, smell or feel anything at all. As yesterday, it is a beautiful sunny day.

Officials say, there is no danger to the people. But when would they ever say anything different. At least we have less pollution by airplanes.

It's odd, when I watch the sky... Reminds me a little to the oil crisis in 1973, when cars weren't allowed to drive on Sundays and you even could take a walk on the motorways. Wish, I could take a walk in the sky.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Siddharta]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Let the cloud of smoke surround all the planet and remain for at least 20 years.
No more airplanes = no more pollution, terrorist threats, maybe no more wars /killing by the fighter jets ( don't know how low/high the fighter jets fly) and no more threads about '' UFOs''.

Need to fly somewhere, bad luck!....take the train,car or bicycle. It's interesting and you''ll see a lot of interesting things.
Hell....look at the japan...the fastest trains, and not only there. Take the airplanes out of work and invest in trains!

Don't like what i said ? .....don't care!...take a walk...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
BBC reporting that the Airlines are fuming at the government for stopping them flying.

They say its costing them £1million every hour and they also say they don't believe there is any danger from the ash and they should be allowed to fly.

Even more annoying is that the EU are promising to make sure the airlines will pay compensation to passengers.

I can see this truning into a fiasco.

One spokesperson described it as the New Swine Flu and said it was all nonsence !

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Meteorite crashes into southwestern Wisconsin, USA on Thursday 15th April at 03:34 BST. You've seen the footage, quite amazing. No crash site found though, hmmm....

04:00 BST 'NATS' UK's air traffic controllers shuts down Scottish airspace, quickly followed nationally.

Wisconsin is on the North East seaboard of the USA, nearer Iceland.

Is their anything to make of this ?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by podianna

Since when is Wisconsin on the eastern seaboard of the USA? Every map is either wrong or WI isn't located there.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Apolgies, North East US

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join