It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
breaking news

The POTUS Obama has cancelled his trip to the Polish president's funeral due to the volcanic ash.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

The ash is too fine to show up on satellite images.

The thing I have not seen mentioned yet is what would happen if those two volcanoes do go into continuous eruption. The effect on Europe is obvious, but as far as I know, it potentially could affect the entire northern hemisphere. Massive ash clouds driven by jet stream currents could literally circle the earth and wreak havoc on North American air travel also.

The implications of this are just beyond comprehension from an economic standpoint. Even now people are just thinking about passengers, and forgetting the huge volume of air cargo and mail that is on every aircraft that makes a transatlantic crossing.

If it does continue, they are going to have to adopt Southern routes maybe out of Miami direct to airports like Athens and Istanbul and transport people to Europe by train. Also if I were management of a large cruise line, I would be pulling ships off of tourist cruises and filling them with passengers that are stuck on both sides of the Atlantic. I am certain that a huge passenger cruise ship sitting at port in Amsterdam would be booked solid in about 30 minutes with people who are more than tired of sleeping on airport floors.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Agreed. The public have been very well informed. Would'nt hurt then to produce a visual of said plane for the world too look at, seeing as how we live in an image driven media world !! Goes something like this, 'A group of 5 Finnish military jets on a routine flight on Thursday morning did'nt realise that they had flown through volcanic ash until they limped back too base and look, this is what it did to there engine' (PHOTO) !

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

If this turns out really bad, it would be almost like going back in time.

Suddenly ships and trains would be in high demand.

I wonder how this could affect airships or dirigibles?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Sat24 will give you some good info :
www.sat24.nl...

No large planes in the sky = no chemtrails
That means no manmade cloudcover.. We (in w-europe) can be sure of a few really nice cloudless days

That in mind it allmost makes you wish for more volcanoes to be active across the globe doesn't it

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Itsonlyme666

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. A few volcanoes start belching smoke and ash into the atmosphere and it could plunge the entire planet into an ice age that you might not live to see the end of... or much of the beginning.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

That's why I said "allmost makes you wish for"

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hello again guys .
An UPDATE:It's dark outside and i just went to buy some snacks and the night sky looks kinda strange.
It should normally look like this

well it doesn't it is still gray with black holes in it.
I cannot see any stars.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by xSeraphim]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Want to add these 2 pieces by Jeremy Warner, from telegraph.uk.

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull visits volcanic revenge on Britain

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

but this ls the lulu. Wish I knew how to imbed/ download pictures on here. It contains an aerial photo (taken by Iceland's Coast Guard) of the 3 main vents of the volcano.

Proof that vulcanic ash comes from a Nordic god

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by DogsDogsDogs]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
Why is the ash not showing up on satellite images?
It shows, but not on the more common images.

See this ESA page, specially the second line of that table.

If you click on the Earth image (or if you click here) you can see images from the controlled areas, including Iceland. You can chose the number of frames for the animation to see hourly photos.

The last photo (at the moment) is from 2010-04-17 at 18:00 UTC.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itsonlyme666

Sat24 will give you some good info :
www.sat24.nl...

No large planes in the sky = no chemtrails
That means no manmade cloudcover.. We (in w-europe) can be sure of a few really nice cloudless days

That in mind it allmost makes you wish for more volcanoes to be active across the globe doesn't it

Thank you, Itsonlyme666. That's the best satellite view I've seen yet and I can access it here. It was cool to see night fall across Europe, UK and Ireland! That's what's looping right now.

Well, enjoy the great weather and sky without planes...good attitude you have there.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by ChrisCrikey]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
They (Channel 4 news, UK) were beginning to discuss things like the potential for fluoride poisoning from the ash fallout in the immediate vicinity of Iceland, potentially being a risk to their animals eating grass near the worst ash falls if the situation persists longer term. May be worth keeping an eye on the health/food chain issues?

Also, has anyone else posted the news about those Finish F18s that ran through the ash cloud and were damaged, I picked up this article from 'Flightglobal' link. I found it interesting as it contains images of jet engine damage from this eruption.

Amidst all the other very real concerns for those people closest to harms way, in Iceland, at least I see they don't have any nuclear power stations that could get their cooling systems clogged (or flooded).

I was wondering whether the talk of triggering a global scale cooling or 'Ice Age' may be offset, at least in part, if the ash plume was to be redirected by changes in winds towards arctic ice/snow regions, where it may fall and increase ice melt due to darkening the surface colour? However, from what I hear, this eruption is producing an unusually high proportion of lightweight ash, hence the enormous dispersal and reach of the plume. So presumably this one will be far more likely to be causing climate-cooling issues by hanging around up in the atmosphere for ages...? Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

you're welcome...
You can see it in IR with www.sat24.nl...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There is a film of dust on all the cars here. It forms in a pattern, like little streams. You can see specks of glass if you look closely. Rub it between your fingers and it turns black and sticky.

Can see what looks like light rain when I look at a black roof from my window. Go outside and there is no rain. Could this be tiny specks of ash falling?

[edit on 17/4/10 by Yossarian]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

This will have global reach, it's effects will be global, in economic and strategic terms, I think. They were mentioning today about American oil drilling parts stuck in London, and God Knows what else stuck all over the place...Europe has loads of exports stuck, many food & perishables, and similarly the rest of the world can't export to Europe...

One of the fascinating things here is that nobody knows now, nor from what I can see will they know at any time in the duration, how long this may last, they're talking days to years!

So, how do you react, how do you know how much to invest in alternative transports? How can you plan? Very interesting indeed. It's just so unprecedented, this situation hasn't impacted on Europe post industrial revolution let alone jet-age, as far as I'm aware.

Just another thing to think of: Even if this hazard 'blows over' in a few days or hours, I wonder whether this may force high level re-thinks of global transport and supply chains, given our current understanding, and/or lack of understanding, about the many other volcanic risks.

Like others have mentioned, I just wonder whether next week we'll be seeing these plumes come back round to Europe from our West having done their first circumnavigation of the Northern Hemishpere?

Perhaps time to dust off those ghost fleets of cargo ships anchored up all over the world post-recession?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
Also, has anyone else posted the news about those Finish F18s that ran through the ash cloud and were damaged, I picked up this article from 'Flightglobal' link. I found it interesting as it contains images of jet engine damage from this eruption.

Yep, just one page back (pg18), but I only had a link to the Finnish version... thanks for posting the English one.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by podianna
Would think that the Government, Media would want to use these photos, interview the pilot etc. etc. to inform the general public about the damage the ash cloud can do to a plane ??? Just a thought.

We should be all educated enough to know this ourself.
And I'm actually amazed, which I shouldn't be, that there are people who don't know the ashes' damaging effect on an aircraft's engines.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Sorry, missed that, perhaps I can redeem myself with a little embellishment to add. I've heard that the airlines are unlikely to be cavalier about returning to service, due to the following concerns:

1. Even damage to their engines that leaves them 'operational' would result in probably
a). highly reduced (fuel consumption)) efficiencies, leading to problems in remaining competitive on say long haul flights with unaffected airlines.
b). Problems with safety fears and confidence of customers...

2. If they are too quick to return to service, and too many planes suffer damage requiring urgent engineering work (i.e. new/overhauled engines) then the 2-3 relevant world engine suppliers, and their fitters, would likely be unable to cope with demand on such a scale and maintain anything like current lead times for such work.

So I wouldn't expect them to rush back without a good deal of confidence that the ash has left their routes.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Let us not forget the fact that, should a plane crash as a direct result of the KNOWN ash cloud (known being imperative here), the families of the victims will be sueing the airline company until they file for bankruptcy!

Be assured people that the airline companies affected, will not dare fly their planes until they KNOW that the ash cloud will have no deteramental effects on their aircraft.

Or, more obviously, until the ash cloud has completely dissapated.

edit for 'palm on forehand' omition

[edit on 17/4/10 by logicalview]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Wow great link...this is going to be very bad on the economy obviously...i wonder about the light ash hanging in the jetstream for awhile...

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join