It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Try to Quit Nicotine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Tried this before, but now I have a valid reason.

I've been suffering from pains in my diaphragm for years. I've been keeping quiet about it for just as long. When I moved together with my girlfriend, she took notice of my frequent cramps of agony and persuaded me into seeing a doctor.
I had to agree, it was about time. I couldn't even laugh hard without it turning into a painful ordeal...that kinda deprives my life of a lot of quality.

Went to the doctor last monday (12th of April) and had a Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (that's 26-letters), also known as gastroenterology.
No need to say it was pure hell. I was awake the whole time (took like 3 minutes, felt like hours!) at it hurt!

So, anyway, it turns out I have this inflamed Hiatus Hernia, which is a hernia just where the esophagus, or gullet, meets the stomach.
Now, the hernia itself doesn't hurt, people can have that all their life without even taking notice of it; but the inflammation is the source of my discomfort.

I got some medication that I am to eat once a day for a month. Then I'll go back and have the throat torture done on me again...
...and hopefully, the inflammation will be gone (the hernia won't heal without surgery though, but I don't think I need that). 90% of the patients are content with the medication treatment.

But... There is this crappy side of this as well.
To avoid the hernia from getting worse (and eventually leading up to surgery), I need to make lifestyle adjustments.
Less or no more;
Alcohol
Greasy food
Acidic/sweet food/drinks
Late meals
Tobacco products...

In other words, no more fun.

Seriously, this is depressing the crap outta me.
Call me a "cry baby" or whatever, but this really takes away alot of freedom. I hate "considering" things; I much rather just do stuff that I feel like doing.
But I guess this is the new way for me. Hopefully I can have a few beers, if I stick to these rules for a year or so, without having a vulcanic apocalypse going off in my gut...and that would actually be an improvement. I guess... *sigh*

Now, the only part of the list I can really do without are the tobacco products. Not that I want to in any way, but I know it's bad for me and all that, so I might as well.

I don't smoke too often (haven bought a pack of smokes since New Year's) so that won't be a problem (at least I don't think so).
What I do use, however, is the dreaded "snus", or "snuff" as it is also called, and it is a real gut-buster (it wouldn't surprise me if the snus caused the hernia in the first place).
Snus is something typically Scandinavian; pouches of ground tobacco (with flavouring) that one puts under the upper (sometimes lower) lip and keeps it there for 20-30 minutes or so. There is also a kind of snus that is just ground up tobacco that you "bake" to a little ball, but that stuff is just too gross (even for me!).

The nicotine emission from the snus is constant (until the serving is drained) and equals to 3 or 4 cigarettes.
I use, let's say, 10 each day at work (I tend to use much less when I am off duty) so that means I am pretty much addicted to nicotine.

The normal day starts off with the first suns being taken at 7 a.m.
It is now 9.20 am and I have still not taken one... I do have a box of it in my locker since I find it easier to deny myself than being denied. Besides, last time I tried to quit, I got a severe head ache and I still have to be able to do my job...

I have noticed that cutting down your snus consumption is much about when you take the first one in the morning. The earlier you take one, the more you will have during the day, and vice-versa.

I have to admit, I am feeling very itchy and I just got an angry complaint via e-mail from a customer so I really feel like having some nicotine before I go totally:
:bash:
:bnghd:
(which I propably will before this day is over).

I have not set my mind on quitting this very moment but it is my intention.
Hopefully, this thread will grow long and finally end up with me being quit (one of my many) demons.
All support is welcome; I need you guys on this one!!!

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Raud]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Okay, this is getting a bit bothering...

I can't sit still, constantly pacing back and forth...talking with to collegues (they will grow tired of that pretty soon).

There is a pack of smokes on the front desk. I want one... Just one...

It's like a million ants are running through my veins.

And the worst part is that I have lost track of something...something very important for my work...this makes me nervous...I could really have a smoke to calm down a bitsy....

DAUM this is getting harder by the minute!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I just had lunch, thinking it might calm my nerves a bit...
...but that missing object hasn't turned up yet, offering me no rest.

It's like there is this voice inside me; giving me all the right reasons to have a smoke (I'd rather have a smoke than a snus, which is also what the voice is telling me; a cig is better than a snus...less nicotine...plus I said I was quitting snus, not smokes....and I'm not a smoker anyway so it doesn't really matter...)

The head ache is creeping up on me as well... Not quite here just yet, but I feel a slight pinch, as if from a nail, in the back of my head...

My only comfort is that the longer I wait and hold on, the more stupid it would be to break it. I mean, it would be better to fail directly in the morning than waiting all day and doing it just before it's nearly over....right?

Damn...I don't know if I can take it.
Knowing from previous attemps, this terror will keep on going for weeks, if not months on end... In fact, it doesn't really ever stop!
The rusty claws of the nicotine devil digs deep scars...

Writing about my anguish does help, however

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I found that item now.
I was a huge relief....but the urge for a "fix" won't decline.

I have my girlfriend's support though...she doesn't smoke or anything so I guess I'll prove to her I can make it... But I'm not sure I can.

Writing about this really helps alot.
I mean, the bigger deal I make of this, the harder it would feel to fail.

Gotta go back to chewing on my fingernails now.
Write more later.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You know dang well I am rootin for ya friendo

You and I have gotten alot of talk time and I enjoy it...so I am in your corner...

I'm gonna do something I don't normally do...but it's you...

Usually one dose of Billie cures all...let's try it

Seriously though....gum, patches...whatever ya gotta do to beat this

Hit me up with a U2U if ya start falling

NWT

NWT 2

-Kyo

[edit on 15-4-2010 by KyoZero]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yey!

5 more minutes and I will have made it!

One whole day at work without nicotine!

I feel like such a champ...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Well good luck i found that the best way to stop is with the morning thing, if you can just avoid that first one in the morning you would be good. I would not go with the gum or patches because i do not think there is a huge difference between having a piece of gum giving you nicoteen and a little pouch of tobacco giving it to you.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

and reply to post by zaiger

Thanks you guys!

Kyo, my buddy, that pic really helps!

There is so much compassion in her eyes. It's like she is supporting me and feeling sorry for me (without the pity).
I'm gonna do this man, and I'm gonna prevail too!

Zaiger; I agree totally. It is the nicotine I want to rid myself off. Why should I then start getting addicted to gum or some stupid band-aid? Then I could just keep on smoking. At least that makes you look cooler...

I'm now on day two, and it is already past noon. The sun is up and I have to go by my workplace to pick up some stuff for my job tonight (different location).

It's gonna feel good to breathe some fresh air...

I hear that after day two, the body has rid itself from nicotine, and then it's two weeks to rid the mind...and then there is like two life times to rid the soul...

Well, let's not think of that right now. Another day without that stupid toxin in my body is another victory!

Peace, and all the best to ya!
/Raud

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Another thing that helped is i noticed part of the habbit was going outside for 3 min every once in a while to smoke or dip. So i got a Chess game for my cell phone and set the difficulty up to 10, this made the games last about 4 min because how aggressive the computer would play. So you will be nic free and a better chess player at the end f it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
There's always a siren, singing you to shipwreck.

Often times it is not just the nicotine, but everything that goes along with the habit which makes it hard to break. For instance, you could help alleviate your oral fixation with a close friend, ... or something more practical, like candy.

also I used to think patches sucked as well. Untill I was hospitalized for a week and forced to use them. Their great !! no cravings at all !. your body is still getting a little nicotine, but its not in an unhealthy fashion. and you eventualy use weaker patches untill your done completely. I think it's the way to go.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Hello all!

So, I've been on this for a couple of days now, almost a week!

So far, I have gained 10kgs of body mass!

Luckily, I was about 10kgs underweight to begin with (at least if you believe the BMI system...I'm sceptical though).

No, seriously, that weight gain has been going on for a couple of months, can't blame it all on the nicotine :'(

While off duty, there was actually no problem at all for me. I guess with this motivation, it's much easier than just quitting for the hell of it.
Right now, however, I am back at work and this is where the cravings dwell...

Hopefully, the past few days of non-smoking and non-snusing will have made it easier on me. But I tell you; as soon as I sat down in this God-forlorn office chair, my arm almost automatically went: down, into pocket - pick up box - open - place snus under lip - sigh of relief.
That pattern of movement goes to the core of my spine...

Thank you Zaiger and I.B. for your input! Your support matters!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Hang in there Raud. I would make a joke about nobody liking a quitter but I don't think you need that right now.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yo yo everyone!

It's been 8 days now without nico-tico-tine!

Overall, it hasn't been much of an ordeal.
I've been off for a couple of days which I spent at home sick (flu) so I didn't even feel like smoking or any such crap...but now, as soon as I am back in some kind of good health, sitting in this worn out office chair....in front of this tired computer monitor....at work...it's like I am having phantom pains under my lip!

Will I ever defeat this want?
Will it go away if I change work?
Will Will sign his will or will Will not?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Congratulations, Raud on quitting tobacco! I recently quit myself so I know what you're going through.

Chammomile tea (instead of coffee) in the morning helps to keep you calm and steady and not feeling like you need to beat the sass out of people who are sucking up your air space.

I noticed that it took longer to do simple tasks after I quit because lighting and smoking a cigarette were always part of the routine before. Without the routine of smoking, just the act of starting my car and backing down the driveway required thought and planning instead of automatic reaction.

Had to change the muscle memory that went with a lifetime of smoking while doing any and everything. It's getting easier.

I used the patches the first 2 days and I forgot to put one on the 3rd day. Haven't used them since.

You're doing a great job!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Congratulations, Raud on quitting tobacco! I recently quit myself so I know what you're going through.

Chammomile tea (instead of coffee) in the morning helps to keep you calm and steady and not feeling like you need to beat the sass out of people who are sucking up your air space.

I noticed that it took longer to do simple tasks after I quit because lighting and smoking a cigarette were always part of the routine before. Without the routine of smoking, just the act of starting my car and backing down the driveway required thought and planning instead of automatic reaction.

Had to change the muscle memory that went with a lifetime of smoking while doing any and everything. It's getting easier.

I used the patches the first 2 days and I forgot to put one on the 3rd day. Haven't used them since.

You're doing a great job!

*reading while sippin on a cuppa*

Thank you for your support!

Really interesting what you said about routines getting screwed up... I totally understand what you mean, but with snus it's a bit different.
Maybe it will be harder to drink beer properly this summer; you know, the bottle neck in the eye, beer goes into the ear and so on

Camomille tea is carefully noted, thank you for the tip.

Peace and all the best!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
im with you bro,start the healing (: throw that nicotine crap in the garbage
YOUR STRONG ENOUGH TO START A NEW WAY OF LIFE!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

YEAH! That's what I'm talking about! USA! USA! USA!

Seriously; thank you sir for the kind words!
Your support does matter!

With gratitude;
/Raud

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
goog luck and keep up. I have started today and damn its so hard

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

We are in this together!

When ever the urge gets too much, write! It keeps the fingers busy and it always feels good to pour your heart out when you are in agony.

You have all to win and nothing to lose!

Just think of that A) Your are denying the tobacco industry (which is really really evil) your hard earned cash, and B) tobacco farms aren't really the most environmentally friendly ones, so in a way you will do a good thing for mother earth as well!

You are going to make it! You know you can. It's all in the head.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
its what im here for,60% of the time i write threads about my problems XD
40% i say something kind to support others XD being nice is good ja
like there was some girl at work that was hitting on me,she is really arrogant and all,and one time she was next to me,sayd "screw tabex" and lighted up a cigarete... do i really want to be with a woman who cant even quit cigaretes?
heck its not like im defeating my problems but still XD
people who dont smoke are just way more cool man!
-------- and no im not sexyst heres another story for a MAN
i had a friend once in school,he was smoking all the time like a cool guy.
he was always sayng "dude i got so many problems,you have none"
he was always borowing money,and making jokes on my back infront of other girls. now hes like a criminal or something,i dont know,but the failed a lot
couse i cuted him,i dont want moochers for friends.
and me? im dreaming about the porsche im going to buy if i get the job interview,and i dont smoke!
so if you want to find a good use for cigaretes,make them into nicotine poison with water and water the plants so they dont get bugs infested. nicotine is harmless for plants i think

top topics

<<   2 >>

join