It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel bans imports of Apple iPad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Does anyone know what frequency band the iPad uses and what it could be interfering with in the nation of Israel?

www.washingtonpost.com

JERUSALEM -- Israel has banned all imports of Apple's hottest new product, the iPad, citing concerns that its wireless frequencies are incompatible with national standards.

Customs officials said Thursday they already have confiscated about 10 iPads since Israel announced the new regulations this week.

The blanket ban prevents anyone - even tourists - from bringing an iPad into Israel until officials certify that the computers are in compliance with local transmitter standards.

Found some tech data from the iPad page:

www.apple.com...

Wireless and cellular

Wi-Fi model:
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi + 3G model:
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only2
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi
Digital compass
Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

[edit on 4/15/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ah, it seems that the iPad just hasn't been run through the normal testing procedures in Israel, prior to approval:

www.haaretz.com

If you had thought to buy Apple's new iPad tablet computer any time soon and bring it to Israel, you may have to change your plans: Starting yesterday, the Communications Ministry has blocked the import of iPads to Israel, and the customs authority has been directed to confiscate them.

The decision follows the refusal of the ministry's engineering staff to compromise on testing the device's suitability and compliance with Israeli wireless networks.

It seems however that the engineers made their decision without notifying Communications Minister Moshe Kahlon in advance - and caused an uproar within the ministry.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I did an ATS-Search for this and this is the only thread that pops up - neither is it in ATS, nor does it have responses.

That surprises me because there might be more to this than meets the eye.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Sounds like simple over-reaction on Israel's part...but we'll see.
Silly really.
Do they have a new definition of SPYWARE in those things or something?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

One thing about being a thread killer, more often than not it is my own threads who fall victim

Feel free to start one on ATS if you like, I promise to stay away from it

top topics

join