It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hi, thank you replying, feel a bit more validated now ! Not sure how much more I can say, except that the weather in Scotland since Friday 9th has been exceptional, maybe too exceptional, considering the severe winter that has been very recently experienced. I am not a scientist or looking too lead any discussion one way or another, I do however like to think as a grounded, rational, common sense sort of person that something is wrong here.
Right now, it just appears too be another typically British day, unremarkable, with no sign's whatsoever of this massive UK wide volcanic cloud. Not a thing and i've travelled from North to South, talked to friends, family and neither have they seen, smelt or touched anything, so how does that work ?
Too me also the winds here have changed direction daily and today it is
quite gusty, tops of trees moving as I look and clouds moving along nicely, so why then is this not being dispersed or pushed across parts of Europe to let some space clear for flights to operate.
Watching the media, the powers that be seem to be hellbent on having nothing in the air at all, why ? I have never seen, as a casual observer, better flying conditions in the UK over the last few days.
Makes me think, is there something on the way that they don't want to tell us to prevent mass panic ?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by podianna

Do you been maybe they are worried that it's about to blow it's lid properly? Flying through ash is one thing but getting caught in the pyroclastic cloud would be kinda nasty.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I have never seen, as a casual observer, better flying conditions in the UK over the last few days.
Makes me think, is there something on the way that they don't want to tell us to prevent mass panic ?

I does make you think indeed. Over here in Belgium it must have been ages since we had a beautiful weather like this one today. Also the temperature is risen.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Qantas is now saying flights will be cancelled for a minimum of 10 days.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You could be right, maybe it is going to blow, who knows what's going on ! The wind this morning was from the North, it's moved around to the West now and getting stronger. Now the wind is cyclonic ? But they tell us that this massive cloud is just not moving, find it hard to believe that it has not at least started to disperse now. I hear that it could be like this for the next few days, hmmm...the Met office is somewhat unreliable at forecasts for more than 24 hours, so how do they know that ?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I posted this link already

Virtual-Radar.com

It shows flights that are in the air but also has the ash cloud superimposed over the affected areas.

Another good link where pilots are discussing the situation is

pprune.org

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'm in Belgium... they started flying small airplanes and sailplanes this morning at my local (small) airport, but no planes powered by jets though. Actually I can see one right now, towing a sailplane

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Yes, I'm quite curious why meteorologists in MSM immediately said that it could last for a week or weeks...how do they know this is right...and the jet stream movement is quite bizare...something similar to irregular jet stream activity in the US the last 3 years...but quite a bit more irregular.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Itsonlyme666

I've read most of the pages thus far and I don't think this has been posted. This is what happens to engines in just short term exposure. Follow the link...www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The BBC is saying things will get worse.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

news.bbc.co.uk...

Scientists in Iceland said they hoped to fly above the volcano to assess how much ice has melted, now that winds have cleared visibility.

OK , This is interesting , lets hope theres not a lot of ice left up there.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
That is fair enough. I do not doubt that volcanic ash would cause damage to an engine and put planes with carrying passengers in extreme danger etc. etc.
What I am saying is this, where is the physical evidence, I have called friends, North to South of the UK, they have got nothing, no ash on ground, no unusual smells or anything to indicate that there is some leviathan cloud spread across the UK causing this much unprecedented disruption. I have not seen on the media any footage of ash collected on cars, washing hung out in the garden.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This volcanic ash fall could become a cause for concern to Americans aswell ,
because the direction the wind is blowing seems to be changing soon...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

news.bbc.co.uk...

Scientists in Iceland said they hoped to fly above the volcano to assess how much ice has melted, now that winds have cleared visibility.

OK , This is interesting , lets hope theres not a lot of ice left up there.

I heard on the news it had only gone through 1/3 of the ice, leaving another 2/3rds to go, could go on for a while, all quite exciting really

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystic Technician
This volcanic ash fall could become a cause for concern to Americans aswell ,

And Canadians, if you can distiguish between them.

The ash cloud reaches far into Russia now, so, even if the eruption stopped immediately, some of the ash will eventually reach all the way across to North America.

In another way, there are counter-clockwise weather patterns south of Iceland which could also bring ash to Greenland and the North Eastern portions of N. america (ie Quebec, Newfoundland, Labrador).

Given the fact that the volcano doesn't seem to be letting up at all and even increasing, I don't think much of the northern hemisphere will go unaffected.

clarity

[edit on 17/4/10 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Why don't we design and build giant mechanical brass whales that can fly through the air and eat/filter the ash in the air like sea whales do with krill?

As these would be very expensive to make, they could double-up as creatures of war and they could have a pilot, like an elephant's mahout who sits on top of the mechanical brass whale with an ornate howdah. Perhaps Sikhs would be ideal for this because of their handsome swords and beards.

edited because of a fly in my field of vision

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Dutch media is reporting that KLM has been given green light to make a test flight from Düsseldorf to Amsterdam (with no passengers obviously). They want to make seven of such flights in total. Lufthansa has also started trial flights.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm an American and I care about what is going on in northern Europe's skies, after all we are all in or on this together (earth) I liken the human race to one big family. Glad your able to enjoy the peace and quiet right now. Peace to you and take care.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

The pilot forum is a fascinating insight.

Thanks

Edit: The pilots mention the possibility of a larger sister volcano erupting, and that this could continue for up to 2 years !!!

Could 2 years of this create a nuclear winter scenario?

In 40 years i don't think i've ever seen the skies so blue and clear (despite the ash). Makes the contaminating effects of jet aircraft very tangible. The nuclear winter scenario aside, this seems a very good thing!

Also, it's going to be hard to wage war in the middle east if the troops can't fly. Can missiles still fly accurately in through the ash?

Perhaps mother nature has had enough of the jet engines screwing up her lungs...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by McGinty]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Are you expecting "Dante's Peak" like ashfalls?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join