It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just what the honeybee doesnt need

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Another threat...

We are all aware of the CCD phenomena affecting honeybees... I will not waste time going over the same ground about how important the bee is because i think we all know that...

But now it seems that the British honeybee faces a new threat in the form of the Asian Hornet!!

A new hornet may be on the way to Britain which puts our native breed to shame in terms of aggression, especially towards honeybees – which it massacres. The Asian hornet, Vespa velutina, is strongly established in France, where it is thought to have arrived from the Far East in a consignment of Chinese plant pots in late 2004

www.independent.co.uk...

I really do hope that they don’t make it here... I also hope that the European honeybee soon learns the defensive technique of its Asian cousins... They have developed a defence that involves smothering the Hornets until they die of heatstroke!!

Will the European honeybee learn this technique in time? Who knows! But i really don’t know how much more the Bees can take!!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I think that bee's are affected by the wireless internet signals

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by maxbagshaw33

Then you might want to check out this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Very interesting thread... although, personally, i believe the CCD problem is caused by multiple issues like mites, virus, pesticides, GM Crops etc...

This issue of Hornets is just another one to add to the list of issues that the honeybee already has to deal with!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Hornets really are nasty insects and just about the only ones I detest...another being carpenter ants.

When those things either somehow migrate or hitchhike to the Americas, it will be a whole nother story.
I, for one, hope they take their time, a a predator is available in the Americas.

Good find, Muckster

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree. I absolutely despise hornets! They are nothing but pests to other important insect species.

It is important to note that the Africanized honey bee is only increasing in numbers and migrating northward in the US.

It is unfortunate to think that we might be forced to use them as a replacement to the European honey bee (which also resides in the US). Fortunately the Africanized honey bee has shown resilience to whatever is causing the CCD problem. Yes they are dangerous, but they may be a blessing in disguise.

We may have to tolerate these deadly suckers if the European bee continues along the path of decline.

They still need a warmer climate to survive. They wouldn't survive in the northern parts of the world.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Fortunately the Africanized honey bee has shown resilience to whatever is causing the CCD problem. Yes they are dangerous, but they may be a blessing in disguise.

An excellent point that id never considered!! If the choice is between the Africanised Bee and starvation... i know what i'll pick

I wonder how well the more aggressive Africanised Bee would do against the Asian hornet?? Interesting thought!

top topics

join