It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror nuke? Hunker down. No Federal help for up to 72 hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Good luck getting help if your city is nuked by a 'terrorist' device!

From 4/14/10 USA Today...

"The White House has warned state and local governments not to expect a "significant federal response" at the scene of a terrorist nuclear attack for 24 to 72 hours after the blast, according to a planning guide."

More...

"A 10-kiloton nuclear explosion would level buildings within half a mile of ground zero, generate 900-mph winds, bathe the landscape with radiation and produce a plume of fallout that would drift for hundreds of miles, the guide says. It was posted on the Internet and sent to local officials."

"The document is designed to help local officials craft plans for responding to a nuclear blast. The prospect is anything but far-fetched, says Rick Nelson of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "Do I think in my lifetime I'll see the detonation of a nuclear device? I do."

One challenge he says, will be to persuade survivors to stay indoors, shielded from dangerous radiation until they're given the all-clear or told to evacuate. "In all likelihood, families will be separated," he says. "It's going to be scary to sit tight, though it's the right thing to do."

The government's planning scenarios envision a terrorist strike in an urban area with a 10-kiloton device, slightly smaller than the roughly 15-kiloton Hiroshima bomb. A 10-kiloton device packs the punch of 10,000 tons of TNT.

The chaos that would inevitably follow such a blast would make it difficult for the federal government to react quickly. "Emergency response is principally a local function," the document says, though "federal assistance will be mobilized as rapidly as possible."

"Disaster experts say local governments aren't prepared for a nuclear attack. "There isn't a single American city, in my estimation, that has sufficient plans for a nuclear terrorist event," says Irwin Redlener of Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health.

The message for families is simple, he says: Stay put. Wait for instructions. If you've been outside, dust off, change, shower. "What citizens need to know fits on a wallet-sized card," Redlener says. "A limited amount of information would save tens of thousands of people."

Link to full story... www.usatoday.com...

---------------------

Kind of interesting that the Feds wouldn't mobilize any relief for 24 - 72 hours. I suppose that has to do with testing levels of radiation before sending in the National Guard or Red Cross workers. Basically, what they're saying is... 'folks, you're on your own if your city gets nuked unless and until it's safe for federal workers to go in there.' First responders will be local? Something tells me there won't be much help. Hunker down is the best advice they have.

This story was on Drudge along with this one...

Obama Administration Hyping Terrorist Nuclear Risk

Link: www.washingtontimes.com...

Here's an excerpt from that article...

"The new focus on nuclear terrorism emerged recently in the Nuclear Posture Review report made public last week that identified nuclear terrorism as "today's most immediate and extreme danger."

---------------------

Strong words... 'most immediate and extreme danger'.

Interesting how they're raising awareness of this terror nuke possibility. Some would say an event like that, as horrible as it would be, might fall under the category of false flag op. In that case, we could expect a new Patriot Act on steroids.

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title and added "External Source" tags.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

What do you expect? Do you expect people to risk radiation poisoning just to get your unprepared ass some bottled water?

Seriously...

Is 72 hours too long?

Literally no healthy person in the world would die from being trapped with no supplies for 72 hours, if you aren't too chicken to drink your own urine.

You won't starve in 72 hours, thats for sure.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by denialofignoranceattack]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by denialofignoranceattack

Pretty much what you said.

I mean, the government's job is to protect its citizens from attacks such as this and if an attack like this happens they've already failed that job. They need to get there ASAP but I don't think I EXPECT them to. Seems, though, like they're all over the places you dont want them to be and nowhere to be found where we need them to be. Good job gov.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
whats with all this terror nuke i keep hearing about?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
My god. If it's not 2012, it's a 'terror nuke'. You people are paranoid.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Here's a link to another thread about this topic...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I find it interesting that they are saying 24 - 72 hours. That's a wide response time range. They're estimating something similar to Hiroshima.

From Wiki...

"The Hiroshima prefectural health department estimates that, of the people who died on the day of the explosion, 60% died from flash or flame burns, 30% from falling debris and 10% from other causes. During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns, radiation sickness, and other injuries, compounded by illness. A plausible estimate of the total immediate and short term cause of death, 15–20% died from radiation sickness, 20–30% from flash burns, and 50–60% from other injuries, compounded by illness. Since then, more have died from leukemia (231 observed) and solid cancers (334 observed) attributed to exposure to radiation released by the bombs.[6] In both cities, most of the dead were civilians."

The Feds have suits that protect first responders against radioactive fallout. Seems to me they could muster some relief aid quicker than 24 - 72 hours.

There would be people on the periphery seriously wounded but not fatally.

The Gov should have rapid response teams ready to take action in less than 24 hours. Determine the ground zero location. Protect the first responders against fatal radiation exposure (suits and time limits for being in the hot zone), give them a geographical radius on a map to show the dividing line where outside that radius help can and should be rendered and inside the line it's too dangerous.

It should not take 24 hours to mobilize and implement a rapid response. That's all I'm saying.

During Katrina, it seemed like broadcast journalists responded much faster than any federal relief effort, which we know stinks of criminal negligence.

No, I don't expect the feds to save me. If such an event happens several miles away, I am fully prepared to hunker down for at least 3 weeks. I've got the emergency water, food and other survival supplies to see me through. I just think it would be wrong for the feds to take at least 24 hours to respond to such an event with emergency aid.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
All caps. SO SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just love Matt Drudge, and the people that parrot his fear inducing headlines

Well, at least the incompetent boobs that murderously botched the response to Katrina are gone, so I'm pretty confident the response will be thoughtful and thorough. Like I keep telling people, Obama's not the messiah! It's not like he can fly into ground zero and decontaminate the blast site.

Best,
Skunknuts

P.S. Let's pray that we don't have a '9/11' type event under Obama or any other president's watch. I like what Obama is doing concerning nuclear materials and working with our allies....

[edit on 4/15/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
This nuclear blast would generate a response not from the Federal governemnt but, Homeland Security that would conduct orders to FEMA and from there the orders would be passed down to the citizens corps, which is uhm pretty alarming. What is more alarming is what citizens corps actually is, senior citizens and youth groups.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Maybe I am the minority here, but 24-72 hours seems about right to me. You certainly do not intentionally risk the life of "first responders" if the area is unsafe. One would imagine with the immediate fall out, the area will not be safe to go into right away.

HERE is a show from Spike TV called surviving disaster which covers this scenario. I do not consider this to be without it's flaws, but it is a good way to get some type of idea of exactly what you might have to deal with in such an event.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Personally, i'd be surprised if there was a coherent Federal response within 72 hrs, considering all the chaos and destruction that would ensue.

Depending where the nuke went off, there might not be a Federal response for quite some time, if at all. Now a small "dirty bomb", that might be a little different. I could see ramping up a coherent Federal response within 72 hrs, again depending on the location.

I can't believe people are shocked by this "revelation".

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Right. There's a zone you cannot go into. Outside of that, there is a zone where non-fatal casualties are going to be burns and broken limbs that can be treated.

Look, they've had 65 years to plan the quickest and best response to a Hiroshima-type detonation. The DoD have researched this scenario a thousand times over by now.

They know the threshold radius (actually several concentric circles expanding outward) for varying levels of radiation and the type of protective gear necessary for the outer zones, which no doubt they have stockpiled.

When the inference is that it would take officials about 24 hours to figure out what to do and mobilize, that sounds very sluggish to me.

I'm not expecting thousands of guys to show up in WMD suits in less than 24 hours, but a significant response would most definitely be expected, unless they really don't care and then you're in the possible false flag territory.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This will not happen. More likely, isolated areas may have their utilities suddenly cut and roadbloacks in place and they could be told this happened, when in actuality, nothing of the sort has taken place.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
First responders will not go into a fallout area till the radiation levels have dropped into a 12 hour safe working time. (safe zone to safe zone not on site time.)

This may be longer then 72 hours depending on the weapon used.

A terrorist weapon will be a dirty weapon that does not "burn its complete pit.

This means that the nuclear pit may be 3 to 5 times bigger then the resulting
detonation size.

The unburned nuclear material will cause long lived fallout.

The major nuclear powers have long ago designed there weapons to get the full power from the smallest nuclear pit.

Terrorist do not have this skill and will be lucky if there weapon even goes off.

I was one of those First responders for may years. US Navy trained and a firefighter/EMT with advanced NBC response training

I advice you have a good gas mask or industrial respirator
and a a half dozen pair of hazmat coveralls.
store.pksafety.net...
along with a case of bottled water for each person.

Even particulate respirators are better then nothing.
www.discountsafetygear.com...

Lung damage from fallout in the lungs is imposable to treat.
fallout on your skin is treatable but takes time.
Protect your lungs and skin from derect contact and you will have a lower overall exposure. (less Alpha particles Beta particles)
There is not much you can do about gamma or x-ray radiation except stay indoors and in a area with as much shielding as you can find.
en.wikipedia.org...

Now for the funny part the best radiation shielding out there is one few would believe. even better then lead.
Depleted uranium

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Keep hunkered down and make sure you have enough food and supplies to last at least a week as that is about how long it will take for FEMA and The Red Cross to reach you as assume the infastructure regarding emergency corrdination and response locally is down and unable to help out as for the first week you are on your own.

Supplies is a week's worth of food, medicine, clean clothes, a source for fire, a source of cooling or chilling food, housing to store food. About 4 cases (24- 12 to 16 oz bottles) per person for that week. Bathe only once during this period but use one or two bottles per allotment to clean ourself off to prevent exposure to fallout toxins. A sleeping bag, pillows.

Cheque this out :

Spike TV's "Surviving Disaster" focusing on "Nuclear Attack" :

www.spike.com...

Do exactly everything said in the order in which it is said it can just wind up saving your life.

From initial explosion to the 650mph wave of heat, fire and energy is about 15 minutes, meaning you have 15 minutes from the initial detonation to the blast wall/wave to hit so that is your time to get as far out of and away from Dodge as possible. If escape or evac is not possible find the sturdiest, structurally sound brick brick or thick mortar concrete structure you can find and take up residence in their for the first night. Keep you eyes to the sky and look for falling ash looking crud. That is toxic and if allowed to entre the body through a cut that can and will kill you.

The following is imperative and has been reiterated to me a few firefighter friends of mine as it is apart of the International Firefighters Fraternity :

Stay Calm, Think Clearly, Act Decisively. Some type of structure will need to be setup so that everything remain civil and you don't run the risk of further social collapse. All supply lines must work cohesively and peacefully. Order expulsion for anyone caught stealing or taking more then their ration of the supplies.

In cases like this will make you want to help out a fellow person on the street but if they are bleeding or have a large laceration or cut you are to assume they are infected and leave them be. That is the single hardest decision you will be forced to face head on but the alternative is one infected person in your camp becomes a medical liability to others.

Fallout residue on it's own is not transferable from person to person but the diseases and infections that follow become toxified and pose a direct health threat to you and your camp.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

[edit on 15-4-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

new topics

top topics

join