It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano could mean cooling, acid rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Volcano could mean cooling, acid rain

www.msnbc.msn.com

If Iceland's active volcano gets even more active, Icelanders and air travelers won't be the only ones impacted. Gases from past large volcanoes have actually lowered Earth's temperatures, triggered lung ailments, caused acid rain and thinned our protective ozone layer....Longer term, sulfur from volcanoes has the potential to cool the Earth. Sulfur reacts with water in the air to form sulfuric acid droplets that reflect sunlight hitting Earth, thus blocking some rays. The reduction in sunlight can reduce temperatures for a year or so, until the droplets fall out of the atmosphere.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Seeing the news about air traffic in Europe being stopped due to the huge ash cloud I had to ask myself what is the effects of all this ash when it comes to global weather...
According to this article "Some experts advocate the deliberate injection of sulfur dioxide in the stratosphere in a "geoengineering" short cut to slow global warming."

I kinda don't get it, humans put stuff in air, and are told it will make earth warm. The earth puts stuff in the air and we are told it will cool the earth.

Well, if it does continue to spew, and next year is really cold, it will probably do wonders for the US's coal industry...we'll be shipping that stuff over the ocean at record speads.
We'll warm ya up, no worries!

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom

Seeing the news about air traffic in Europe being stopped due to the huge ash cloud I had to ask myself what is the effects of all this ash when it comes to global weather...
According to this article "Some experts advocate the deliberate injection of sulfur dioxide in the stratosphere in a "geoengineering" short cut to slow global warming."

I kinda don't get it, humans put stuff in air, and are told it will make earth warm. The earth puts stuff in the air and we are told it will cool the earth.

www.msnbc.msn.com

Of course you don't get it. When you lump together everything as "stuff" you are looking at the world in an ignorant fashion.

It's almost as stupid as someone telling you that a certain liquid will quench your thirst and then you go ahead and drink gasoline and wonder why you are dying in a hospital bed.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That's funny! I have drank gasoline...when I was a kid, it was in an orange crush bottle my dad left on the hood of a car he was trying to start. I was icky, and my tummy hurt. But I'm still here, and nobody told me to do it, my ignorant self gladly took the bottle to my own lips!

Yes...stuff...some gasses trap the sun's energy....other gasses repel the suns energy.

So...what happens when there is a lot of stuff's in the air, the kinds that trap and repel? Is there an equalizing...or does it become a one step forward two steps back? A yo-yo from extreem to extreem in quicker succesions?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

they have a link to a Live Web Cam of Eyjafjallajokull
Boy thats a word that's gonna take me a month to learn to say right "Eyjafjallajokull"

I have the cam window open now and all I see is ash cloud...maybe I'll chack again when its dark and see if it glows???

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

Ahhhhhhh Obama put the brakes on the coal industry...... RIGHT.

top topics

join