It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK airspace is empty - one night only!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
The parts of clear sky i see theres no trace of any ash? Im NE uk?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by jazz10]

You wont 'see' it as such as it is between 20 and 55,000 feet up... passenger planes travel at around 35,000... The 'ash' messes with the enegines [not sure of correct terms but it basically turns to glass like substance..]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by MR BOB

No the ash cloud is too thin to block anything.

However the bl**dy layer of stratus covering half the country means some of us haven't even seen the sun today, have no chance of a sunset (nor the conjunction of Mercury, Moon and Venus) and more likelihood of seeing UFOs in small bucket of water under the stairs

(me not happy with weather!!! )

Just wanted to say. Have never seen Mercury in all my years of watching the skies till earlier this week. Obviously living in a city for most of my life, hasn't helped. Most chuffed to have finally viewed it now.

Did you know that this ? cd7.e2bn.net... Monet's famous painting, the sky, was as a result of the ash from the fallout from the eruption of, i believe, Krakatoa?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
BBC News is now saying that the no fly could last for up to 48 hours. So maybe plenty of time to snap something

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Weird. I live in central England's and just had a low flying plane go over. It wasn't a passenger plane but was a similar size and red and white in colour.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
well bk from the walk saw nothing.
apart from clouds witch are coming in thicker. probably full coverage by sunset. witch is a bit of a bummer.
will make any spotting during later cigarettes outside nearly impossible

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Here in Belgium there is no air traffic either, as well in the whole of Northern Europe.
They say at least 24 hours, maybe more

Over here there are also warnings for to much fine dust in the air and recommend to avoid physical work and for people with breathing issues to stay inside.

The ashes will reach us in about 9 hours, but restrictions are already in place.... we probably won't see much of it with the naked eye

[edit on 15/4/2010 by GypsK]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by markymint

Not just the UK, Swedish airspace also. I'll keep my eyes on the sky tonight

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by unmode
Weird. I live in central England's and just had a low flying plane go over. It wasn't a passenger plane but was a similar size and red and white in colour.

So long as they are below 10,000 feet I think they should be OK, and it's emergency or important flights only.

It could of been a medical flight? Military? Maybe taking air samples? I've seen a couple of helicopters round here, I'm right under a flight path for the local airport but not heard any planes today and not seen a single con trail from the higher jets.

I was thinking before I wonder if Russia will fly one of those bomber runs they do so they can see all the fighters scramble? Could be their only chance to have supposedly clear airspace, see if the fighter boys will take their jets up even though there is the ash...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
One one hand, it's logical to close the airspace because of what's going on with Island, on the other hand... it's a great opportunity for ET craft to show up or be seen, because the chances of it being something else are much much lower. I guess we will have to wait and see. The thing is, it's not just in the UK, but most of Europe. Will we have a visit tonight?

[edit on 15/4/10 by Cybernet]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Assuming you have your cameras and binoculars at the ready, wait until after sunset around 21:45pm just before ten o clock. The thinner cloud might disperse.
Try and not pay too much attention to the website for the weather either, just keep checking outside every 1hr or so between now and 10 o clock.

I've got my battery on charge and i'll be checking the skies tonight,. like the OP said it represents a good opportunity to get some good footage. Lets hope the cloud disperses later

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
No UK sightings yet.. Just an eerie silence. Didn't hear a single emergency vehicle today either! But here's an interesting discovery for the day:

EDIT: Oh actually perhaps it's old-hat.

From UFO Blogger website:

There is something strange in the cosmic neighbourhood. An unknown object in the nearby galaxy M82 has started sending out radio waves, and the emission does not look like anything seen anywhere in the universe before.

"We don't know what it is," says co-discoverer Tom Muxlow of Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics near Macclesfield, UK.

www.ufo-blogger.com...

Anyway, pint time and look at sky time. Ciao

[edit on 15-4-2010 by markymint]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I have it on good authority from NATS, although it isn't confirmed in the media yet, that the UK's airspace will be fully restricted until at least 13:00hrs GMT tomorrow.

Cloud coverage will be minimal for most of the country tonight.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by 0010110011101]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Me and my girlfriend talked abut that, there are no such warnings in the Netherlands. The "Gazet van Antwerpen" is reporting that there is no danger for humans.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Theres some way dodgy looking clouds heading south from NE england, looks like clouds have been rippled?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by markymint
No UK sightings yet.. Just an eerie silence. Didn't hear a single emergency vehicle today either! But here's an interesting discovery for the day:

EDIT: Oh actually perhaps it's old-hat.

From UFO Blogger website:

There is something strange in the cosmic neighbourhood. An unknown object in the nearby galaxy M82 has started sending out radio waves, and the emission does not look like anything seen anywhere in the universe before.

"We don't know what it is," says co-discoverer Tom Muxlow of Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics near Macclesfield, UK.

WOW this deserves a thread of its own? what you waiting for people?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Can i just point one thing out here?
Has no one even noticed just how many airports are not running? For a volcanic eruption? and have you all looked outside i can see the stars so hows the smoke closing all of these? whats really going on h

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
i can see the stars so hows the smoke closing all of these? whats really going on h

Why do you think that volcanic dust will obscure the stars?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

It might be just me but flights globally are cancelled? Globally? How?

As for the seeing the stars, surely i wouldnt be able to? I was expecting the sky the colour of red and lightning from the heavens world shaking and volcanoes going off everywhere , then our ET cousins popping in,quick intro and then beaming us all up to never never land tpye of event to only cause this, Why?
Or on the other hand there is something happening above these countries that maybe possible to see from that height and closed the airports to keep it from our knowledge?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

After lying dormant for more than two centuries the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano in Iceland has now erupted twice in a month, bringing chaos to northern Europe and destruction to its surroundings. Last night's eruption under a glacier, which spewed massive clouds of ash miles into the sky, was 10 to 20 times more powerful than the one last month, scientists said. But disruption could last for weeks because the volcano's last eruption lasted two years from 1821 to 1823. Today's caused local rivers to rise by up to 10 feet as the ferocious heat melted the glacier, turning it to water which gushed down the mountain. Iceland's main coastal ring road was closed near the volcano, and workers smashed three holes in the highway to give the rushing water a clear route to the coast and prevent bridges from being swept away. Emergency workers rescued scores of tourists from around the glacier as it spewed smoke and steam. Forecasters said Londoners will have an astonishing sunset tonight due to the Icelandic eruption. The Met Office said a vivid “volcanic lavender” sunset was likely. Eruptions create what experts call a “volcanic aerosol” — a colourful mixture of ash and sulphur compounds — in the stratosphere.

This scatters an invisible blue glow which, when mixed with the red light of the setting sun, produces a vivid crimson and violet hue. The eruption could affect the UK until early next week, and cause changes to temperatures across Europe. “The problem is that we have an area of high pressure, which is pushing the cloud from Iceland directly over Britain,” said Brendan Jones of MeteoGroup. “That will not change until early next week, so as long as the volcano keeps erupting, we will have the ash cloud.” At 11am, the ash cloud was at around 20,000 feet and Mr Jones confirmed Britain was unlikely to see much of it because the ash is so diluted. The most noticeable effect is likely to be at sunrise and sunset, when the particles are illuminated. “The sky isn't going to go dark, and its unlikely we will see any deposits at all on the ground.” However, Mr Jones said previous eruptions have caused major problems. “If you look back in history there have been some periods where the weather has been changed by big volcanic eruptions like Mount Tambora and Mount St Helens.” In 1815 a huge eruption by Mount Tambora on the Indonesian island of Sumbawa spewed out massive amounts of sulphur dioxide which combined with water vapour to form a sulphuric acid mist that reflected sunlight away from the earth. That caused such a drop in temperatures that 1816 became known as “the year with no summer”.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Flights could be grounded for far longer if history repeats itself. I bolded the bit about the last eruption of this volcano lasting for two years. That's a long time to be cut off from air traffic.

Even if the eruption only lasts a few weeks, that's still a long time for flights to be grounded. I wonder what it will do to the economies involved?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by markymint
re whatsoever ... awesome!

Anything you see high up in the UK sky between now and tomorrow morning has a heightened possiblity of being truly alien

[edit on 15-4-2010 by markymint]

That's a bold statement to say the least.

Truly alien? Really? Honestly I wouldn't bet all my chips on that. I believe you'd have a better chance of spotting something that would appear alien yet man made...you have to test your crafts sometime, am I right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join