It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Says Walnuts Are Drugs and Doritos Are Heart Healthy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
FDA Says Walnuts Are Drugs and Doritos Are Heart Healthy
This is a call to action. Your freedom to eat real food—and even to hear the truth about it—are under attack.
by Heidi Stevenson

14 April 2010

www.gaia-health.com...

In its latest salvo against our health and freedom, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning to Diamond Foods stating that their claims for the health promoting qualities of walnuts have moved them from a food to a drug. At the same time, it allows Frito-Lay to advertise its health-destroying chips (crisps in the UK) as "heart healthy".

This is an attack on both your health and your right to free speech. The FDA is not interested in the science. It's not interested in your health. It's not interested in the truth. It's interested only in supporting its corporate masters. To this end, it uses its massive power to shut down the truth and ignore blatant lies when it's beneficial to big corporate players.

*SNIP*

The FDA is making a concerted attack on freedom of speech. It doesn't matter if a statement can be backed up. The suppression of the most basic right guaranteed by the Bill of Rights is under concerted attack. Worse, it's your health on the line.

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Thu Apr 15 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
If - and I am saying if - this is true have we just seen Codex Alimentarius begin to rear its ugly head?

en.wikipedia.org...

The Codex Alimentarius (Latin for "food code" or "food book") is a collection of internationally recognized standards, codes of practice, guidelines and other recommendations relating to foods, food production and food safety. Its name derives from the Codex Alimentarius Austriacus.[1] Its texts are developed and maintained by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, a body that was established in 1963 by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The Commission's main aims are stated as being to protect the health of consumers and ensure fair practices in the international food trade. The Codex Alimentarius is recognized by the World Trade Organization as an international reference point for the resolution of disputes concerning food safety and consumer protection.[2][3]

Sounds alright but...

Controversy

The controversy over the Codex Alimentarius relates to a perception that it is a mandatory standard for food - including vitamin and mineral supplement - safety. Supporters of the Codex Alimentarius say that it is a voluntary reference standard for food and that there is no obligation on countries to adopt Codex standards as a member of either Codex or any other international trade organization. From the point of view of its opponents, however, one of the main causes of concern is that the Codex Alimentarius is recognized by the World Trade Organization as an international reference standard for the resolution of disputes concerning food safety and consumer protection.[2][3] Proponents argue that the use of Codex Alimentarius during international disputes does not exclude the use of other references or scientific studies as evidence of food safety and consumer protection.

It is reported that in 1996 the German delegation put forward a proposal that no herb, vitamin or mineral should be sold for preventive or therapeutic reasons, and that supplements should be reclassified as drugs.[4] The proposal was agreed, but protests halted its implementation.[4] The 28th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission was subsequently held July 4 - July 9, 2005.[5] Among the many issues discussed were the "Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements"[6], which were adopted during the meeting as new global safety guidelines.[7] This text has been the subject of considerable controversy, in part because many member countries may choose to regulate dietary supplements as therapeutic goods or pharmaceuticals or by some other category. The text does not seek to ban supplements, but subjects them to labeling and packaging requirements, sets criteria for the setting of maximum and minimum dosage levels, and requires that safety and efficacy are considered when determining ingredient sources. The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO) have stated that the guidelines are "to stop consumers overdosing on vitamin and mineral food supplements." The Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) has said that the guidelines call "for labelling that contains information on maximum consumption levels of vitamin and mineral food supplements." The WHO has also said that the Guidelines "ensure that consumers receive beneficial health effects from vitamins and minerals." [8]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
It's normal. Our freedoms are slowly being taken away. It's okay though no one can stop them

Welcome to the show

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingdom of darkness
It's normal. Our freedoms are slowly being taken away. It's okay though no one can stop them

Welcome to the show

It defies me how we have reached this point in history and are now inexplicably completely incapable of taking care of our own damn business without the nanny Government telling us what is best for us as if we are too stupid to know.

That's the nice version.

The real reasoning behind all of this is the ultimate power grab and you have to be walking blind not to see it. And of course Cough...Depopulation, but I'm not even opening that can of worms.

Even a child knows when his body needs peas....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
i don't think the FDA are saying "walnuts are drugs", i think they're saying that they are being promoted as a drug. if diamond are making more of the supposed health benefits of walnuts than they are of the taste, then i agree, they are marketing walnuts as a medicine.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Based on claims made on your firm's website, we have determined that your walnut products are promoted for conditions that cause them to be drugs because these products are intended for use in the prevention, mitigation, and treatment of disease.

You are being promoted

Because of these intended uses, your walnut products are drugs

I think when the FDA calls you a drug, you are a drug.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Nowadays almost anything is considered a drug

If it's legal now then it becomes illegal. Nothing to see here folks move along

All aboard All board. It's like when the jewish people got onto the trains to the extermination camps and did not put up a fight

Exactly what's happening to us only we are just becoming slaves. Yep sooner or later it will be illegal for anyone to be walking the streets at night unless you carry a license.

yep

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
grow yer owwwwn nuts.

-

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
In the UK or Ireland (I forget which as I'm on the border and get confused), it is illegal to sell walnut husks. Police have raided health food shops and closed them down for selling them - among other, equally harmless and very good-for-you products. It disgusts me that they are allowed to do that. Granted, you can get cyanide from them, but it is still absolutely ridiculous. Walnut husks are extremely good for you, and there is no way in hell these moronic laws against them are for our own good.

EDIT: Husks or kernals, I forget which. Could be both!

EDIT 2: I would also like to point out, in light of the post below me, that the law applies even to medical herbalists giving people the walnut. Medical herbalists do the same training as traditional doctors, and then some. I know one who did 7 years training as a doctor BEFORE she went on to three of four years herbalist training - so to say that she is not qualified is an absolute joke, but that is exactly what these morons are doing.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by ShadowArcher]

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
That article left out an entire paragraph explaining the "your walnuts are drugs" line.

Diamond Food Inc. 2/22/10

Because of these intended uses, your walnut products are drugs within the meaning of section 201 (g)(1)(B) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 321(g)(B)]. Your walnut products are also new drugs under section 201(p) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 321(p)] because they are not generally recognized as safe and effective for the above referenced conditions. Therefore, under section 505(a) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 355(a)], they may not be legally marketed with the above claims in the United States without an approved new drug application. Additionally, your walnut products are offered for conditions that are not amenable to self-diagnosis and treatment by individuals who are not medical practitioners; therefore, adequate directions for use cannot be written so that a layperson can use these drugs safely for their intended purposes. Thus, your walnut products are also misbranded under section 502(f)(1) of the Act, in that the labeling for these drugs fails to bear adequate directions for use [21 U.S.C. § 352(f)(1)].

21 U.S.C. § 321
21 U.S.C. § 352
21 U.S.C. § 355

If they're advertising their walnuts as being able to lower chances of heart attacks, cancer and help cure depression, then I'd have to agree with the FDA on this one.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Good stuff Jenna you turned up more than I had uncovered. Once again the uniqueness of the ATS membership shines through.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Now for researching the Codex, this is what I've been concerning about surfacing. I've mentioned it a few times, Obamacare, and now Bill C-6 in Canada link us to it & the nwo.

Codex allows Deadly Pesticides
Although Codex says it is focused on "Consumer Protection" the Codex Alimentarius Commission now allows seven of the 12 deadliest compounds on earth to be used on food. These seven deadly pesticides are banned by US law and the Stockholm Convention, which the US and every member of Codex signed.

The Stockholm Convention, signed by 176 countries including the United States (May 2005) commits the signatories to eliminate world's 12 most dangerous Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs . The (CAC)Codex Alimentarius Commission, (made up of 171 countries, including the US, uses consensus to set the world’s rules for international trade in food) allows seven of the twelve agreed upon killer POPs to be used in the production of foods as varied as milk, soy oils, cotton seed, citrus fruits, eggs, poultry, cereal grains, pineapples, leafy and root vegetables, legumes and others.

POPs remain intact in the environment for long periods, become widely distributed geographically, accumulate in the fatty tissue of living organisms and are highly toxic to humans and wildlife. They increase brain, bladder, biliary, lung, breast and other cancers, cause damage to the kidney, liver, adrenals and thyroid, can cause decreased fertility, immune suppression, diabetes, porphyria, cardiovascular disease, fatal skin lesions especially in children and nursing infants (“pink sore”), headache, dizziness, nausea, general malaise, and vomiting, followed by muscle twitching, myoclonic jerks and convulsions.

All of the killer POPs pose shared health threats but each has its own special hazards. Endrin, for example, is 2-4 times more toxic than the better known DDT, and tends to accumulate in children. Chlordane, banned in the US in 1988, paralysis cancer-fighting cells and doubles rates of lung and brain cancer in exposed persons. As a group, the seven deadly pesticides are known to increase the effects of the other toxic substances. Codex allows them in food.

emphasis in article
www.globalhealingcenter.com...

If someone can can unravel the official justifications "why" for this, it would be newsworthy.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kingdom of darkness

I'm beginning to see that more and more as I poured through the FDA letters on the site Jenna brought to our attention. I guess Cheerios really "are" that good for you...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

So it doesn't matter what they put in the foods just so long as they don't make medicinal claims about it. So feel free to market poison as a by-product in our food just don't suggest it's good for anyone and the FDA will spend its time splitting hairs with admittedly healthy products - just not "as" healthy as they claim. got it!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
i don't think the FDA are saying "walnuts are drugs", i think they're saying that they are being promoted as a drug. if diamond are making more of the supposed health benefits of walnuts than they are of the taste, then i agree, they are marketing walnuts as a medicine.

I don't see how the Dairy Council can spout the 'Milk, it does a body good.' catchphrase without turning milk and products derived from it into drugs.

Diamond cited scientific studies that show various health benefits of chemical components of walnuts. If they said that walnuts cure a specific ailment or disease, I missed that.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by pieman

I don't see how the Dairy Council can spout the 'Milk, it does a body good.' catchphrase without turning milk and products derived from it into drugs.

Diamond cited scientific studies that show various health benefits of chemical components of walnuts. If they said that walnuts cure a specific ailment or disease, I missed that.

Oh, surely there has been some palm pressing in the Good Ole Boy network on this one...wink wink, nudge, nudge. You don't really think Cheerios are that good for you do you?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Have you lost your effing marbles? Are you serious? FOOD IS HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET THY MEDICINE BE THY FOOD AND THY FOOD BE THY MEDICINE! Food comes from nature,,,,,,many drugs come from nature..........penicillin comes from moldy bread. If I let my bread sit out and mold and eat it ist he FDA gonna come arrest me? Screw the corrupt and tyrannical FDA! They are a joke and in now way serve to protect the consumer.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It really is laughable, the path we're heading down with the FDA as controller of all food and drugs; sad but laughable.

I've seen the exact same threatening letter sent to another food producer recently but they grew cherries, not walnuts.

It's all about blurring the lines for the public when it comes to the difference between real food versus fake food. The FDA doesn't want you or your children to be able to discern any nutritional difference between the two.

A large portion of kindergarten kids today can't even tell the difference between a potato and a cauliflower which is pathetic.

All they are being taught about food is the difference in taste between one processed meal and another, how to cater to their taste buds, and what to crave when they're hungry.

Even many parents today don't know the difference between fake and real food.

The ones that manage to take a minute to look past the dazzling "healthy heart" logos and "diabetes association approved" boxes on the shelves are being trained to look at that ridiculous white "nutritional information" box and completely ignore the list of ingredients within the product.

Real foods like walnuts and cherries should have mandatory labeling stating they are healthy for the body, help prevent disease and promote healthy organs and tissues.

But the FDA, well, that's the FDA.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by StrangeBrew]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If you shrug your shoulders and admit this is going on, and do nothing, you may as well be doing it yourself.

What are you going to do about this? Today, tomorrow, next week, what will you do?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

You do all you can to empower yourself with information and help the people you care about to make positive changes with the foods they eat while underscoring the importance of real foods versus fake foods.

If you want to take on the food lobbies and the pharmaceutical industry who use the FDA to promote and protect their products, then you should first start by organizing an army.

Then you have to get the public to pay attention to your army so that they'll want to change the system from the inside out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join