It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Why don't we design and build giant mechanical brass whales that can fly through the air and eat/filter the ash in the air like sea whales do with krill?

As these would be very expensive to make, they could double-up as creatures of war and they could have a pilot, like an elephant's mahout who sits on top of the mechanical brass whale with an ornate howdah. Perhaps Sikhs would be ideal for this because of their handsome swords and beards.

edited because of a fly in my field of vision

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Merriman Weir]

I like the way you think Merriman Weir.

That was an impressive flight of fantasy .

I would like to take a holiday inside your mind

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by podianna

This is what can happen to an aircraft engine. The pilot flying this F-18 Hornet the other day, before they closed the airspace, didn't see any noticeable ash cloud at all and it just started overheating.

Link

Not only is it seriously abrasive, it melts, cools, clogs up the engine, and you can't always see it.

I really doubt the spokesperson of any airline wants to stand in front of awaiting families telling them that their loved ones are now fish food. It's just too risky.

Here's a forecast of the affected area through tomorrow.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by lernmore]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hello, everyone. I'm in the US and have been looking at satellite and weather maps yesterday and today. Many of the maps and linked weather stations I cannot access so maybe they are limiting the web traffic to those sites a little bit. The (Google powered) satellite maps I can see have shown eerily clear skies all over the area and I do not know if they are really in truth current but from the eyewitness reports you all are providing the whole thing seems so weird!
In case other people who are not in the affected areas or the potentially affected areas, I would like to say I am having no problems using various satellite maps and features at:

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Everything looks so clear.

This is an exciting phenomenon for all of us to be experiencing...it's scary too! Please stay safe and informed. I really, really appreciate everyone who has posted here with their eyewitness reports. Please keep the reports coming.

Thinking of you from an American desert.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

Looks like it's heading towards the north-west coast of the US!!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Does anyone have any idea what the long term economic and political effects could be from this?

I saw a story on yahoo, where it is causing the EU's airline industries to lose $200 million a day.

Within a week, they would have lost $1 billion. Thats a good chunk of money to lose in a week.

Thousands of Europeans were also said to be stranded all over the world until flights could get them back home.

I can't imagine what the consequences of this will be if it lasts for weeks, especially if the other volcano goes too.

[edit on 17/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Latest news from Norway:

The volcanic ashes may stop air travel in northern Europe for weeks, even years.
Still many pilots claims this is just uninformed propaganda by the government.

www.aftenposten.no...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rev.Fenrir
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

Looks like it's heading towards the north-west coast of the US!!

Huh? Please explain what you mean, Rev.Fenrir.
second line.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The BBC and Sky are quoting that the UK airline industry is losing £200m ($300m) a day.. so I dread to think what the real figure is for Europe as a whole on a day to day basis.

Edit to add, I beleive if the other volcano goes pop, then what we are facing now will be just a minor incovenience in comparison.

[edit on 17/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Whoops, my bad, north-east is what I meant to say.

Here's a better picture:

i44.tinypic.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Quite a lot of health warning coming about, since the ash is starting to fall over the UK, i dread to think what the situation would be like if the other Volcano went.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I've been reading up on this volcano, and this is the fourth major eruption since the mid 900's AD. All three earlier eruptions led to the eruption of the Katla Volcano, which produced much greater distruction and emitted much larger amounts of ash that caused colder climatic conditions around the world in the following year. An eruption in Iceland in the 1700's killed tens of thousands in Europe from sulphuric gasses released by the Icelandic volcano as well as much of the livestock population in Iceland. Katla has erupted at intervals of 40 to 80 years, but last erupted around 90 years ago...so it is overdue.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by art_n_music]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
They are good photo's, where exactly was the 'Hornet' flying across Europe ?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by art_n_music

Don't forget the French revolution too. The famines motivated the masses to march on Versailles.

Parts of Europe are already unstable, the PIIGS nations.

This will also effect out ability to wage war. Ramstein AFB in Germany is a major transit point for our war efforts and thousands of US troops are stationed across Europe.

The impact this could have, especially if the second volcano goes, could seriously change the course of history. Last time it happened it lead to Napoleon. Makes one wonder what it could lead to this time?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rev.Fenrir

Thanks. I'm wondering, since the volcanic ash is made up of different particulates - which are heaviest? Do the various particulates form separate clouds or stratify layers in some waY? Different visibilty etc.

I just hope those with respiratory problems will be extra cautious.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by podianna
They are good photo's, where exactly was the 'Hornet' flying across Europe ?

It happened on a routine training flight of 5 planes in Northern Finnish airspace Thursday morning.

The Air Force has examined Thursday and Friday during the Lapland Air Command F-18 Hornet fighter jets, which flew in Thursday morning training flight in northern Finnish airspace. At that time, Sky was in general use.
Machines after the decline in machinery and engines are inspected inlet was observed from potato flour, volcanic ash and dust. One of the Hornet's engine is tähystetty fiberoskooppikameralla. The images revealed that the already short-term flying tuhkapölyssä could cause significant damage, the airplane engine.

(weakly translated to English from the link)

[edit on 17-4-2010 by lernmore]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Noticed yesterday a light covering of sand like material on all the cars and roofs where I live in Hamilton, Scotland, UK. The weather has been clear and warm so I imagine it is fallout from the Icelandic volcano. I take my dogs for a walk in a forest and noted a weird, green paint like substance over the vegetation. It seemed powdery and probably isn't related. Anyone know what this might be???

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Would think that the Government, Media would want to use these photos, interview the pilot etc. etc. to inform the general public about the damage the ash cloud can do to a plane ??? Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rev.Fenrir
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Whoops, my bad, north-east is what I meant to say.

Here's a better picture:

i44.tinypic.com...

Why is the ash not showing up on satellite images?
I don't believe this easy to fake male cow manure.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Lufthansa won't fly at least until Sunday, 14:00 o'clock. They will decide on further steps in the morning.

Everybody is waiting for rain, to get down the dust.

Indeed we had very good weather today and much sunshine. But just this seems to be the problem.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by podianna
Would think that the Government, Media would want to use these photos, interview the pilot etc. etc. to inform the general public about the damage the ash cloud can do to a plane ??? Just a thought.

The public are well informed about the potential damage and risks, its been all over the news since Thursday.

Why do we need to "interview the pilots"? What can they add? Zilch!

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join