It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Same over here, whole airspace closed, must be some son of a gun that outburst...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Knowing the little bit of friction between the UK and Iceland this made me laugh when I saw it....

Dear Iceland, we said 'send Cash'.

Clever.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

No choppers allowed to fly out to the riggs, they dont use planes out to the riggs.

Boats Im not sure of....

I'm think I'm pretty sure when I say without a source:
"they don't allow boats to fly to oilriggs."

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Is there a need for your sig to be so huge....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Oh and on the day of our big live debate here in the UK.......

(Puts ATS hat on)

I bet thats took the pressure of them abit!

Anyhows im awaiting with my camera to see this Ash

They believe that this could go on and of for months.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Dutch airspace will be closed down in several stages. from 19:00 no aircraft will fly nomore.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Yes, that's going to hit it a little.... I think I would rather watch Ash though...

:0)

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
reply to post by asala

Yes, that's going to hit it a little.... I think I would rather watch Ash though...

:0)

I am sure the ash will actually be more interesting...

and will eventually go away, unlike that little lot..

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I just heard a plane in Worcester, someone must be taking a huge risk :O

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
We should expect one great sunset this evening. Bloodred couse of the ash

regards

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
why does this not apply to military aircraft they have been flying over me today in northamptonshire uk?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by dashdespatch]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

Jet's to secure the airspace always are on standby in case of an event. Dutch airforce is on standby too. Rescue choppers will also be deployed in case of some coastal emergency. The rest of our airspace is closed down.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Northern and middle Finlands flights grounded /and its estimated
southern Finland Helsinki vantaa etc will stop air traffic by the evening too!

wow....

[edit on 15-4-2010 by zoomer72]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Just as I suspected from the earlier V.A.A forecast map, ALL flights will remain grounded and UK Airspace closed now until 0600UT tomorrow morning at the earliest.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
i apreciate military aircraft have to be on standby but why are thy buzzing around arnt they sbject to the same dangers as commercial planes?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by dashdespatch]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
don't realy know that. i'm no expert. maybe becouse the can choose altitutes easier? who knows?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Looking on the bright side of this, these tempory flight ban's will enable us UK people to spot UFO'S today and tonight because if theres something up there, then it shouldnt be there. Unless its an emergency flight...
Also we should be able to see Mercuary at its best tonight.

I think the ban will carry on until tommorow, due to the weather not changing on this ''clear sky'd'' day, also, im getting a lovely tan! ..Well cooking more like. Havnt seen the Sun in ages!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Jeppensen Europe High Level Sig Forecast

From an aviation industry point of view, wise to cancel all commercial flight to from and over UK, as well as Scandinavia, Eastern / North Europe and into Russia.

the ash cloud will sit at high level right where the planes fly. the result of an aircraft flying through an ash cloud can be catastrophic, as the rock particle essentially sand blast the blade, and destroy the Turbines. rendering them more than useless. See report on the BA 747 that hit an ash cloud.

if there is any light aircraft buzzing around, or other military types, that is probably as they only operate at low level and not high enough to be affected by the cloud.

The point though is that the UK Airspace is the gateway to the Atlantic routes. if the UK Airspace to closed to high level transit then there is NOTHING going to or from Europe to USA.

The other point is depending on how long this cloud hangs around will determine how long the flights are grounded. When the CAA say that airspace will be close until 0700 tomorrow, that means they will reassess at that time. if it is still there, The space will remain closed!.

Additionally if the volcano is continuing to erupt. then more ash comes and it will only stop when the eruption does. or the prevailing winds change!

All good fun

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
Looking on the bright side of this, these tempory flight ban's will enable us UK people to spot UFO'S today and tonight because if theres something up there, then it shouldnt be there. Unless its an emergency flight...
Also we should be able to see Mercuary at its best tonight.

I think the ban will carry on until tommorow, due to the weather not changing on this ''clear sky'd'' day, also, im getting a lovely tan! ..Well cooking more like. Havnt seen the Sun in ages!

indeed! whaha will be looking up in the skies tonight for sure!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This happened about 10 years ago too (1999 I think?). I was flying from London to the US. Though it wasn't bad enough to ground the flights, we had to take an alternative route because of the ash.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join