It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Europe hit by volcanic ash

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Luxembourg (West of Germany) was also closed for air traffic
on April 16th.

The last open airport of Germany - Munich - was also closed,
so chancellor Merkel, coming back from Obama and
Schwarzenegger, had to land in Lisbon (Portugal), where she
was met by the Portuguese primeminister.

I don´t know, whether she is doing the 3,000 km from there
to Berlin by car or train.

Germany´s minister of defence, accompanying 4 German dead
soldiers from Afghanistan and several wounded in a military
plane, was stranded in Istambul (Turkey). where the wounded
were taken care of. The dead may have to be shipped home
by train or bus (3,000 km).

Also see: en.wikipedia.org...

The thread running away, I am not sure to not duplicate
information.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Oh a volca....wait a minute not America?

Pffft that's not news.

jk

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Chicago cares!
Big news here.

Here's a link to WGN news which has various stories on it, scroll down - and on the left are lots of related stories and video.
WGN news on EU travel issues, volcano eruption

I hope everyone will be OK! This is big news here, alot of weather study and speculation. Alot of international air traffic in/out of here too.

I am very interested in weather so I read alot of these things, we're close in latitude to EU as well.

Will the ash cloud come here? We're in summer here so we have the upswelling bulge going (off the jet stream) from the south (Central America, equatorial regions), so we're getting that here (makes it hot in summer) so maybe that would disrupt any 'swirling around the top' of this ash cloud. ?

Weather, and these natural events and their effects thereof, are very interesting to me.
There's alot of people here in Chi who are big into this too - this is big news here and we are all hoping the best for you too!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Aelfrede

I understand your point, but let's be honest if this event was happening in the USA then it would be frontpage ATS, but because it's Iceland and by extension the rest of Europe, nobody cares. Well by "nobody" I mean Americans.

I'm not American by the way.

You're definitely not American as anyone can tell because you obviously don't know the first thing about us.

It is indeed all over our news. Even our Weather Channel is giving it on the hour coverage.

Europeans are humans just like we are over here in the States. I care as much about their plight as I do about my own countrymen. So does my family for that matter.

My hope is that this does not become any larger of a eruption than it already is. When I hear that all air traffic in Europe has been grounded than I become acutely concerned and worried.

Let us pray that this along with all of the other earthquakes that seem to be sprouting up everywhere these days are not the signs of worse to come in the immediate future.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i think after all of this destruction around the world in the past week.

we really need to start having a big look at everything.

i live in australia. and in south australia we had a 4.0 magnitude tremor last night.

which i haveto say HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!

its just getting me curious.

check out this site.

theres been 588 earthquakes this week as reported.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Visibility is not possible due to the plume being too high. I think now it is somewhere around 30,000 feet. The initial eruption blew almost 7 miles up into the atmosphere.

Volcanic ash is quite different than regular sand. Here is an article that explains it.

The eruption ejected the plume, which is made up of fine rock particles, up to 11km into the atmosphere. "This ash cloud is now drifting with the high altitude winds," said Dr David Rothery, a volcano researcher from the UK's Open University.

"If volcanic ash particles are ingested into a jet engine, they accumulate and clog the engines with molten glass."

"This dust really is nasty stuff," he told BBC News. "It's extremely fine and if it gets into a jet engine, it blocks up all of the ventilation holes that bleed in cooling air. "Jet engines operate at about 2,000C, and the metals can't take that. The engine will just shut down."

So ya see, no hoax here. There is a real threat to aircraft.

link:news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I dont believe more of you have not thought of a conspiracy. ok real volcano but I think there is another reason for grounding ALL the air traffic. hmm the skys are getting more clear!? they better get the planes back up soon. before every one realizes that the pollution is mostly from planes. keep a good eye on the skys. I could see the moon on the horizon. and now I can clearly see all the stars. why would they stop all air traffic? are they looking for some thing? with clear skys they can see any think up there? ufo? enemy spy planes?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well, it seems like the Finns learned the hard way why planes should be grounded.

Two F-18 Hornets had their engines damaged after flying through volcanic ash.

www.aftenposten.no... (its in norwegian)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
some amazing lightning happening inside the ash clouds right now.
You might need to wind up your brightness a bit.

eldgos.mila.is...

Here's an amazing shot I captured, unfortunately can't work out how to insert the image directly.

i1028.photobucket.com...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
As the article says: "Get ready for decades of Icelandic fireworks"

www.newscientist.com...

What we have seen so far it is almost nothing when you realize the destructive potential of this area.

"Over the past 1,100 years, Eyjafjallajökull has erupted four times: in 920, 1612, between 1821–1823, and in 2010. Each of the first three of these incidents directly preceded a major eruption in the nearby subglacial volcano, Katla.[9] There is so far no evidence that Katla will erupt because of its vicinity to the current eruption in Eyjafjallajökull. Katla, which is a much more active volcano, known for its powerful subglacial eruptions and its large magma chamber, much larger than that of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano system"
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I started to care. Right up until I read this:

Originally posted by Kram09
... nobody cares. Well by "nobody" I mean Americans.

I'm not American by the way.

Then I just figured, "well, if no one expects me to care ... why should I?"

So, I don't.

Good luck with all that Volcanic Ash and whatever. If you'll excuse me I'm going to watch Dancing with the Stars and eat fast food. I mean, that's what we Americans do ... right?

FYI: With your preconceived conceptions of other nationalities I'm glad you're not American.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Volcanic Ash : 1

Airline companies : 0

Nature is as powerful as our technology is fragile.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Just woken up, went outside and looked up, nice clear blue sky here today (Luxembourg).....I don't think I have ever seen the sky without one single vapour trail....

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here's a picture of a "red" sunset...supposedly cause by the volcanic ash. I don't really know what to think of it, looks quite normal to me.

Source: flickr

[edit on 17-4-2010 by frozenP]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
All we see is the politicians and whores. There is almost no contact between us humans for real. Yeah okey threw this sites etc. When i as a fellow traveler think about Americans as a sort of human being.? All i can say every country has distinctive characteristics in culture. We from the Netherlands are very timid and grounded. You americans are in my opinion, always very patriotic, and your will for victory is unprecedented . Only i see it as a country that suffers from narcissism(not to negative ment) So i am glad we in core are very different, it enriches us as a species. We should combine and create a super culture(haha)

The reason i intended to react is, that im not behind the statement of that fellow European, that you Americans dont care .

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Haza32

as much as i would like to get in on all this earthquake action around the world ,we have had a few earthquakes in oz since records began in the late 19th century and some decent size ones,check out wiki on the list for australian earthquakes ,nothing unusual here . We dont get any big events in oz maybe a bushfire ,flooding,drought occasionally a cyclone.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
alot of good facts in this thread. Great research and presentation. Nice to see ATSers making sane contributions.

Good thread. Good read.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
just outside edinburgh here... Ash is supposed to be at 6000 FT today... Very overcast with dark brooding clouds.

Last few days here have been glorious. Im in the office this morning so have access to the lastest satellite imagery and will let you all know if anything develops.

Looking at the live cam for this volcano its farely spewing out the ash at this moment in time.

Fingers crossed the sun peeks his head out in a few hours as im supposed to be having a barbie!

Ps, i work closely with the UK offshore sector, all offshore choppers are still currently grounded. No one on the Oilrigs and no one off the Oilrigs.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Great thread. Been following it for last few days with an avid interest, as i am due to be flying back to UK in early May, and as a lover of conspiracy theories which i generally think makes one pessimistic I have to say that i'm extremely worried that i won't be flying.

Really the point i wanted to make was that i think this event has really shown the differences in critical thinking that the 'sheeple' and the 'awake' people have. (I don't like either term, but they are commonly used i guess, so i will stick to them)

For example within an hour of hearing about the volcano and the subsequent ash cloud on thursday evening i had sent an email to my family in Uk saying simply that i hoped the ash would all literally blow over, but that they should know that there was a possibility that i would not make it home in early may. Their response of course was: "don't be silly, its 2 and a half weeks until your flight, and the news is saying it will be just a day or two of no planes"

This brings up a number of obvious issues. If we look where we are now as of saturday morning UK time, the no fly zone has now been pushed back to Saturday night. But for the last 3 days there has been very little discussion in media of the possibility of a long period of no flying. It seems it is on everyones lips, but no one is aloud to say it, for fear of causing panic, and so the sheeple continue on in their blissful fashion not worried at all.

Yet it doesnt take a genius to realize that the no fly zone is going to stay in place unless one of two things happens.
1. volcano stops erupting
2. weather patterns change so that wind direction does not carry the debris over europe.

as for point one, i guess nobody knows. All i have heard is from various vulcanologist s is that this volcano could keeping spewing forth for days, weeks or months, and that nobody can say for certain.

As for the weather patterns, after having been born and lived in UK for the first 26 years of my life, before moving away, I'm pretty certain that the majority of UK weather (and northern Europe) is caused by the winds blowing in from North Atlantic, directly over or close to Iceland. So, even if the weather patterns change and airports can reopen, the window for flights would be small as it is likely the north atlantic weather pattern would reassert itself.

Hopefully, someone on here with knowledge of UK weather patterns could talk about this.

About an hour ago now, i saw an interview on BBC news with a man from the met. Basically he said the same thing. At one point he categorically stated that the picture looked bleak if the volcano continued to erupt. then it reaches the end of the segment and the presenter sums it all up by saying:

there you go, no flying until late saturday early sunday.

And thus the population can go back to sleep. Don't worry, we will be flying again by sunday.....(until sunday of course, when it will be pushed back again)
Maybe they have it right. I know for sure that i'm spending too much time checking out what is going on because i'm thinking of the worst, that the eruption will continue and my flight in 2 weeks will be cancelled. I fully expect to be a nervous wreck by then!!

But, If i read about this volcano's history of lenghty eruptions, coupled with UK's prevailing weather patterns, then i just cant shrug it off, close my eyes, and believe the media reports that everything will be ok and planes will be flying again soon. (Hey, maybe they will, but that depends on one thing only, the volcano, and nobody really knows what will happen)

I guess you all know what i'm talking about right? otherwise you wouldn't be on this site. Its just one example of what most of us must feel about a whole range of topics that the MSM doesnt like to talk about.

rant over!!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wootwoot

Being honest, the conspiracy side of it doesn't interest me.

I don't buy the terms you used to describe others, i think there are too many lunatics and fantatics on sites such as this to wish to identify with either grouping.

That said, you are absolutely right that there has been surprisingly little informed discussion about the potential medium and longer term effects.

Being in the UK myself, yes, the prevailing weather comes from the Atlantic, the volcano could rumble on for weeks, months or years and there is the risk of triggering a far greater eruption nearby.

I think i saw the same BBC interview as you and thought the same, that it was a pathetic summary altough i wasn't surprised, that channel has dumbed down and takes longer to break news due to editorial guidelines introduced after the David Kelly farce.

Has anyone found any reasonable articles online from people who know what they're talking about?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join